Author Topic: Is the Official Marketing Team Sleeping?  (Read 27540 times)

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Interview requests are starting to roll in from Nullstreet initiatives. All requests have been passed on to marketing.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

merockstar

Also, Brian has to be planning something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it take a giant set to be willing to walk away with a bunch of AGS funds and not say two words about it after revealing your real life identity? I realize the funds were a donation, but there's going to be people who feel some accountability is owed to them in spite of that (I'm not one of them).

Either he's secretly Terminator, sent from the future to destroy the BTS network before it starts, or he's planning something. Note the nonchalance in Dan's response, "I'll let him know to manage his own PR." (or whatever it was he said)

dan just shrugged and yawned, and we're talking about six figures that he paid him (if memory serves).

i stand firm by my wait and see stance on this.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:15:24 pm by merockstar »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Any reason Methodx and Brian can't have a pow wow and compare notes so Methodx can fill in any gaps in Brian's marketing strategy?

Brian says to Methodx "I'm doing X,Y,Z".

Methodx says to BM "I think we need to do A,B,C"

BM and Methodx say to community "Methodx is going to do {ABC} and requires $$$ to do so. {ABC} is complimentary to {XYZ}".

Where {} are sanitized to protect whatever competitive advantages there may be.

Community says "Yay! We trust BM and Methodx. Go for it!".

We've kind of done this already. Also, please keep in mind I spent over 80 hours the week before last planning and strategizing, working on projects and co-ordinating marketing efforts with core team members. I need to start focusing on my real business that makes me actual money... Even if I'm obviously in love with bitshares, reality is starting to set in. There might be a fix in the works that'll get me paid though, so stay tuned.

Offline fuzzy

BP is here in Blacksburg this week and we need to identify what we want from him.   

Here is my assessment:
  1) he cannot create new content only poorly repackage content provided by others
  2) he hires other people to manage social media
  3) he has brought in great talent with Max & Friends and this talent I want to keep.
  4) he cannot produce a website

Here are some changes that are going on:
  1) Social Media is being moved to Adam Earnest & Team
  2) Website is being moved to me + cass + Adam
  3) Max is producing and marketing BitShares.tv
  4) I am starting a blog to talk about things and set vision/goals/etc.
  5) Agent86 is producing more technical papers / educational material

Brian's primary strength has been organizing our presence at conferences and getting us interviews there. 

The challenge that Brian faces is that he found other people to do his work.  He hasn't produced news articles, nor driven media to our website.  He hasn't gotten press in or communicated our idea. 

The nullstreet crowd is busy showing Brian what he should have been doing/organizing this whole time. 

Brian is in sales but he doesn't know what to sell nor what BitShares is.  Every time we talk he asks me "what is BitShares?" in an attempt to get me to explain it for the Nth time.   

Something has to change.  Brian needs to bring measurable results to the table.   We will figure this out this week.

I just want everyone to know that I share your frustration.

The source of my frustration has never been so much that he wasn't doing anything (at least for a long time it wasn't).  What concerned me was his lack of outreach to investors.  The willingness of yourself, and Invictus in general, to be candid and open with the community was one of the largest selling points to me and gave me a level of trust that is rare for any crypto project to deserve.  In fact it drove me to want to help our community grow even more. 

I feel like Brian has ignored this philosophy to his own peril.  Though I agree with bitmarket that we should be thankful for Brian helping find him, I didn't even know Brian found him until just a few weeks ago though!  This fundamental lack of communication from him is severely detrimental to people's perception of his value to the community...and it isn't like he doesn't have ample opportunity and resources through which to communicate!

Now with that said, I have nothing against Brian personally, but I can't defend him against the community's frustration because in my  mind he should have seen this coming from a mile away.  The fact that he didn't makes me worry that he either A) he doesn't understand people (bad for marketing)  or B)  He doesnt care. 

It is hard to fault BM and the team though because they largely really seem like they are very trustworthy...and perhaps because they are so trustworthy they themselves project their own trustworthiness onto others when it is not exactly deserved. 

