Author Topic: Please stop changing the rules of the game  (Read 18158 times)

Offline lakerta06

Yes, progress is good.  Yes, change is tough.  But completely changing the monetary incentive to use a system to a new one that does not favor new investment is a scary proposition.

what changed? 20% goes to BTS if you are referring to the identabit sharedrop

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
the number one rule  of this game is called :

freedom to issue your oun social currency or UIA and create as much value for it as u can dream

toi tell another man what they are not allowed to do is not cool

BM is free to do what he wants here. so am i. so are you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:40:47 pm by giant middle finger »

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
We take this very seriously.  We learn, adapt, improve, ... compete. 
Have you read the reasoning behind the decision?  It was not made on a whim.

I am quite sure that you didn't do it on a whim. I'm not saying that. But the changes - in terms of the value a person gains from various actions (buying  pts, ags, or bts promoting Bitshares, or trying to build an allied business), as well as the core way that Bitshares is structured and its features have been subject to near constant changes from the start. My point is that when making such changes so often, regardless of how positive and well thought out those changes are, you make it very difficult for newcomers to get to grips with how to get involved, and potentially burn people who are already involved and trying to do something.

What's more this brownie point thing in particular is just another way of drawing value from the decentralized Bitshares to Cryptonomex. It feels like yet another example of what seems to be a general disregard for people who have actually bought into this thing in some way - either financially or with time and effort.

Offline raginglikeaboss

I just noticed that Brownie points are now a sharedrop target and might be given other benefits. This is not really a big deal on its own, but it points to something which I think is very important. Every other week the rules of the game change around here, or perhaps to put it more accurately the nature of the value proposition changes. It has been happening constantly, and it is very annoying and off-putting.

You can't build a castle on shifting sands.

If Bitshares wants to draw people in and get people involved and encourage people to build on it, then the one single most important thing those people need is to have some confidence that they won't have the rug pulled out from under their feet by the powers that be.

Personally I would have no confidence in building anything to do with Bitshares, because by the time it was completed things would have changed so much it would probably be unprofitable or impossible.

Please try to make just one damn thing work (commercially speaking) before screwing it off to go and make something else.

Yep.  Every single day we get up and think, "How can we add to the ecosystem value proposition?"

I hate it when that happens!

:)

This is the exact mentality that caused me to slowly pull out my major holdings in BTS/whatever assets.

profitofthegods, brings up a very valid point that changing the "rules of the game" can be very eroding on the morale of businesses and investors alike.

Yes, progress is good.  Yes, change is tough.  But completely changing the monetary incentive to use a system to a new one that does not favor new investment is a scary proposition.

And responding to such a serious and well thought out point, in an attempt to be pithy, is simply childish.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I just noticed that Brownie points are now a sharedrop target and might be given other benefits. This is not really a big deal on its own, but it points to something which I think is very important. Every other week the rules of the game change around here, or perhaps to put it more accurately the nature of the value proposition changes. It has been happening constantly, and it is very annoying and off-putting.

If Bitshares wants to draw people in and get people involved and encourage people to build on it, then the one single most important thing those people need is to have some confidence that they won't have the rug pulled out from under their feet by the powers that be.

Personally I would have no confidence in building anything to do with Bitshares, because by the time it was completed things would have changed so much it would probably be unprofitable or impossible.

Please try to make just one damn thing work (commercially speaking) before screwing it off to go and make something else.

Yep.  Every single day we get up and think, "How can we add to the ecosystem value proposition?"

Obviously you don't take this seriously. But let me give you another example from my personal; experience.

I liked the idea of earning interest on BitAssets and thought much more could be done to market this. I started writing articles, published a couple, and was preparing a marketing site focussed especially on BitGold. Before I could actually do anything the rules of the game changed and interest was removed.

Wasting my time may not be a big deal, but it is indicative and I'm sure I'm not alone in this kind of experience.

You can't have a decentralized business if you keep changing fundamentals. Yes, you may be able to keep coming up with changes that will somehow improve things, but if you do then you will always be still at ground zero with a new product, nothing built around it, and few users / supporters / workers do anything useful.

We take this very seriously.  We learn, adapt, improve, ... compete. 
Have you read the reasoning behind the decision?  It was not made on a whim.

Lessons Learned that led to BitShares 2.0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:04:32 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
everyone is free to issue an asset and to sharedrop on whatever they like.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
everyone is free to issue an asset and to sharedrop on whatever they like.

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile

Obviously you don't take this seriously. But let me give you another example from my personal; experience.

I liked the idea of earning interest on BitAssets and thought much more could be done to market this. I started writing articles, published a couple, and was preparing a marketing site focussed especially on BitGold. Before I could actually do anything the rules of the game changed and interest was removed.

Wasting my time may not be a big deal, but it is indicative and I'm sure I'm not alone in this kind of experience.

You can't have a decentralized business if you keep changing fundamentals. Yes, you may be able to keep coming up with changes that will somehow improve things, but if you do then you will always be still at ground zero with a new product, nothing built around it, and few users / supporters / workers do anything useful.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile