Author Topic: Hard Questions for Bytemaster  (Read 33152 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
ok to be fair marketing was never really transparent so I have no examples... I have also issues with marketing but my point is that there is no reason for negativity and putting off current and potential new investors..Think positive and hold and great things will eventually come...

Offline Rune

• View Profile
In the past the devs and marketing people were discussing openly everything and others were coming here copying their ideas. I don't want this anymore.

Do you have an example of marketing ideas that were openly discussed and copied? It was before my time, so would be interesting to see. Even if that was the case then I don't think we currently have any real competition, so the benefits of transparency highly outweighs the risks in our current situation, IMO.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I am not sure how to feel about the concerns and questions of this thread...

In the past the devs and marketing people were discussing openly everything and others were coming here copying their ideas. I don't want this anymore.

I know I fully trust by now BM and his economics so I don't want him to put him on the line every time the price is not going well to explain how he spends the funds etc etc..and whenever BTS shoots up no one is asking any questions anymore... We gave him funds so he can spend them however he feels more appropriate. I don't think he is an idiot spending money around for no reason and ofcourse he will not always be correct in all his decisions because believe it or not...he is a human being....so let him be...

Regarding marketing and Brian I feel that these guys could have done a lot more with their huge salaries. I think they aimed too high and things may not have worked as planned and some more basic marketing techniques should have already been implemented a looonnnggg time ago.. However, it is too soon to ask for their head and I definitely don't want them to reveal ANYTHING that could hurt us.

Let everyone do what they know how to do and things will work as planned eventually..

Offline merlin0113

• View Profile
Do we know this for a fact, or is it speculation?

2 months ago we were complaining that every thought of BM and others were instantly posted here.
Now they keep a radio silence on the marketing campaign.
Everyone would really like to know what is planned, but if it gives the competition a chance to run with it, please don't even give us a glimpse.

I think Brian's hands are tied at the moment, the planned marketing campaign, will probably need some of the new features. On/off ramps etc...

So before we start asking for Brians head, let's just wait a bit longer and see what they have planned for us.

The marketing has ALWAYS been radio silent, it's not something new. The only evidence we have of work Brian has done so far is the botched website, which weeks later still says "why bank when you can bitshare" and has a stock photo of life buoy on the front page (it's a wordpress theme so anyone could fix that in less than 10 minutes).

I have simply not seen any evidence that Brian is worth the AGS funds we've paid him (and that we inflated BTS 25% to get control of). I form my opinions only based on evidence, so all the "be patient" doesn't work on me at all. I realize BTS will be extremely successful no matter what, but that doesn't make it any less unfair that someone should get a huge stake for nothing, and the fact that brian isn't even defending himself here is seriously annoying me.

The truth is that if there actually was some big push planned by him we would have already known details of it. People have been complaining about marketing for months, and he would have gone public with parts of his plans long ago, to protect his own interests and secure his bonus. The only scenario where it makes sense for him to keep everything silent is if he has got nothing. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt (and I already have), but this is the only logical conclusion I arrive at from the evidence we have seen.

If we're lucky he has actually been hiding a plan from us this entire time. In that case now is the time for us to force him to reveal it.

Can some one detail the job description of our Marketing Director? Before we putting any blames on someone, we should know what he is responsible for. Which is more important this JD clarification will make employee have no excuses as well as make employee have the right to make decision. I just don't see any Director STYLE when BM have the total control of marketing moves at all. BM is much appreciated to give his instructions, of course, but the marketing director should have the final call anyway which certainly is not the case right now.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

2 months ago we were complaining that every thought of BM and others were instantly posted here.
Everyone would really like to know what is planned, but if it gives the competition a chance to run with it, please don't even give us a glimpse.

I think Brian's hands are tied at the moment, the planned marketing campaign, will probably need some of the new features. On/off ramps etc...

So before we start asking for Brians head, let's just wait a bit longer and see what they have planned for us.

The marketing has ALWAYS been radio silent, it's not something new. The only evidence we have of work Brian has done so far is the botched website, which weeks later still says "why bank when you can bitshare" and has a stock photo of a life buoy on the front page (it's a wordpress theme so anyone could fix that in less than 10 minutes).

I have simply not seen any evidence that Brian is worth the AGS funds we've paid him (and that we inflated BTS 25% to get control of). I form my opinions only based on evidence, so all the "be patient" doesn't work on me at all. I realize BTS will be extremely successful no matter what, but that doesn't make it any less unfair that someone should get a huge stake for nothing, and the fact that brian isn't even defending himself here is seriously annoying me.

