Author Topic: Bitcoin under attack meanwhile at BitShares 2.0  (Read 5850 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Right now, it's possible to DDOS the network in exactly the same way as bitcoin is suffering.

All you need do is create an MPA with very low value, get it voted in (admittedly, the hard part), then create millions of transactions for it - the fee is paid only in MPA units, so it will be a very low cost attack.

Umm, I don't think so. In 0.x I believe you need to pay 2 times the BTS fee converted into the MPA units using the median price feed (although this MPA fee goes into the yield pool rather than to the delegates). In 2.0 the solution is more elegant. The minimum fee paid needs to be whatever the required network BTS fee is for the transaction and it goes into the reserve pool, but you can pay the fee using the MPA by using the MPA's fee pool. The issuer maintains a fee pool filled with BTS and publishes the core_exchange_rate (the price at which they are willing to exchange the MPA for the BTS in the fee pool for the purpose of paying transaction fees) and the blockchain takes care of conversion and fee payment automatically.

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
Right now, it's possible to DDOS the network in exactly the same way as bitcoin is suffering.

All you need do is create an MPA with very low value, get it voted in (admittedly, the hard part), then create millions of transactions for it - the fee is paid only in MPA units, so it will be a very low cost attack.

all transactions need to have a minimum significant value otherwise we are spam toast.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:00:15 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Now the real question regarding smartcoins

how do we prevent this for say BitUSD - where the delegates/pool pay tx fees, IIRC?
This is a good questions and I am still waiting for a public documentation about "How fees for bitassets are payed".

Can you point me to a mumble recording in which BM addressed that?

sorry, don't remember exactly. let's wait for BM :)

maybe something like

BitUSD TX
BTS Fees > pool/delegates < BitUSD fees < sender

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

how do we prevent this for say BitUSD - where the delegates/pool pay tx fees, IIRC?
This is a good questions and I am still waiting for a public documentation about "How fees for bitassets are payed".

Can you point me to a mumble recording in which BM addressed that?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

Offline testz

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Bitcoin under attack with a growing 50k 60k open Transactions in the mempool (https://tradeblock.com/blockchain)

how does BitShares prevent an attack like this?

* BitShares 2.0 will be able to handle at least 1k TPS at the beginning (according to cryptonomex' last statement)
* BitShares have minimum TX fees

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:34:08 am by fav »