Author Topic: Ethereum price discussion  (Read 143331 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
this is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-QpuXIJtM

the fact it took so much time and they told people their accounts could be compromised while at the same time only a few ones made huge profit doesn't look good at all, even if they didn't do it with malicious intent.

what i don't understand is, how could people value ether so high? isn't the supply huge? i don't know how many new coins will we have per year but wasn't it a percentage of the inital ICO?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline betax

• View Profile
Poloniex or offline are other options. Well done cass ;)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I just want to say ... i've investet 2 BTC --> 4000 ETH during the IPO sale last year!

And did sell them for approx. 19 BTC! So from the investment point of view ... ETH was a really good investment!
But i've also learned from BTS ... If i had sell my BTS last year when high .. it would be the same ...

With this revenue i can fund my next 3 month working for BTS/CNX ... so IMO good deal :)

may I ask you how you managed that?
How do you transferred so quick to the exchange, assuming kraken needed 6000 confirmations before trading was possible...
+ that the their developers made an alert (that sucks) that all accounts created before the last geth update (1.01) should be considered as potentially COMPROMISED !!! 

PS  6000 confirmations is about 1.5 Days... and the prices you are mentioning was available only on 8 August (the half day and some hours from 7 August, totalling about one day)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:53:52 pm by liondani »

Offline cryptoMPA

• View Profile
Looking forward to seeing what happens as soon as people can get their ETH on exchanges and dump.  Pricing it at 10x the IPO price in this era of depressed crypto prices is insanity. 

I'll buy later if it falls below IPO and stabilizes.

I'm waiting a few weeks before even considering trading it. I'd say it is below $30MM marketcap within 2 weeks. Time will show.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:19:42 am by cryptoMPA »

Offline svk

I just want to say ... i've investet 2 BTC --> 4000 ETH during the IPO sale last year!

And did sell them for approx. 19 BTC! So from the investment point of view ... ETH was a really good investment!
But i've also learned from BTS ... If i had sell my BTS last year when high .. it would be the same ...

With this revenue i can fund my next 3 month working for BTS/CNX ... so IMO good deal :)

Well done :)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
BAM!!! Ether pays BTS designer .. nice headline :D

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Looking forward to seeing what happens as soon as people can get their ETH on exchanges and dump.  Pricing it at 10x the IPO price in this era of depressed crypto prices is insanity. 

I haven't paid much attention and wasn't aware it was priced that off target.. not surprised.

Ethereum 24hr change down 70% atm http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/#markets and I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall a long way more, to below BitShares1.0 where it belongs.

There's no surprise seeing a dump at the open as that is normal, satisfying the substantial minority of speculators who become frustrated. Compounded with that what Ethereum is offering is underdeveloped, I'm not surprised that it's burning and glad that this is the one project I did not invest in.

Ethereum is ambitious to say the least and already there are alarming bugs that those claiming their ETH on Windohs could lose that into null addresses. I wonder then if there are others who are upgrading past that bug and getting out. There's a long way to go before I will buy in.. it's a fragile as Bitcoin in 2010 when I first saw that.. give Ethereum a year to bed down and prove itself.. and then I expect CounterParty will have made it available on BTC blockchain. Why Ethereum went the route of creating a new chain, I don't know.. it just added the wiff of altcoin.

Hopefully BitShares will take note and understand that smart investment follows real demonstrable utility.. BitShares2.0 will need to deliver more than hype and speculative opportunity.. and communicate that in an academic way, not just in marketing speak.
Also ciyam is available and being integrated into a Bitcoin based chain which will certainly eat away at their market cap.. If I do it right.. Perhaps bitshares can then integrate and we can then have cross chain transfers between btc based coins with a real tie in to the uia of those coins. Then ultimately if the model is solid maybe one day Bitcoin can endorse the use of turing complete scripts on their chain and we would leverage that.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

sumantso

Vitalik and the rest must be laughing all the way to the bank..

Yeah.. I wonder who sold this time.. when so many others were being advised of a bug that would null their claim and transfer of ETH.

My first suspicion too. They know its going to crash so why not be the first one to sell?

Offline davidpbrown

Vitalik and the rest must be laughing all the way to the bank..

Yeah.. I wonder who sold this time.. when so many others were being advised of a bug that would null their claim and transfer of ETH.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline svk

I didn't invest in the IPO either even though I was quite certain it would be a good investment.

My reasons were purely ethical: the huge premine/bonus the developers gave themselves and the way it was hidden in the small type of the IPO conditions made me stay away completely. Vitalik and the rest must be laughing all the way to the bank..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline davidpbrown

Yes.. I hadn't seen that the IPO was 0.30. We'll see where it goes from here but as with BitShares, if it doesn't deliver utility to those who are not just speculating, then there might be another slippage. Part of utility will be stability in the chain and a lack of bugs and other limiting issues. Without having seen a BTC like success just yet, it's too soon to suggest they released to ETH too early.. they could still be the one that wins big.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
glad that this is the one project I did not invest in.

I didn't invest either but I'm certainly not glad about it. 

A $100 000 BTSX investment in August last year would be worth $10 000 today, while the same in Ether would be $220 000 at today's price. (0.69 per Ether) So you would have been 22x wealthier if you'd invested in Vitalik and friends.

I would have just sold my Ether as soon as I could though and probably have invested the proceeds into BTS 2.0 closer to the release date. (Once I'm convinced the new BitAsset system works & is more liquid -I'm already sold on the merits of the referral system.)

But it's a HUGE difference in the returns shareholders have currently got over the last year.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:07:07 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline davidpbrown

I haven't paid much attention and wasn't aware it was priced that off target.. not surprised.

Ethereum 24hr change down 70% atm http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/#markets and I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall a long way more, to below BitShares1.0 where it belongs.

There's no surprise seeing a dump at the open as that is normal, satisfying the substantial minority of speculators who become frustrated. Compounded with that what Ethereum is offering is underdeveloped, I'm not surprised that it's burning and glad that this is the one project I did not invest in.

Ethereum is ambitious to say the least and already there are alarming bugs that those claiming their ETH on Windohs could lose that into null addresses. I wonder then if there are others who are upgrading past that bug and getting out. There's a long way to go before I will buy in.. it's a fragile as Bitcoin in 2010 when I first saw that.. give Ethereum a year to bed down and prove itself.. and then I expect CounterParty will have made it available on BTC blockchain. Why Ethereum went the route of creating a new chain, I don't know.. it just added the wiff of altcoin.

Hopefully BitShares will take note and understand that smart investment follows real demonstrable utility.. BitShares2.0 will need to deliver more than hype and speculative opportunity.. and communicate that in an academic way, not just in marketing speak.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:49:09 am by davidpbrown »

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I have to say though. The ETH stack actually delivers on the promise to create your own DACs. While BitShares has been mostly talk, Stan memes and what not.

I love the ETH stack. It's not perfect and can be improved, there are scalability issues down the road, but reading the blog posts I have faith they are on the right track to solve all these issues.

Cheers!

+5%

If they just adjust people's expectations about what kinds of dapps are sustainable in the long term (what the price per trx really is), they're golden.

Thing is, you don't have to do everything in your DApp on their blockchain. You could run your own nodes that do checkpoints with the main blockchain. So, I don't think scalability is that much of an issue even with the current implementation.