I would like to use this opportunity, however, to appeal to people to drop the pitchforks and consider the message of this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmyZMtPVodo
My takeaway: "Charlie Kim of a company called "Next Jump"...he makes the point that, if you had hard times in your family, would you ever consider laying off one of your children?..  We would never do it--then why do we consider laying off people inside our organization?  Charlie implemented a policy in his organization of lifetime employment.  If you get a job at Next Jump, you cannot get fired for performance issues.  In fact, if you have issues, they will Coach you and give you support.  Just like we would do with one of our children who comes home with a C from school."

I personally have had to learn a great deal in my experiences in this community...and I am glad to have learned these lessons.  You have all become a second family to me.  And that includes Brian.  I just feel like Brian does not want to be part of the family.  Maybe I will try again to reach out to him...because I don't want Brian hurt.  I don't want him to not be trusted.  I want to believe that we can show him how to best lead us...and I want to believe he will listen.  Please consider watching the video above if you have not already.  I think there is a great deal to be appreciated in its message--and a reminder that this can be an opportunity for all of us to strengthen our community and Brian's role in it as opposed to pushing him away out of fear.  Trust me, I am one of the first who should heed this lesson so I only ask it of others because it seemed to help me so much the last time I was upset with Brian.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:52:42 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Any reason Methodx and Brian can't have a pow wow and compare notes so Methodx can fill in any gaps in Brian's marketing strategy?

Brian says to Methodx "I'm doing X,Y,Z".

Methodx says to BM "I think we need to do A,B,C"

BM and Methodx say to community "Methodx is going to do {ABC} and requires $$$ to do so. {ABC} is complimentary to {XYZ}".

Where {} are sanitized to protect whatever competitive advantages there may be.

Community says "Yay! We trust BM and Methodx. Go for it!".

Offline mitao

• View Profile

I seriously don't know what you guys are complaining about. Nothing can be marketed until version 187.5.1 comes out in Q4 2035. I can't tell you what that push is or what strategy we are using because someone else might steal the ideas and run with it in the meantime. All I can tell you is we are planning to coincide our marketing push along with the first manned mission to Mars and we will launch BitMARS at the same time. BitMARS will be a decentralized cryptoPlanet. Kind of like a real planet, but on a blockchain. The first of its kind. Buying BitMARS will give you ownership rights to a piece of property on Mars. How will this work? Well, as long as most of the then 10 billion people on earth buy it, majority consensus will override any government action to take it from them/us. It will be traded through BitReserves platform because in all reality, they will have a bigger network and marketing effect than Bitshares as we await the release of their first product BitOiL, scheduled for release in 2030. How dumb of BitReserve to market something before they even have a product?

And that new Star Wars movie must be completely finished and ready to go since they already started marketing it. Right? Maybe it's not done and Disney doesn't know what the F*** they are doing. How dare they market something that won't be released until Q4 2015?

U forgot ur signature the great "B".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Seeing Bitreserve with their videos and their articles in a major BTC magazine really opened my eyes as to how far we have fallen behind.

Bitreserve with their inferior solution is riding on the BTC network.  For so many crypto-nerds, it doesn't matter how great or crap the solution it, as long as it is somehow based on the Bitcoin blockchain ! 

People need to explain that Bitsreserve is nothing more than fiat accounts with low friction when transferring in and out of BTC.  It doesn't even help BTC in the longterm in regards to market cap. They remove equity out of crypt to achieve their functionality AFAIK.  Yet because it is on the BTC blockchain, it has every BTC geek's blessing.
I speak for myself and only myself.

sumantso

If when the 1.0 release happens, Brian/official team come out with good things, and we get some effective marketing, then I'm fully willing to state that we were wrong, and we just needed to be patient, and that Brian was 100% worth it.

If that happens they can then apply and get voted in as paid delegates. If BM is still funding them I hope he stops it, and/or redirects it to other areas.

sumantso

BP is here in Blacksburg this week and we need to identify what we want from him.   

Here is my assessment:
  1) he cannot create new content only poorly repackage content provided by others
  3) he has brought in great talent with Max & Friends and this talent I want to keep.

Brian's primary strength has been organizing our presence at conferences and getting us interviews there. 

The challenge that Brian faces is that he found other people to do his work.  He hasn't produced news articles, nor driven media to our website.  He hasn't gotten press in or communicated our idea. 

