Author Topic: A huge amount of shorts were expired. What will happen?  (Read 12704 times)

Offline graffenwalder

Expired shorts do not pay fees.  They will sell to anyone with usd looking to sell at just above the feed.

So can anyone with BTS short bitUSD right now at 10% above the feed and make an instant 10% gain? Then this "backlog" should disappear very quickly.

No, I tried and it doesn't work.. There are shorts from the feed price up to +10% right now and no orders are executing.

It will be covered by Monday is my prediction. 

How? They're not buying anything atm..
Just tested it, but the expired shorts are buying bitusd when you sell a bit over the price feed. (not selling into BTS sell orders of course)

Offline svk

Expired shorts do not pay fees.  They will sell to anyone with usd looking to sell at just above the feed.

So can anyone with BTS short bitUSD right now at 10% above the feed and make an instant 10% gain? Then this "backlog" should disappear very quickly.

No, I tried and it doesn't work.. There are shorts from the feed price up to +10% right now and no orders are executing.

How? They're not buying anything atm..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Markus

• View Profile

So expired short positions buy [the BitAsset] at feed price and normal short orders want to sell at the feed price. And the reason they are not matched is because of what? Because the expired don't pay transaction fees?
This just doesn't feel right, looks more like a mixup between ≥ and >.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
above in terms of the GUI, below in terms of the CLI.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
above in terms of usd/bts or bts/usd?

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

so , is the issue in the OP a bug or normal ?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

It looks like this is a BUG!

Expired shorts are not matched against unlimited short orders. Selling BitUSD slightly below peg will get matched though.

There's a known bug that unlimited shorts aren't considered when a short with a higher interest rate and a limit less than 0.9 of the feed price exists. https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1315

"Short orders are forced to cover after 30 days by taking the best offers at the time. No fee is charged.

Forced covers happen at the feed price or 10% below it.
So the person or persons with the short in question, can they just let it ride forever? Are they still being charged interest?

How does this end ?

They should eventually lose 10% of their BTS as people sell bitUSD to them for an instant 10% gain. However it looks like the 10% rule isn't working right now?

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

It looks like this is a BUG!

Expired shorts are not matched against unlimited short orders. Selling BitUSD slightly below peg will get matched though.

There's a known bug that unlimited shorts aren't considered when a short with a higher interest rate and a limit less than 0.9 of the feed price exists. https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1315

"Short orders are forced to cover after 30 days by taking the best offers at the time. No fee is charged.

Forced covers happen at the feed price or 10% below it.
So the person or persons with the short in question, can they just let it ride forever? Are they still being charged interest?

How does this end ?

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Hm .. ok .. my impression was that a expired short is different from a margin call in such that the expired short is auto-covered at exactly the feed and not above (below, depends on perspective)

That's the plan for the future, I think. Right now, both are treated the same.

Well that definitely did not happen, otherwise my sell order would've been taken out 8% above the feed since all the sell orders and short orders below 10% over equaled nowhere near the amounts that expired.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Hm .. ok .. my impression was that a expired short is different from a margin call in such that the expired short is auto-covered at exactly the feed and not above (below, depends on perspective)

That's the plan for the future, I think. Right now, both are treated the same.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline svk

an expiring short results in a FORCED cover? I thought exporation is different from margin calls?!?
These are expired successful shorts aka  cover orders. Around 400k bitUSD worth expired yesterday and should've been forced to cover at the feed price or up to +10%, but a bug is preventing that from happening it seems.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks