Author Topic: Rand Paul Coin wants to use DPoS  (Read 22065 times)

Offline fuzzy

People at Facebook seemed confused why Ron Paul coin was going up, so I tried to explain and directed them to the bitcointalk.org and this discussion. There is still a lot of simple things we can do to make this coin more popular. Even the idea of a "snapshot" is little understood beyond our community, and confuses people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/459085124197658/584974178275418/?comment_id=585470368225799&notif_t=like

It isn't the best, but it is a solid explanation:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U_lZo_JJrE

"70% distributed to RPC
20% to BTS (required for full BitShare community support because they have historically supported every coin which has honored this percentage) which would be 10%PTS (original DPOS supporters through mining), and 10%AGS (original DPOS supporters through investing).
10% BTC (the Bitcoin connection will guarantee quicker adoption of your coin because Max Keiser would already be a part owner of the first ever deflationary cryptocurrency controlled by the owners, and not a central mining cartel)"

That seems a good idea. (From a post on Bitcointalk.org)
Sharedrop to Maxcoin if you want Max Keiser's support...why the heck would we sharedrop on Bitcoin to get his backing?  :P

Ron Paul > Rand Paul imho - I would ditch the Rand Paul concept and make it Ron Paul 3.0 instead, Ron Paul BTS, whatever... It would be far more popular and interesting, and the launch thread is already scam and counter scam accusations, so you are better off making a new one, linking it up.

Ron Paul is a legend in the Libertarian circles while Rand Paul is far more controversial. In essence, Rand Paul is a much weaker brand to go with. To be extremely practical, the greatest risk of a celebrity coin is that the celebrity screws something up and damages the brand. Big mouth, says something really dumb. Which Rand Paul could easily do, has done, and there is a high risk to use his name for it. (however you feel about him) Ron Paul is extremely well known and not likely to screw anything up at this point, for people that already love and respect him anyway. I own a little RPC by the way, just because I was saving it up in case cryptos go mainstream. I might even buy some Bitshares as I just like Ron Paul quite a bit, if the branding is changed. Rand Paul, nah, change the brand. No brainer.

That is fine and dandy, but
A) the announcement has already been made and it looks unprofessional to alter something like the Name of the coin after the fact...sad but true.
B) Rand is going to be the next president...not Ron Paul.
   B1) Rand is likely playing poker in a game where he has seen his father fail for being too open about his leanings. 
   B2) Coupling donations to liberty-leaning causes that the younger generation believes in will help show support and give Rand more proof that he has backing from a very powerful liberty-minded constituency---worldwide. 
   B3) Using the name Ron Paul Coin invokes the history of a coin that utterly failed in the eyes of most. 
   B4) Getting Rand Paul in office means Ron Paul will be whispering in his ear.  It also means we have the best crypto Lobbyist in the world in our pocket. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:45:51 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline ronpaulmoneyman

• View Profile
    • RonPaulMoney Site

I replied on bitcointalk. I will likely do most of the interaction there although it is understood there is a lot of support on this forum. It seems preferable to reach out to people on btt.

Offline cryptocc

• View Profile
"70% distributed to RPC
20% to BTS (required for full BitShare community support because they have historically supported every coin which has honored this percentage) which would be 10%PTS (original DPOS supporters through mining), and 10%AGS (original DPOS supporters through investing).
10% BTC (the Bitcoin connection will guarantee quicker adoption of your coin because Max Keiser would already be a part owner of the first ever deflationary cryptocurrency controlled by the owners, and not a central mining cartel)"

That seems a good idea. (From a post on Bitcointalk.org)

Ron Paul > Rand Paul imho - I would ditch the Rand Paul concept and make it Ron Paul 3.0 instead, Ron Paul BTS, whatever... It would be far more popular and interesting, and the launch thread is already scam and counter scam accusations, so you are better off making a new one, linking it up.

Ron Paul is a legend in the Libertarian circles while Rand Paul is far more controversial. In essence, Rand Paul is a much weaker brand to go with. To be extremely practical, the greatest risk of a celebrity coin is that the celebrity screws something up and damages the brand. Big mouth, says something really dumb. Which Rand Paul could easily do, has done, and there is a high risk to use his name for it. (however you feel about him) Ron Paul is extremely well known and not likely to screw anything up at this point, for people that already love and respect him anyway. I own a little RPC by the way, just because I was saving it up in case cryptos go mainstream. I might even buy some Bitshares as I just like Ron Paul quite a bit, if the branding is changed. Rand Paul, nah, change the brand. No brainer.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
People at Facebook seemed confused why Ron Paul coin was going up, so I tried to explain and directed them to the bitcointalk.org and this discussion. There is still a lot of simple things we can do to make this coin more popular. Even the idea of a "snapshot" is little understood beyond our community, and confuses people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/459085124197658/584974178275418/?comment_id=585470368225799&notif_t=like

Offline fuzzy

So I have been in the very beginnings of a relationship with the people running a campaign to help fund Ross Ulbricht's Defense.  Seeing as it would likely not be good for BitShares' current endeavors if delegates from that platform were to help, there seems to be convergence of many factors here that would make Rand Paul Coin a far better candidate. 