The nullstreet crowd is busy showing Brian what he should have been doing/organizing this whole time. 

Brian is in sales but he doesn't know what to sell nor what BitShares is.  Every time we talk he asks me "what is BitShares?" in an attempt to get me to explain it for the Nth time.   

Something has to change.  Brian needs to bring measurable results to the table.   We will figure this out this week.

I am assuming retaining Brian means paying him more?

You are in a much better position to make the call, but I would just take it as a sunk cost and move on, and not spend another penny on him. I would rather all those passionate about the work here to get any funds. Let Brian work on his own if he wants, after all he hold now 0.2% of the total supply, and if the community feels his efforts are worth it he or his associates can get voted in as paid delegates. No need to fund them anymore.

Seeing Bitreserve with their videos and their articles in a major BTC magazine really opened my eyes as to how far we have fallen behind.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
If when the 1.0 release happens, Brian/official team come out with good things, and we get some effective marketing, then I'm fully willing to state that we were wrong, and we just needed to be patient, and that Brian was 100% worth it.

If it doesnt happen, we move forward having learned lessons. 

Also, BM gave marketing money to two groups: the official english marketing but also the chinese marketing team!  One of those has worked out very well so far. ;)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to check in.

A few thoughts.

1. Thank you for the kind words in this thread.
2. A huge compliment to Dan and team to create paid delegates.  Last month this concept nearly tore us apart. This month we see that it is the mechanism by which we as a community never have to go through this kind of problem ever again. Not to mention the spur of activity on nullstreet and other locations that are a direct result.
3. If it were not for Brian, I would not be here, so I have tremendous appreciation to him for that gift.
4. I have a lot of faith in Brian and BM checking their egos and arriving at a solution that is good for bitshares and the community when they are face to face this week.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

TurkeyLeg

With the 0.4.26 update, my client synced in just a few seconds. I was then able to successfully vote for MethodX, Cass, Matt608, BM and Stan Payroll, among others. Very happy to be able to do this.

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Sunk cost is one perspective...

Why not consider this as investment into the steep learning curve - which is impossible without mistakes/trial&error? The more often we are able to learn from mistakes - the more competitive we become! Please note that the benefit of hindsight is a common reaction bias to previous inherently risky decisions...
- if BM learned anything useful about how marketers/non-tech folks think
- if this all triggered community mobilization
- if there is no misuse/bad intent ongoing
- given this clearing up before 1.0 launch
=> there is no need for regrets ☺
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:00:39 am by kisa »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Here is my assessment:

Thanks BM so much for this post!

* I like that you are going to work on a blog.  This will help us communicate your vision.  This could be very helpful towards getting the libertarian community interested in bitshares!

* I'm very excited about Bitshares TV.  This has a lot of potential.

* Getting more positive media articles about Bitshares in the crypto media world should be a priority!  This could have a strong positive impact.   We need to get more presence in the general mindset of crypto enthusiasts.  Everyone knows about Ethereum, but tons of people out there have never investigated bitshares at all.  That is a lot of untapped potential that we might be able to get to grow our core support base.

I think we all feel that we have overpaid for what we have gotten in terms of those conference connections, business connections, being hooked up with those marketing talents like Max.  But the fact that we overpaid isnt the end of the world.  After all, bitcoin grew from nothing with no marketing budget.   We have the ability to pay people from the blockchain now, so we can continue to fund marketing forever.  We have methodX and hpEnvy and matt608 and others from the community who are now seeing successes in their efforts.

^ This.

Also, everyone please bear in mind that agreements already made with Brian Page are effectively a sunk cost.  Complaining about them will not make them go away, and destructive criticism can only reduce the return on that cost, if it has any impact at all. The only logical response in my opinion is to give him the benefit of the doubt and support him with constructive criticism, advice, and at least any assistance that does not hinder other efforts.  I honestly believe that Brian wants to help make BitShares more successful, but even if you believe he doesn't, attacks against him accomplish nothing.

Thank you thank you thank you.

At least we can all step back and see a problem and now work constructively as a group to find solutions.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
I agree with the community.

I will be starting more efforts on promoting Bitshares.