Author Topic: So apparently this is what some people think about Bitshares  (Read 3484 times)

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
Haters gonna hate. Nubits people are either complicit or have no clue about economics.  When you are right about something call it what it is.

Good job averybody.

Offline emailtooaj

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening.

Humans are like that.  I don't watch football unless the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing.

Has anybody in this community heard of the "spin room"?

A spin room, also known as spin row or spin alley, is an area in which reporters can speak with debate participants and/or their representatives after a debate. The name refers to the fact that the participants will attempt to "spin" or influence the perception of the debate among the assembled reporters. The benefit for reporters is that they quickly get in-person interviews with debaters or their representatives, complete with audio, video and photos. For a U.S. presidential debate, the number of reporters in the spin room can number into the thousands.  -- Wikipedia

As a community, we need to get out there and actively engage to help guide the spin others are placing on anything we say.

Admittedly, we could and should try to be more tactful, but we will inevitably slip up sooner than sooner.  And even if we don't there are people who will take things out of context and misrepresent them to others deliberately.

So there is no substitute to having a spin control team!

Some of us are out there attempting this already.  We all need to do more of it.

Maybe this would help  :P

Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
The only purpose of communication is the result of the message, not the message itself.

In a marketing sense particularly it is to help others to take action. It is actually not the purpose to "be right", or to "prove a point", or "convince with logic". So it is pointless to quibble about other people's emotional or analytical flaws (which we all have by the way) and to say it is their fault they reject our point of view or that we don't get the feedback or results we would desire from those communications. As BM would surely agree, only we are responsible for that outcome, not others.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

What I think happened is that Dan made his blogpost then multiple people are reposting it there. Now I'm not sure if that is an orchestrated effort, but the active regulars see all these reposts and assume it is. So the post could be considered bad, but the problem is with all the reposts. People start assuming it is a plan with bitshares behind it.  I suspect that may be causing more negativity than anything.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I see nothing wrong with smear campaigns against competing cryptos that are legitimately garbage (like nubits). It just has to be done right. People bring up that NXT's attempt at shitting on bitshares backfired, but that's because NXT is crap (monetary system lol) and bitshares actually has legit technology. It just has to wait for once we have enough resources to do it right, and can do it with proper timing (such as if nubits start increasing their interest rates). Negative ads work.

An ad on CMC that goes something like "Before you give them your money, remember that bitreserve, nubits, (other competitors) are centralized services with considerable counterparty risk. Only with bitUSD and bitGOLD is your money cryptographically secured with decentralized collateral." would help educate people on the different choices in pegged crypto while nudging them towards us.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The first part of that whole message is typical how people react and take the first defensive posture when they have no real retort.

"You are wrong for asking questions.  Always being negative and bringing down others.  Must be jealousy."  Always strong on something wrong with you. That is because they have no answers and thats just the nature of people.  You'll see this over and over.

So then someone comes around and says "Guys, stop it! Don't attack others. See what people think." (They read the top of the thread )

Then the guys who didn't want their dirty laundry discussed are happy. They succeeded.

What is optimal for Bitshares?  No clue.  Probably a mixture of many things.  Patience is probably an important one, something I personally lack at times.

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline mira

• View Profile
worth repeating:

They want to know HOW THIS HELPS THEM!

To be able to electronically send something of value that's dependably trustworthy, to anyone, anywhere in the world, instantly, and for almost zero cost? Oh, and it has a stable value and you can earn a return for holding it?

Holy shit, sign me up. Because that solves SEVEN problems at least and no one else has affordably combined more than two or three of those before.

This is disruptive. It is transformative. It is superior to anything else out there. We MUST be able to sell this to normal people. The other crypto people can hang onto their camps for now; they will catch on as the price increases.

Offline bobmaloney

I tried.
There really is no reasoning to be had.
One of the most prolific posters in that group (and in that thread) has no interest in fact-finding or learning and seems hell bent on capping the thread with a jab.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
It's going to be much better once we get user-friendly client and websites. I will feel comfortable referring anyone to these, not just crypto enthusiasts. Most of them are already committed to one team or another. We pick off a few here and there, but basically a tribal mentality prevails where my coin is better than your coin.

I'm sick of it and I'm sick of trying to reason with them. It's not their fault our system has been so incomprehensibly complex, so changing, and at times too adversarial for their tastes. But most of them have formed some opinion of it, whether true or mistaken.

I look forward to finally being able to meaningfully reach out to outsiders who don't have this baggage. They don't care about the merger or what happened to PTS. They want to know HOW THIS HELPS THEM!

To be able to electronically send something of value that's dependably trustworthy, to anyone, anywhere in the world, instantly, and for almost zero cost? Oh, and it has a stable value and you can earn a return for holding it?

Holy shit, sign me up. Because that solves SEVEN problems at least and no one else has affordably combined more than two or three of those before.

This is disruptive. It is transformative. It is superior to anything else out there. We MUST be able to sell this to normal people. The other crypto people can hang onto their camps for now; they will catch on as the price increases.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Its all about decisions and so far they have been good especially the one to increase iflation for delegates it takes tinme for market to realize... next decisions will all be based on community consensus which is also not priced in yet
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think a lot of people are a little too emotionally invested. They are offended because somebody tried to point out a weakness that they didn't want to hear about?

Everybody needs to be handled with kid's gloves because you might offend the technology they believe in? If the arguments were inaccurate then a counterargument should be made.

It seems like a lot of the legacy cryptocoiners get offended if you don't say 'bitcoin is perfect in every way, nothing should be changed.'

Its almost like a religion and bytemaster has been accused of blasphemy for saying that maybe the earth revolves around the sun instead of the other way around. Either way, let's just ban telescopes so nobody will ever find out.

Indeed, they are so emotionally attached to their crypto investments that they don't accept anything else other than their own coins. They don't accept a simple argument and the fact multiple coins can coexist, yet, they defend freedom. Screw logic right?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Yeah, that's exactly what's happening.

Humans are like that.  I don't watch football unless the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing.

Has anybody in this community heard of the "spin room"?

A spin room, also known as spin row or spin alley, is an area in which reporters can speak with debate participants and/or their representatives after a debate. The name refers to the fact that the participants will attempt to "spin" or influence the perception of the debate among the assembled reporters. The benefit for reporters is that they quickly get in-person interviews with debaters or their representatives, complete with audio, video and photos. For a U.S. presidential debate, the number of reporters in the spin room can number into the thousands.  -- Wikipedia

As a community, we need to get out there and actively engage to help guide the spin others are placing on anything we say.

Admittedly, we could and should try to be more tactful, but we will inevitably slip up sooner than sooner.  And even if we don't there are people who will take things out of context and misrepresent them to others deliberately.

So there is no substitute to having a spin control team!

Some of us are out there attempting this already.  We all need to do more of it.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

deprdoo

I think a lot of people are a little too emotionally invested. They are offended because somebody tried to point out a weakness that they didn't want to hear about?

Everybody needs to be handled with kid's gloves because you might offend the technology they believe in? If the arguments were inaccurate then a counterargument should be made.

It seems like a lot of the legacy cryptocoiners get offended if you don't say 'bitcoin is perfect in every way, nothing should be changed.'

Its almost like a religion and bytemaster has been accused of blasphemy for saying that maybe the earth revolves around the sun instead of the other way around. Either way, let's just ban telescopes so nobody will ever find out.