There is growing a larger and larger hole where the old Bitcoiners who would have once supported such efforts no longer seem to care as they reach for legitimacy in the main stream (this, of course, is to be expected).  However, a coin like Rand Paul Coin could use this as a means by which to gain legitimacy in the eyes of those who feel it is worth it to back freedom on the internet. 

For those who believe this is folly and that there would not be a large enough following for this, I recommend you see this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglctmMFlq0

I have some questions if you don't mind.  First let me say that I am not exactly for people being able to buy heroin or other hard drugs, but silk road was not necessarily a terrible thing imho...considering the alternative (CIA rings that use primarily U.S. forces and contractors to protect a monopoly on such things).  The illegality of drugs makes them, imho, far more dangerous.  If we are trying to protect people, it is far better to find other ways.

My personal viewpoint on silk road aside, since you are asking for feedback and questions.
1) Can you explain how delegates will be funding Rand's Campaign? 
2) How could primarily libertarian initiatives be funded along side this? 
3) Do you see any potential pitfalls to a plan for initially funding endeavors like this?
4) Would doing so put YOU in danger?

It seems to me that funding the defense of Ross Ulbricht, Edward Snowden and other initiatives that will be appealing to the base that Rand is trying to reach will bring more attention to the issues that fall in line with his father's own past stances.  This would be a wonderful way to help show him there is a substantial and untapped base who is very interested in personal choice and liberty for all.   

I am personally of the opinion he is not too far off from his father, but is forced to "play the game" because he saw how far his father got even with significant backing...for openly opposing both sides of the left-right paradigm.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:46:35 am by fuzzy »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Still time to rename it. You have to constantly make bold decisions in this space and keep looking forward else the past will hold you hostage. I suppose Ron Paul devs would be happy to collaborate as well. Their coin is practically dead, so I'm sure they will appreciate your fresh enthusiasm.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:52:47 pm by CLains »

Offline ronpaulmoneyman

• View Profile
    • RonPaulMoney Site

Hi. I don't have much to add because the link to my bitcointalk.org thread already exists in the OP. There aren't many other things to cover but I am available if someone wants to ask questions. Either by PMing or this thread will work for now.

I'm looking forward to having another DPOS chain out in the wild. This is literally the first coin I've made so I am not a serial altcoin generator. I'm a bit excited.

Wait for BTS for release.
Fork BTS and start on testnet running.
Release RPCD official chain.
Contact exchanges to try to start finding support.

I do wonder if this should not have just named after Ron Paul. It is agreed that Ron Paul was a man of convictions which I do not see so much in his son. His son is definitely more of a Republican working from within the system. Maybe it should have been named  Ron Paul CD and still have the plan to support Rand.

You scare me man. I had to google-check if Ron Paul is alive.

Anyway. Welcome to the forum and  +5% for honoring the social consensus for PTS/AGS holders.

The reason I used past tense is because Ron is no longer active in running as a candidate where Randal is running as a candidate. I was thinking in terms of active politicians and misspoke.  Ron Paul is most assuredly still a man of convictions !

zerosum

Hi. I don't have much to add because the link to my bitcointalk.org thread already exists in the OP. There aren't many other things to cover but I am available if someone wants to ask questions. Either by PMing or this thread will work for now.

I'm looking forward to having another DPOS chain out in the wild. This is literally the first coin I've made so I am not a serial altcoin generator. I'm a bit excited.

I do wonder if this should not have just named after Ron Paul. It is agreed that Ron Paul was a man of convictions which I do not see so much in his son. His son is definitely more of a Republican working from within the system. Maybe it should have been named  Ron Paul CD and still have the plan to support Rand.

You scare me man. I had to google-check if Ron Paul is alive.

Anyway. Welcome to the forum and  +5% for honoring the social consensus for PTS/AGS holders.

Offline ronpaulmoneyman

• View Profile
    • RonPaulMoney Site

Offline fuzzy

So I have been in the very beginnings of a relationship with the people running a campaign to help fund Ross Ulbricht's Defense.  Seeing as it would likely not be good for BitShares' current endeavors if delegates from that platform were to help, there seems to be convergence of many factors here that would make Rand Paul Coin a far better candidate. 

There is growing a larger and larger hole where the old Bitcoiners who would have once supported such efforts no longer seem to care as they reach for legitimacy in the main stream (this, of course, is to be expected).  However, a coin like Rand Paul Coin could use this as a means by which to gain legitimacy in the eyes of those who feel it is worth it to back freedom on the internet. 

For those who believe this is folly and that there would not be a large enough following for this, I recommend you see this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglctmMFlq0

Offline CLains

• View Profile
There is a lot of different assets on NXT already, so maybe we can learn from how they relate to NXT. List of all assets. 

