Author Topic: Will bitassets in 2.0 Still Earn Interest?  (Read 12693 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Can someone please provide a definitive answer?
in short: no .. not directly on just being long on an MPA ..
there is an alternative though which was highlighted by stan

will we still be offering bitUSD? if so, how will it be created? same process of matching long and short traders?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
One of the biggest reasons to own bitassets, like bitUSD, is because they earn higher than typical banking interest rates. Is this feature going away in 2.0??? If so, this is a big mistake and kills a venture concept i've been developing that'd market bitUSD to the public as a savings alternative.

This is the more flexible alternative in 2.1 
https://bitshares.org/technology/collateralized-bond-market/

Will this fit your business model?

honestly, not sure. the key to scale in financial markets is standardized contracts, which is what we have right now with bitUSD, for instance. each contract is the same in structure, just diff in interest rate, which is basically the price of the contract. are these bond instruments going to be individually offered wrt size, interest rate, maturity date, or other terms?

i'm also skeptical of the collateral arrangement. instead of mechanically locking up fixed collateral on the blockchain with simple settlement rules, we're now going to be dealing with options to buy collateral--like put options--at a fixed strike? what if the counterparty can't deliver at the higher price in the event of collateral asset meltdown?

i loved the bitUSD concept as being akin to a money market that could have broad uses as savings instruments, cash management for firms, potential commercial paper instruments, etc.

forgive my skepticism here, i was just getting excited about the soon-to-be-retired products. hopefully the 2.0 stuff is better, but i'm not yet convinced. i thought 2.0 was about a tech upgrade to the platform, not a fundamental restructure to core products.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
in short: no .. not directly on just being long on an MPA ..
there is an alternative though which was highlighted by stan

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
One of the biggest reasons to own bitassets, like bitUSD, is because they earn higher than typical banking interest rates. Is this feature going away in 2.0??? If so, this is a big mistake and kills a venture concept i've been developing that'd market bitUSD to the public as a savings alternative.

This is the more flexible alternative in 2.1 
https://bitshares.org/technology/collateralized-bond-market/

Will this fit your business model?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile