Author Topic: 1000 PTS - Write Social Consensus Software License (SCSL) [CLOSED]  (Read 44507 times)

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
Done... comments?

Oh, if anyone wants to work together, we can make it a collaborative work, just pm me and i'll make a google doc we can both access and modify.

I've changed it such that any holder of PTS/AGS can retain standing, but also explicitly stated that a holder cannot attempt to exempt themselves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:20:18 am by barwizi »
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
I the event that I3 goes out of business, it is their job to pass the rights to another entity otherwise the License becomes un-enforceable.

While there are ways of getting around centralizing in this regard, it has the nasty habit of becoming way too open to intepretation, as entities my begin to selectively apply it or ignore it based on the fact that they too may hold shares and as a result makes them an authority as well.

I think it would be good to find a way that holders of PTS / AGS retain standing and that owning AGS does not grant you an exemption to the license.

Hmm, it is possible, i'll do some research and try to get it right.

Offline bytemaster

I the event that I3 goes out of business, it is their job to pass the rights to another entity otherwise the License becomes un-enforceable.

While there are ways of getting around centralizing in this regard, it has the nasty habit of becoming way too open to intepretation, as entities my begin to selectively apply it or ignore it based on the fact that they too may hold shares and as a result makes them an authority as well.

I think it would be good to find a way that holders of PTS / AGS retain standing and that owning AGS does not grant you an exemption to the license.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
It seems that the title is already determined:
Social Consensus Software License (SCSL)

And it has to apply to all future DACs which use this license and not just Bitshares. Anyone who uses code written under the SCSL should abide by the SCSL. A good model for this would be the GPL and copyleft licenses such as the Creative Commons.

Invictus Innovations should not be in control of this because it's bigger than Invictus Innovations. This license is supposed to last even if Invictus Innovations goes out of business.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:34:05 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline coolspeed

• View Profile
    • My Blog
It seems that the title is already determined:
Social Consensus Software License (SCSL)
Please vote for  delegate.coolspeed    dac.coolspeed
BTS account: coolspeed
Sina Weibo:@coolspeed

Offline bytemaster

Thoughts?

This license shouldn't be associated with Invictus, we are only leading the AngelShares, BitShares, ProtoShares movement.  This license should grant every AngelShare or ProtoShare holder standing to enforce it.  The AngelShare and ProtoShare holders are the ones funding this development effort and not Invictus. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org

Offline bytemaster

As it comes to software license, it is still not clear what positioning this group has to independent software developers that do not release source code due to various reasons.

yvg1900

If they renounce all ip then they are ok.   If they honor social consensus they are ok.  Otherwise the cannot even run the resulting exe whether they developed it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
I suggest an approach similar to the GPL. We should come up with our own software license which specifically indicates our terms and percentages in the "Social Contract/Consensus". This would make it so that if we write code it cannot be used or cloned in a way which violates the "Social Contract/Consensus" without also violating the law and testing a legal precedent.

The reason to turn the Social Contract into a software license is to create a situation where the programmers themselves agree to only write or contribute to development on projects which accept that particular license. It could allow us to extend the Social Contract/Consensus outside of the bounds of Protoshares and Invictus Innovations and into a much broader space similar to impact of the GPL.

Can Invictus Innovations consult with their legal team to come up with some language which can help us to establish a software license which would restrict the use of our code as only being used in projects which meet the terms of the minimum of the Social Contract/Consensus?

I am personally of the opinion that intellectual property is invalid due to its violation of physical property rights and free speech.  This includes copyright and patents as these are government privileges.

That said I am a firm believer in subjecting people to their own laws.  Therefore, I would like to see a such a license that only applies to those who assert that copyright and patents should be enforced against those who do not consent to be governed by copyright or patent law.

I believe that such a license would make people more comfortable with the AngelShares Social Consensus and thus increase the rate of contribution and development due to reduced risk.   