Sidenote: MaidSafe has roughly 10x market cap of Mastercoin!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:49:47 am by CLains »

zerosum

Gamey, I struggle to find the exact point that you are missing. This post of Riverhead's is as good explanation as it gets.

What I am not getting is...  If I have an asset of THINGS.  I have THINGS for sale at 5 BTS per THING.  If the value of BTS goes up or down, how can it not affect the value of THING?  Ok, the price is the same in BTS, but the value measured in something external has changed ?  Is this not true ?

Your THING isn't worth 5 BTS. You're THING is worth whatever it's worth in the real world ($5USD or 15 Apples and 2 Bananas). The number of BTS you need to get $5USD or 15 Apples and 2 Bananas varies. When you bought THING you bought it for 100 BTS. The value of BTS goes to the moon so now when you want to exchange your THING for $5USD or 15 Apples and 2 Bananas you sell it on the internal exchange for 0.01 BTS ~= $5USD (at that time).

Not trying to improve on this explanation  but rather trying to come with another way of saying it.

If you have something worth something of value, it should not matter if you paid for it in USD or EUR. You should pay the same, aka its value.
In other words pricing something in $, does not mean its value depends on the value of the dollar.

I agree.  More or less. This assumes the market is 100% efficient.  I believe in theory of efficient markets just not in short term with markets that have few actors/low liquidity.

If you take value to be what you can immediately sell something for then it obviously can and does change.. At least until prices are corrected.

anyway..  I think I get this and so does everyone who has contributed to this thread on the subject.  A lot of semantic based arguments + me not realizing the true power (existence?) of the UIA:bitUSD on BTS compared to something like NXT.
Actually, the benefit of bitUSD is the same in the system as well as outside of it - stable (crypto) currency.
But for the general ability to trade against any asset, BTS is not the first one to do this. Even my favorite turtle (aka Counterparty) has that functionality. I mean NXT is the exception in that regard. Why they don't allow for that? Ask the developer who makes his wallets as a IQ test, more than as a tool to use. (aka come from somewhere or something, I think)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Gamey, I struggle to find the exact point that you are missing. This post of Riverhead's is as good explanation as it gets.

What I am not getting is...  If I have an asset of THINGS.  I have THINGS for sale at 5 BTS per THING.  If the value of BTS goes up or down, how can it not affect the value of THING?  Ok, the price is the same in BTS, but the value measured in something external has changed ?  Is this not true ?

Your THING isn't worth 5 BTS. You're THING is worth whatever it's worth in the real world ($5USD or 15 Apples and 2 Bananas). The number of BTS you need to get $5USD or 15 Apples and 2 Bananas varies. When you bought THING you bought it for 100 BTS. The value of BTS goes to the moon so now when you want to exchange your THING for $5USD or 15 Apples and 2 Bananas you sell it on the internal exchange for 0.01 BTS ~= $5USD (at that time).

Not trying to improve on this explanation  but rather trying to come with another way of saying it.

If you have something worth something of value, it should not matter if you paid for it in USD or EUR. You should pay the same, aka its value.
In other words pricing something in $, does not mean its value depends on the value of the dollar.

I agree.  More or less. This assumes the market is 100% efficient.  I believe in theory of efficient markets just not in short term with markets that have few actors/low liquidity.

If you take value to be what you can immediately sell something for then it obviously can and does change.. At least until prices are corrected.

anyway..  I think I get this and so does everyone who has contributed to this thread on the subject.  A lot of semantic based arguments + me not realizing the true power (existence?) of the UIA:bitUSD on BTS compared to something like NXT.
I speak for myself and only myself.

clout

You've missed the whole point of bitAssets. Why is BitShares a better asset exchange, because the market isn't going to be Rand Paul Coin vs BTS (or NXT) the market is Rand Paul Coin vs bitUSD.  If there is enough volume in bitUSD the peg will hold better and the price of the asset should not be subject to the volatility of BTS.

I didn't realize that all user-defined assets will be denoted in a bitAssets, but you're just as clueless as me if you think thats the "whole point" of bitAssets.  Someone else in this thread said user defined assets are just like NXT. Well in the NXT wallet there is a market that allows assets to be traded in NXT. So the asset's value is tied into NXT. 

It seems that a user-defined asset can be paired on any market. So the value of the asset will be dependent on the markets it is paired with.  I understand now.  The assumption is that the dominant market will be a bitUSD pair or a different bitAsset. That makes sense. I'm not sure I come to the same conclusions as you guys, because the dominant market could also be BTS.

edit - Or is a BTS:UIA not even allowed ?

The point of bitassets is that they are stable currencies that facility trade in a decentralized manner. BTS is not a currency although it can obviously be used as one. The dominant market could be BTS. The original claim, however, was that if BTS loses value then the value of the assets traded on the platform necessarily have to lose value as well. I think we have all agreed that this is not necessarily true.

Also, you can trade any asset against another.

zerosum