Author Topic: Sparkle - Because real money sparkles!  (Read 25852 times)

Offline bytemaster

The more I get into this, the better it seems.  Invictus and their sharedropping technique can never be accomplished via mining unless done in a way similar to this.  Gives a real reason to buy and hold knowing competition needs to sharedrop on these tokens.

I can actually see sparkle as a means of replacing hybrid pow/pos as it is today.  Pow/dpos is the future for miners.

Proof of Stake always has the initial ownership problem to solve.   

I personally like Sparkle despite being proof of work.    If it will bring BitShares to the attention of POW die hards that won't buy into anything else then I welcome it.   We certainly wouldn't win them over any time soon without Sparkle.   

I would just advise sparkles to be careful with the fork management with our code.  POW has many more forks than DPOS and our fork management code is less robust that may be required for a POW system. 

I would recommend this community look at Sparkles as an advertising/marketing play and help this guy out.   We all are getting an initial cut in it so it isn't a threat to us personally if we hold/help.   It could actually boost BitShares and/or fill a market segment that we do not / cannot occupy.   Why leave money on the table. 

If we don't support Sparkle then someone could take Sparkle and do a 0% pre-mine and we would get nothing.   

Lets make the best of Sparkle.   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
 +5% This sounds interesting, good luck :)

Offline fuzzy

The more I get into this, the better it seems.  Invictus and their sharedropping technique can never be accomplished via mining unless done in a way similar to this.  Gives a real reason to buy and hold knowing competition needs to sharedrop on these tokens.

I can actually see sparkle as a means of replacing hybrid pow/pos as it is today.  Pow/dpos is the future for miners.

If only we had an exchange of our own where all these could be traded...oh wait. Bts is going to do that pretty well ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:22:55 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
Is this on the testchain? Can you post the url for the source? I'll see if I can setup a seed on my dev server.

Also if you haven't already give a read of the Play allocation threads. Showing a willingness to adjust your distribution share drops can get messy. Not saying don't do it...Just worth a read so you go into it eyes opened.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks Riverhead!   https://github.com/sparkle5/Sparkle

If you can post an IP/PORT I add it to the default list to help people connect to the test network.

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
WOW big changes for less than 24h. Sparkling changes should I say. (3x faster blocktimes and 3X more dilution)

I will reserve any more comments for now cause in 48h you may have gone to 5 sec blocktimes and 240% dilution...
It seem you have solid plans, that one can comment on.

Initial feed back was that 1 minute would be too slow, so I did some research on fastest sustainable POW times and it seems Ethereum's blog has looked at all the issues and concluded that 12 seconds is the best the internet can support for propagation delay Dilution rate didn't change.   
and to minimize orphans I went with 20 seconds.   

Other than that I am keeping this as clean and simple as possible.   

Several people have asked me to share drop on BTS.    If I can get some help from the BTS community I will consider doing a 30/30/30 drop.

How comes - 3x more blocks, same new Sparks per block? Should be some higher math, than the one thought in my middle school?

Err... you are right.  I will go hide now.   

zerosum

WOW big changes for less than 24h. Sparkling changes should I say. (3x faster blocktimes and 3X more dilution)

I will reserve any more comments for now cause in 48h you may have gone to 5 sec blocktimes and 240% dilution...

Initial feed back was that 1 minute would be too slow, so I did some research on fastest sustainable POW times and it seems Ethereum's blog has looked at all the issues and concluded that 12 seconds is the best the internet can support for propagation delay Dilution rate didn't change.   
and to minimize orphans I went with 20 seconds.   

Several people have asked me to share drop on BTS.    If I can get some help from the BTS community I will consider doing a 30/30/30 drop.

How comes - 3x more blocks, same new Sparks per block? Should be some higher math, than the one thought in my middle school?

Offline Riverhead

Is this on the testchain? Can you post the url for the source? I'll see if I can setup a seed on my dev server.

Also if you haven't already give a read of the Play allocation threads. Showing a willingness to adjust your distribution share drops can get messy. Not saying don't do it...Just worth a read so you go into it eyes opened.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:10:28 pm by Riverhead »

Offline sparkles

• View Profile

Dilution rate didn't change.   

Initial feed back was that 1 minute would be too slow, so I did some research on fastest sustainable POW times and it seems Ethereum's blog has looked at all the issues and concluded that 12 seconds is the best the internet can support for propagation delay and to minimize orphans I went with 20 seconds.   

zerosum

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
I have just completed initial testing.  Miners and workers are now paid properly. 

I am working to set up a seed node and will aim to have a working Mac OS X binary released later tonight.   I am looking for a trusted community member who would be willing and able to build a Windows binary for Sparkle.

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
Sparkle combines the features of BitShares with the consensus of Proof of Work and is targeted at those who don't trust anything other than proof of work. 

All of the "Bitcoin 2.0" block chains are based upon proof of stake or are hobbled by Bitcoin's slow transaction times.   As a result there exists an opening in the market for a next generation system built on top of proof of work.   I recognize that in the BitShares community POW means Proof of Waste, but if you review comments from Bitcointalk and around the web there must be 10's of thousands of proof of work die-hards that are looking for a system they can trust.

Sparkle is attempting to mirror all of the benefits of BitShares while using Proof of Work for its security model.   This will give Sparkle the advantage of allowing many people to try BitShare's unique features for the first time.   

Sparkle is fully honoring AGS/PTS in recognition of their support and belief in many 3rd party DACs.   BitShares will not be honored because of their view of everything else as competition.   

I have been refining the specs a bit since my first post.

0) Spark (SPK) is the base currency
1) 100 million initial allocation among AGS/PTS
2) 20 second average block times 
3) 100 Sparks per block will be created, 50% paid to miner and 50% divided among elected workers.
4) About ~160 million sparks will be created the first year representing 60% of the total supply, After 2 years 75% of the supply, After 3 years 82%

In this thread I hope to have a fresh start where I am looking for those who would like to help with the project and to provide support.  Right now I am looking for someone to host a seed node and help with graphics.   

I would like permission to keep this single thread in general discussion until the DAC has some momentum of its own.