Author Topic: XPool - How to continue & fix problems...  (Read 6399 times)

Offline radiumsoup

• View Profile
that pool has 3.5% fees... :'(
3.5% and stable (so far... but there's a shitton of hash power being thrown at it right now, and it's taking it like a champ) versus 2% and down half the time.

Offline aorith

• View Profile
MMC: MFeQNUR9jdxMP1Rj8iXMDTnuRAtiuJEvty

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
just a heads up, another pool was launched: http://mmcpool.com/

noticed, and that helps me.

This is a good thread though... some interesting ideas were thought...

Offline agnostik_one

• View Profile
just a heads up, another pool was launched: http://mmcpool.com/

Offline agnostik_one

• View Profile
for choosing, I would create a new thread saying pool operators wanted to run an instance of the pool, and I would be looking for people who can show that they have some understanding of how to code. It would be selective, for sure.
i meant how you be sure that they wouldn't just steal your code and make their own independent pool...

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
i see you limited the number of workers... how about creating another pool with this limit? maybe on another port or something

yeah, I really should have multiple instances of the pool. That would be cool.

Unforunately, I would have to do some changes to the JSON-RPC, and make the web interface unified, but its a good idea. I could also license pool operators... if that makes sense... to run a instance of the pool publicly for mining, and the web interface could connect and retrieve stats and unify it as XPool. The other pool operators could work with me to improve the code and solve problems.

That still seems inefficient though... :)
yeah, it would be inefficient, but this is only meant as a temporary solution, until you get things under control... and also, if you mention the pool operators working with you, it might be exactly the collaboration you we're looking for... i don't know how you would choose them though

for choosing, I would create a new thread saying pool operators wanted to run an instance of the pool, and I would be looking for people who can show that they have some understanding of how to code. It would be selective, for sure.

Offline agnostik_one

• View Profile
i see you limited the number of workers... how about creating another pool with this limit? maybe on another port or something

Unforunately, I would have to do some changes to the JSON-RPC, and make the web interface unified, but its a good idea. I could also license pool operators... if that makes sense... to run a instance of the pool publicly for mining, and the web interface could connect and retrieve stats and unify it as XPool. The other pool operators could work with me to improve the code and solve problems.

yeah, it would be inefficient, but this is only meant as a temporary solution, until you get things under control... and also, if you mention the pool operators working with you, it might be exactly the collaboration you were looking for... i don't know how you would choose them though
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:34:44 pm by agnostik_one »

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:25:24 pm by KillerByte »

Offline agnostik_one

• View Profile

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile
Share the source with a few select people. I myself would like to start a pool.

If I have the code, I can modify it and steamline it to hell and back. Not to mention if I started another pool it would relieve some of the strain.

PM me if you are interested.
MemoryDice now available! https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1886.0
 Vote for me to be CNO of memorycoin if you want these services. Just send 1 satoshi!
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm

Offline aorith

• View Profile
I assume that the hardware isn't a problem, so the problem is the fast growing amount of users/conections... maybe the source code of other pool's could help
MMC: MFeQNUR9jdxMP1Rj8iXMDTnuRAtiuJEvty

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
yes, perhaps we can figure a way of separating it. just pick a few people and work with them behind the scenes.

its possible, but then there is a potential trust issue, and that still spawns worries.

My advice:  Do what makes you happy, and what you feel is worth it.

That being said; I myself have run several large successful and some not-so-successful projects.  In every case the people who complain the most, seem to be the loudest -- and it's hard to ignore that.  But on the other hand the people who have no issues and no problems with what you're doing are content to remain quiet and drop the occasional compliment.  It's important to stay focused, and remind yourself that for every negative complaint, there's probably 50 other people quietly appreciating what you're doing.

I am sure people are willing to help commit to code if you open source it.  I think if people are willing to help fix it, the funds you get from a working pool would help pay for itself in time.  It may even spawn a few other pools to help take the load off of yours.

In the end, it's your decision.  I can't really help more than offering words of support and appreciation (and the 100 mmc for the pool fund), I hope you "stay in the game" though!

Merry Christmas!

great post. I will keep that in mind.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
yes, perhaps we can figure a way of separating it. just pick a few people and work with them behind the scenes. 

here is an idea, you can rum multiple ones for the time being, when one crashes , miners auto failover to another copy and so on for a while, average time is 5 hours, so if you put 3 you can go to bed and we can deal with this in the morning.

saves you the trouble of sharing your hard work and keeps miners marginally happy while buying you time to fix it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:42:55 pm by barwizi »
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline I_M

• View Profile
My advice:  Do what makes you happy, and what you feel is worth it.

That being said; I myself have run several large successful and some not-so-successful projects.  In every case the people who complain the most, seem to be the loudest -- and it's hard to ignore that.  But on the other hand the people who have no issues and no problems with what you're doing are content to remain quiet and drop the occasional compliment.  It's important to stay focused, and remind yourself that for every negative complaint, there's probably 50 other people quietly appreciating what you're doing.

I am sure people are willing to help commit to code if you open source it.  I think if people are willing to help fix it, the funds you get from a working pool would help pay for itself in time.  It may even spawn a few other pools to help take the load off of yours.

In the end, it's your decision.  I can't really help more than offering words of support and appreciation (and the 100 mmc for the pool fund), I hope you "stay in the game" though!

Merry Christmas!

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
if you publish the code, other pools will appear like mushrooms after the rain...

I know... that is what I am worried about. But I also have a problem, and I cant do it all...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:39:10 pm by KillerByte »