To win this bounty you must post a complete license along with a legal opinion on why it would be the most effective means at achieving the following goals:

1) Preventing copycats that believe in intelectual property from using our code to launch derivative DACs that fail to honor our social consensus.
2) Not preventing businesses from using any DAC that honors SCSL, even if they support IP... we don't want to restrict the use of DACs that follow the SCSL in any way shape or form.
3) Preventing businesses that believe in intelectual property from using any DAC that doesn't honor the SCSL
4) Define the AngelShares social consensus in as clear and unambiguous terms as possible.
5) Frees the developers of DACs from any liability resulting from the use of the code or failures in the code.

Invictus will select a license to release our software under and will pay this bounty to the writer(s) of the license.   We expect the process of writing the license to be cooperative and iterative.  All drafts must be made public and to win the bounty the winning SCSL license must have consent from all contributors as judged by Invictus. 

This bounty is in the PENDING status meaning we reserve the right to change the terms of the bounty while we get feedback from the community.  Once terms have been established we will change the status to [ACTIVE] which means the terms are locked in.   If you have feedback or suggestions on how to structure this bounty, evaluate submissions, and arbitrate disputes then please post now.

Offline yvg1900

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yvg1900
As it comes to software license, it is still not clear what positioning this group has to independent software developers that do not release source code due to various reasons.

yvg1900
Follow @yvg1900 on Twitter for yam miner updates and support

Offline bytemaster

I just referred Andy Beal to this bounty, so he is off the table for the referral bounty.

Offline bytemaster

I suggest an approach similar to the GPL. We should come up with our own software license which specifically indicates our terms and percentages in the "Social Contract/Consensus". This would make it so that if we write code it cannot be used or cloned in a way which violates the "Social Contract/Consensus" without also violating the law and testing a legal precedent.

The reason to turn the Social Contract into a software license is to create a situation where the programmers themselves agree to only write or contribute to development on projects which accept that particular license. It could allow us to extend the Social Contract/Consensus outside of the bounds of Protoshares and Invictus Innovations and into a much broader space similar to impact of the GPL.

Can Invictus Innovations consult with their legal team to come up with some language which can help us to establish a software license which would restrict the use of our code as only being used in projects which meet the terms of the minimum of the Social Contract/Consensus?

I am personally of the opinion that intellectual property is invalid due to its violation of physical property rights and free speech.  This includes copyright and patents as these are government privileges.

That said I am a firm believer in subjecting people to their own laws.  Therefore, I would like to see a such a license that only applies to those who assert that copyright and patents should be enforced against those who do not consent to be governed by copyright or patent law.

I believe that such a license would make people more comfortable with the AngelShares Social Consensus and thus increase the rate of contribution and development due to reduced risk.   

To win this bounty you must post a complete license along with a legal opinion on why it would be the most effective means at achieving the following goals:

1) Preventing copycats that believe in intelectual property from using our code to launch derivative DACs that fail to honor our social consensus.
2) Not preventing businesses from using any DAC that honors SCSL, even if they support IP... we don't want to restrict the use of DACs that follow the SCSL in any way shape or form.
3) Preventing businesses that believe in intelectual property from using any DAC that doesn't honor the SCSL
4) Define the AngelShares social consensus in as clear and unambiguous terms as possible.
5) Frees the developers of DACs from any liability resulting from the use of the code or failures in the code.

Invictus will select a license to release our software under and will pay this bounty to the writer(s) of the license.   We expect the process of writing the license to be cooperative and iterative.  All drafts must be made public and to win the bounty the winning SCSL license must have consent from all contributors as judged by Invictus. 

Based upon latest bounty rules I am marking this bounty active and will pay it out when I opt to use a SCSL license that I believe best achieves the goals.   I reserve the right to not pick such a license until one of sufficient quality is produced and vetted by multiple qualified individuals.  In other words I am looking for an off-the-shelf license that I may pay to use.  This bounty does not constitute an implied contract, but a expression of market demand for such a product to exist. 

For this bounty, there is a 10 PTS referral reward for anyone who refers a qualified lawyer that wins the bounty.  The 10PTS will be divided among all referrals proportional to the contribution of the referred lawyer.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:13:08 pm by bytemaster »