Author Topic: New delegate proposal: btstools.digitalgaia [retired thread]  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
well, given that the user group that the tools are targeted at are delegates, I was expecting them to read the github commits and see whether I had been slacking off or not. If needed, I could post updates here in the forum in a dedicated thread, or setup a blog, but as Cass mentioned, maintaining a blog is some work and would take some time off of the actual work that I'm proposing to do.

If the "facebook for delegates" would be up and running, maybe it would be a good idea to not only make it easy for delegates to publish their proposals/missions/etc., but also to publish reports of what they have been doing/plan to do. Food for thought for whoever will implement that...

It doesn't have to be super long of fancy just something that says what you have accomplished, what you are working on and what you will be doing in the future. Pretty much what you have already written in the OP.

Right now their are 7 delegates above 3% but what happens when there are 20 or 50. It will be hard for the average user to know who they are and what they are doing with those funds without going through tons of forum posts.

Sorry for hijacking your post btw.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Do you have any plans for how voters can follow your work and see your contributions? I think it would be great if developers who want to be transparent could make a weekly delegate blog or something like that, where they describe what they have been working on and can interact with shareholders.
We really need 1 website where we can browse delegates, click their names and have...

• The mission of that delegate
  • Weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc. updates/results
  • Other delegate info such as pay rate, produce, missed etc.

It could easily be added to this.
http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/delegates

Hopefully svk would consider adding this. The forum is a great place to get elected but we need a place where we can see what the 101 delegates are up to.

Offline wackou

I edited my post to set the desired pay rate to 30%, and also added a few more options with low pay-rate in the poll, including one where I keep my 3% delegate, in order to get more precise feedback.

As for the short-term roadmap, another thing I'm planning to do is to add support for building and monitoring Sparkle and DPoS-PTS clients (given that they're forked from BitShares mainline, I expect this to be available quite soon).
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io

Offline wackou

well, given that the user group that the tools are targeted at are delegates, I was expecting them to read the github commits and see whether I had been slacking off or not. If needed, I could post updates here in the forum in a dedicated thread, or setup a blog, but as Cass mentioned, maintaining a blog is some work and would take some time off of the actual work that I'm proposing to do.

If the "facebook for delegates" would be up and running, maybe it would be a good idea to not only make it easy for delegates to publish their proposals/missions/etc., but also to publish reports of what they have been doing/plan to do. Food for thought for whoever will implement that...

edit: TEST EDIT, this is just to see whether it makes sense to have updates by editing a post, rather than posting a new one
edit2: again
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:50:01 pm by wackou »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Do you have any plans for how voters can follow your work and see your contributions? I think it would be great if developers who want to be transparent could make a weekly delegate blog or something like that, where they describe what they have been working on and can interact with shareholders.

good idea … but we should keep in mind also, this eats even time to do …
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline wackou

!!! This thread is now retired, please use the new one for new posts: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12534.0 !!!

Hi all,

My name is Nicolas Wack, and I have been developing in C++ for the last 15 years and python for the last 10 years or so.
You can see some of my projects on my GitHub account (https://github.com/wackou), as I am a fervent believer in open source and free software as a better way of developing software.

Having learned about Protoshares about a year ago now, I have since then been fascinated by the DAC concept and BitShares in general, which is why I decided to run as delegate since the launch of BitShares (and the dry runs before that), and have been developing some tools in order to maintain my delegate easily. This has been open source since the beginning and the source code can be found here: https://github.com/wackou/bts_tools

What the tools do is that they automate a lot of the tedious tasks needed to properly maintain a delegate, such as building a new version, publishing feeds, not forgetting to update the info of your delegate with the version after an upgrade, monitoring of network connections, etc... and will send you an alert by email or iOS push notifications whenever the client crashes or starts missing blocks.

I would like to run a new paid delegate to fund my development of the tools, and further participate in the BitShares ecosystem (eg: I already provide a seed node too, but would like to provide chain nodes, write howtos about setting up a new node, etc.)

Mission

My mission is to enhance the security, stability and overall reliability of the BitShares platform, by making it easier to run a delegate properly, and enforcing good practices. I also have some ideas about making the network more resilient to defects, lack of connectivity and/or directed attacks which I would like to explore if given the opportunity.

These 2 main avenues of development can currently be seen in my previous delegates website:

Now that it is possible to have delegates with a higher pay, I think it makes sense to have a single delegate operating on both these issues with a combined payrate rather than 2 separate ones. Making the network stronger would also now involve multiple delegates getting together and gathering their resources (seed nodes, chain nodes, etc.) rather than me running dozens of them from a single delegate pay.

Short-term roadmap

The roadmap I plan to follow for the short term future is to go on developing the bts_tools, fix bugs and implement feature requests that can be seen in the github issues tracker: https://github.com/wackou/bts_tools/issues

Mainly, I would like the tools to be ultra-reliable (what good is a monitoring tool if it crashes?) and start implementing what is needed in order to monitor specialized nodes (eg: seed nodes, backbone nodes) instead of just delegate nodes.

I do also hereby welcome people in this forum to preferably report bugs/issues/feature requests directly on github as it makes it easier to track what needs to be done.

Long-term roadmap

In the long term, I plan to continue maintaining the delegate tools and make it easy for delegate to perform their duties easily (by writing tutorials, etc.).

Once we know that all delegates are operating in a stable way, I would also like to try to investigate what could be done at higher level in order to ensure that the network functions properly (for instance, I firmly believe that it would be beneficial for the network if it could be ensured that it acts as a small-world network), and would like to build incentives for nodes to coordinate in order to guarantee that, or provide myself nodes that would do that.

This long-term roadmap is still a bit vague (mostly, it's what's described in my previous backbone delegate proposal), but I plan to refine it continuously by updating this post and/or the delegate website.

Closing words

I am currently thinking of running this delegate at a 30% pay rate, as I foresee to only be able to work 5-10 hours/week on it for the coming months, and do not think it would be fair to ask the same as bytemaster, toast, svk, cass, etc. I am of course open to publicly burning some of it in the future if BitShares market cap rises a lot (pretty sure it will ;)) and if the community wants me to
do so.

Before registering the delegate though, I would like to test the water and see whether 30% at current rate seems an adequate pay rate for the value I propose to bring to the ecosystem, so please use the poll at the top of this thread to give your opinion. I will most likely create the delegate in the next few days according to the outcome of the poll.

Thank you for reading this far!

EDIT: changed desired pay rate from 50% to 30% as it seems people think it's more fair
EDIT2: this thread will soon be retired for a new one without the poll (visual noise)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:08:00 pm by wackou »