Author Topic: Announcing BitShares 2.0  (Read 45068 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
oh my goodness this is all gonna take my feeble mind a while to digest.

am I understanding this one small part correctly, is there going to be a race for valuable account names for DNS purposes?

all names registered after today will have a prefix appended to them.

That TODO item got lost in the rush to get this info out.

please elaborate. does that mean our current account names will be gone with the new version?

Existing names are grandfathered in - unchanged.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Referral Program details!

Referral Program

Earn $80 or more for every lifetime member you sign up.

BitShares™ has several different kinds of accounts: Basic Account, Annual Member, and Lifetime Member.

Basic Accounts are free, but do not qualify for the referral program, nor any cash back on transaction fees.

Annual Members pay a subscription fee of $20/year and earn 50% cash back on every fee they pay. They also qualify for up to 50% of the fees paid by anyone they refer to the network until their subscription expires.

Lifetime Members pay $100 and earn 80% cash back on every fee they pay. They also qualify for 80% of the fees paid by Basic Accounts they refer to the network. Additionally, they qualify for 30% of every fee paid by any Annual Member they have referred. In the event of a subscription expiration, the referral income falls back to the nearest Lifetime Member in the referral history.

These cashback referral rates, 50% and 80%, can be adjusted by the consensus of the BitShares Stakeholders at any time. Annual Accounts have their rates locked in for one year, while Lifetime Accounts have their rates locked in for life.

We estimate that the average fees paid over the lifetime of each Account will be in excess of $1002, which means that a membership could earn over $80 per referred user. Of course, it is your own responsibility to estimate how often you, and those you refer, will use the network. Keep in mind that the BitShares stakeholders have the ability to change transaction fees, which could impact future earnings.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:31:36 pm by Stan »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
please elaborate. does that mean our current account names will be gone with the new version?

I think it will mean that your name will be changed from 'favdesu' to something like 'legacy_favdesu'.  (Or some other prefix).

So you'll still have your name with your BTS, but the current account name squatters wont get good names in the new system, so that the name 'google' can actually be auctioned off and provide revenue to Bitshares, instead of being squatted by whoever got it first.   Thats my understanding at least.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline robrigo

am I understanding this one small part correctly, is there going to be a race for valuable account names for DNS purposes?

They will be migrated, check out the migration strategy blog post for more details: http://bitshares.github.io/blog/2015/06/08/migrating-to-bitshares-2.0/

Offline bytemaster

It is all covered in the migration page.   All current account names migrate as-is.   Any new names that are no "premium" also migrate as is.  Premium names are names with fewer than 8 characters and no numbers.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
http://bitshares.github.io/blog/2015/06/08/announcing-bitshares-2.0/

We will be having a Mumble session at 4 PM EST today to discuss the latest news.   

bitshares.org will be updated shortly to point at http://bitshares.github.io

I would like to thank everyone who helped make this possible!

How is it 2.0 when we don't even have 1.0?

1.0 will have a very short shelf life.   This isn't the same code base as BitShares 0.9.x so calling it 1.0 wouldn't do it justice.   It is all just a naming convention anyway.

Months ago we realized that the Graphene Toolkit (in R&D at the time) was going to blow the BitShares Toolkit out of the water.  This is why no 1.0 came out.  We were focusing on getting to 2.0 at flank speed - with our heads down and our mouths shut.  Graphene is re-engineered from the ground up - it is not a mere polishing of the current code, as 1.0 would imply.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline bytemaster

but once the migration occurs such a race will happen?

Perhaps, but quality names will cost much more. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Who owns  Cryptonomex Inc?

What happens to I3?

Care to let us know about any partners involved with  Cryptonomex Inc?

Cryptonomex is mostly "employee owned" and exists with approval of I3 shareholders. 

merockstar

but once the migration occurs such a race will happen?

By the way this all looks fantastic. Whoever's expectations aren't met by this is just an outright troll.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

And then all new, valuable names will be auctioned off, so we dont have the problem of squatters trying to take the name of every company, website, and famous person, correct?

Every other DNS naming system is overrun by these squatters, and it prevents the system from having any chance of catching on.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Who owns  Cryptonomex Inc?

What happens to I3?

Care to let us know about any partners involved with  Cryptonomex Inc?

Offline bytemaster

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
New site is so top shelf beautiful. Its simple. This is great. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:20:03 pm by Bitcoinfan »

merockstar