The truth is that if there actually was some big push planned by him we would have already known details of it. People have been complaining about marketing for months, and he would have gone public with parts of his plans long ago, to protect his own interests and secure his bonus. The only scenario where it makes sense for him to keep everything silent is if he has got nothing. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt (and I already have), but this is the only logical conclusion I arrive at from the evidence we have seen.

If we're lucky he has actually been hiding a plan from us this entire time. In that case now is the time for us to force him to reveal it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:32:23 pm by Rune »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I think the future of bitShares and every other DAC that comes after it, is a community driven marketing hive mind. With the advent of a completely self funding company, there isn't any need for "insiders" and "outsiders". It's all just the Will of the blockchain. Everything is kept out in the open so shareholders will know who to vote for. Otherwise they will eventually get voted out after long periods of time pass without any tangible results.

Offline graffenwalder

A better question to ask is...
"Will a nice wallet and protocol v1 be done before the end of this month?"

Not a chance. Unless you mean december.

I'm assuming he meant December.

The wallet will never be perfect, it shouldn't be an excuse not to start the marketing.

Bytemaster wants to finish up the core features so he can put out a 1.0 release and then not hard fork it for 6 months.  That way the new adopters brought in by the marketing can see a ready product and not have to download a new version over and over any more.

The bitUSD market also needs more liquidity before we can market to average users. So we need to start getting new users even before the official 1.0 launch. Bitmarket, who is a member of the "official marketing team" knows this, his marketing efforts have already started, so clearly the idea that we shouldn't be doing marketing now is something only Brian thinks, and IMO just seems like an excuse.

I think the real problem is that bytemaster gave Brian a bunch of BTS up front with the expectation that Brian would use it to pay marketing expenses, including salary. However Brian correctly identified that this BTS will soon skyrocket in value, so he doesn't want to sell or spend any of it, his objective is simply to keep as much as possible for himself. I don't blame him for this, it's just natural human behaviour.

What I don't like is that it is Dan, Stan and Toast who have to spend their time coming to this thread to defend Brian. He doesn't post here himself, because he has probably not even seen this thread. He's not an active member of our online community... Is that really the person we want as our "marketing director" (also why on earth does that title exist in a DAC, are we also going to get a CEO?)

Offline Rune

• View Profile

The wallet will never be perfect, it shouldn't be an excuse not to start the marketing.

Bytemaster wants to finish up the core features so he can put out a 1.0 release and then not hard fork it for 6 months.  That way the new adopters brought in by the marketing can see a ready product and not have to download a new version over and over any more.

The bitUSD market also needs more liquidity before we can market to average users. So we need to start getting new users even before the official 1.0 launch. Bitmarket, who is a member of the "official marketing team" knows this, his marketing efforts have already started, so clearly the idea that we shouldn't be doing marketing now is something only Brian thinks, and IMO just seems like an excuse.

I think the real problem is that bytemaster gave Brian a bunch of BTS up front with the expectation that Brian would use it to pay marketing expenses, including salary. However Brian correctly identified that this BTS will soon skyrocket in value, so he doesn't want to sell or spend any of it, his objective is simply to keep as much as possible for himself. I don't blame him for this, it's just natural human behaviour.

What I don't like is that it is Dan, Stan and Toast who have to spend their time coming to this thread to defend Brian. He doesn't post here himself, because he has probably not even seen this thread. He's not an active member of our online community... Is that really the person we want as our "marketing director" (also why on earth does that title exist in a DAC, are we also going to get a CEO?)

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian

We are all aware of the "sector" we are in is change rapidly, right? In this case, one month delay of major marketing moves is necessary but also a luxury. Thus if this is a smart delay or stupid one yet to be see.

It can't be necessary and a luxury simultaneously. On balance it seems to be necessary. Therefore it has to be done.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline merlin0113

• View Profile

We are all aware of the "sector" we are in is change rapidly, right? In this case, one month delay of major marketing moves is necessary but also a luxury. Thus if this is a smart delay or stupid one yet to be see.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Wallet won't be, but the protocol needs to stabilize so that wallet updates can be optional.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont

BTS committee member:jademont

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Will the official marketing team be allowed to start before the end of this month, as has been quoted so many times in the past?

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.