Author Topic: Monetizing of PeerTracks and MUSE *suggestion thread*  (Read 16315 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
COPY AND PASTE IN THE BTS REFERRAL PROGRAM!

I think the reason they aren't just going with that is that the model is freemium and they dont expect a lot of the potential users to ever pay any signup fees or anything.  Whereas in Bitshares the target audience has money and will pay a subscription fee if the service looks better/cheaper than their other alternatives.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      COPY AND PASTE IN THE BTS REFERRAL PROGRAM!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:04:38 pm by giant middle finger »

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
"one click" continuous play radio like Pandora.

If people can listen effortlessly for hours, then they will find the song they like and the process begins.

Don't force kids to click or type to peruse, or they wont spend their allowance on Muse (same "one click" to change the song if they don't like it).  Remember our audience has the attention span of a squirrel.

You won't get any effort out of your audience until they are listening to something that moves their body

You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Perhaps you could set up something like Patreon, where users could donate money to artists and content creators that they want to support.  You could take a small cut and pass the rest along?

Or perhaps this is too similar to the artistcoins functionality, and artists should just be selling coins to these people?

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline pendragon3

Some miscellaneous thoughts:

The freemium ad-supported model seems to be central to peertracks, so really anything that increases the ease and ROI for big advertisers to bring big $$$s to the site would be good. This includes, for example, selling or offering access to "big data" on the demographics and habits of curators and regular users... sophisticated, cutting-edge data analytics tools, making peertracks the advertising site of choice... detailed, tamper-proof (blockchain/trustless) analytics on the exact results of ad campaigns, etc., etc.

Is the "no audio-ads" requirement set in stone? Having as a default the ability to listen ad-free for "free" is going to be a great draw that distinguishes PeerTracks from many other streaming services. Still, I can't help but wonder if doing away with audio ads completely may be leaving a LOT of money on the table. What about giving listeners or curators the ability to earn a small # of tokens or credit by opting in to audio ads? That way, peertracks can tout itself as 100% free of audio ads for those who want it that way, but it can also monetize a ton of $$$ from listeners who don't mind audio ads.

Peertracks could take a cue from LinkedIn, which currently appears to have 3 major revenue streams: premium subscriptions, advertising revenues, and talent solutions (e.g., HR recruiting tools for headhunters and corporations). Having features for professional networking would make PeerTracks something of a one-stop destination. It could have premium subscription-based accounts that allow many different types of music industry professionals to connect to others via e-mail: artists, aspiring band-members, curators/talent scouts, DJs, recording studios, technicians, record producers, nightclub owners, music lawyers. This could be a worthwhile source of revenue for Peertracks in the short- to medium-term, even if the main goal is to gain tremendous user adoption of music streaming...

Offline bobmaloney

I thought your original (but redacted) post outlining some of your monetization plans were brilliant.

That being said, I think one bitshares 2.0-esque referral type system that may work somewhat would be charging for a "Premium" account which allows the user to submit playlists and/or entire custom channels (let them be their own DJ with access to the peertracks catalogue).

Allow the user to make $$$ (or at least -$$$ off their monthly "Premium") based off how many people and how popular their playlists are.

*Edit: Channels
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:39:52 pm by bobmaloney »
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
In the same direction of thinking as xeroc...

You could have two types of accounts. Free accounts for the everyday John Smith user who just wants to stream music for free without too much ads, and you could have another type of account for "traders" or music "curators". This type of account could give access to more sophisticated tools to better track the up and coming artists and automate some of the process to find and select the most interesting new artists.

These tools could give a competitive edge to those willing to make a profit out of that model, and in exchange PeerTracks could charge a small monthly fee for that privilege.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
- free samples (actual music, artist tokens, MUSE tokens, ...)
- referral bonus re-distribution (you bring in another use that makes $10 in the first 3 months, then you get $5 of the $10)
- paid minimum invasive ads in the wallet (no sound, maybe not even moving parts, just a text like in forum signatures)
- artists are required to pay a fee to list their new album @ peertracks
- users are required to pay a one-time fee of $10 to get into peertracks
- Paid RANKING!!!
- paid extra services:
     - that "guestimate" which music may fit your ears well .. maybe you can link last.fm or other services to do so!
     - any kind of automation, ie. buy tokens of your favorit artists, sell tokens at a profit, mail me on a new album event
- technical/personal/mail/phone support of any kind for users, headhunters and artists
- not sure how the big business works but I guess you may be able to offer extra services for headhunters too (special web interfaces, faster interactions, hot-keys :) )

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Hi everyone!

As most of you must know, PeerTracks is a music streaming/retail website that allows for P2P talent discovery and fan engagement for musicians, podcasters, audiobook authors, etc.

It will be free to use and we do not want to have audio advertisement in there.
Anything the consumer finds "annoying as fuuuuu" should be eliminated. We don't want to drive consumers towards piracy. We want to monetize as much as possible so that artists can make a living doing what they do best.

We are approaching the final stages of development but still want feedback from this genius community (:

So here is the question. Be as creative as you want. If your idea is "dumb" say it anyway, it might trigger another path to new folder in somebody's brain!

What do you think is a good monetization technique for a site like ours? Remember, no audio ads!

Note that you can tie it to the MUSE blockchain as well. Meaning, you can make use of MUSE in order to monetize PeerTracks.

And I know what some of you are thinking "I don't want to monetize PeerTracks, I want to monetize MUSE!"
Yes of course! But PeerTracks is the first face - the portal - through which everyone will interact at first. It must be able to pay good money to artists! We need traffic, income and HAPPY, WELL PAID USERS!
If we have that, then the MUSE blockchain will prove a success and grow. Other companies will want to make use of this P2P network that has ALREADY been developed and will be able to plug in freely. Just as the Bitcoin companies all plug into the Bitcoin blockchain freely.

TL;DR
We are open to suggestions to the monetization of PeerTracks, the face of the MUSE blockchain. PeerTracks needs to be profitable so we can pay our users and make the blockchain synonymous with "awesome".

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:38:16 pm by cob »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.