Author Topic: What does Sharedrop mean?  (Read 6432 times)

Offline EstefanTT

I totally agree. We need something like "Bitshares 101" but dummier.
10-15 pages maximum, ELI5, the 11 elements of bitshares.org simplified, a recap of the summer announcements, a couple of things more (sharedrop, ...)
Kencode could help with a translation in major languages.

Nobody buys bitshares because they don't understand it. Everytime someone start to get it, they become big fans !
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

Its amazing to me how many people out there can manage to interpret anything good about bitshares as a negative.
For example, some people think Bitshares 2.0 upgrade means that the current BTS is going to become worthless and they have to sell it, which is pretty much the opposite of reality.

I understand you but that's actually our fault for not passing the message correctly. It may be a simple concept but we need to make it as easy as possible for anyone to understand from a newbies point of view. All this information - which is constantly changing - can be overwhelming. We need to make it dummy proof.

Sticky threads on the general or newbie section with stuff like:

- BitShares 2.0 is about to be released. What does this mean?
- What is sharedropping? Hint: Free stuff!
- Someone told me the refferal system is a pyramid scheme, is this true?

And have all of that in a single section, easy to find for a newbie. I.e. FAQ section

By the way, this forum's search engine SUCKS. It's already bad enough to try to hunt  for info, let alone with that useless tool. That doesn't help too.

yeah i really like your approach here! So why we not creating a ELI5 board .. no sub-board and above general discussion … would that make sense in general?

Yes, we definitely need that! The way I see it we could do it this way

Make a section where only mods and admins can create threads. We could find every single piece of info about BitShares here. Announcements, FAQ, guides, How-to's, etc. Push the newbie section inside as a sub section where newbies could create all kind of threads about all the info they just read.

I can try and work some text out but as I'm not a techie, I'll have to let those issues aside or just compile info from around the forum.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Its amazing to me how many people out there can manage to interpret anything good about bitshares as a negative.
For example, some people think Bitshares 2.0 upgrade means that the current BTS is going to become worthless and they have to sell it, which is pretty much the opposite of reality.

I understand you but that's actually our fault for not passing the message correctly. It may be a simple concept but we need to make it as easy as possible for anyone to understand from a newbies point of view. All this information - which is constantly changing - can be overwhelming. We need to make it dummy proof.

And have all of that in a single section, easy to find for a newbie. I.e. FAQ section

By the way, this forum's search engine SUCKS. It's already bad enough to try to hunt  for info, let alone with that useless tool. That doesn't help too.

yeah i really like your approach here! So why we not creating a ELI5 board .. no sub-board and above general discussion … would that make sense in general?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I agree.

Pretty much every single summer announcement has managed to be taken by the market as a negative thing.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:43:43 pm by Akado »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I want to buy and hold a large quantity of Bitshares hoping the price takes off when 2.0 is released. But what has got me spooked peopled are talking about share dropping sounds like they are diluting the price so the value doesn't rise? What exactly is Share dropping? Can someone explain in detail?

Sharedropping is where you get FREE THINGS from another chain.  For example, by owning BTS you will get free Identabit coins when they come out.

Its purely a positive thing.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
What does sharedrop mean?

If 'Dropcoin' does a sharedrop on 'Targetcoin', people who have Targetcoins can claim some Dropcoins. (This would usually be in proportion to the amount of Targetcoins they have)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
https://bitshares.org/technology/stakeholder-approved-project-funding/

3.7 billion BTS

IIRC vesting balance for refs will start with 2 months. graphic is outdated

@bytemaster : is this correct? i will update gfx then asap!

but end supply is still up to date, correct? That's why i was posting this img!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Answer: Sharedrops good.. no sharedrops bad.

Not investing advice.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
My goal buy now, sell when 2.0 comes out if there's a spike in price after the release, good idea? bad idea?

Why would you sell right after 2.0 comes out? If it does all that is promised, it will be best blockchain available and attract lots of business and users. After a while BTS price might be way more higher than it was when 2.0 came out.

Especially since that is when everyone starts getting rewarded for every referral they make of someone new.  That gets you up to 80% of the new user's fees for life.  So there are many people waiting for 2.0 to start telling everyone.  Our expectation is a huge and accelerating increase in the rate of new user signups.

That should have a positive effect on demand and therefore on price which the speculators should notice...

With new users virally bringing in more new users, where do you want to get off of this elevator?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:30:18 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Offline Marketorder

• View Profile
Is there inflation with Bitshares 2.0 like with Ethereum? Is the total shares available now the max amount that will be created?

After reading all of this I'm 100% more confused than I was then before I asked the question. I guess I'll never will be able to understand what Share drop means but my main concern if I buy $100,000 of Bitshares now before Bitshares 2.0 comes out and there is a Sharedrop before or after 2.0 is released will Bitshares price be effective by that share drop? If so how will it effect the price?

My goal buy now, sell when 2.0 comes out if there's a spike in price after the release, good idea? bad idea?

Share drop means someone is dropping free shares onto you as if throwing money from a helicopter.

For every BitShare you own, you get some number of "newshares" for what ever coin is being given away free.

This tends to make BitShares more valuable because of that expectation.

Then after the drop, BitShares goes back to its previous price (since that special deal has ended), but now you have "newshares" in you wallet too.

Offline fuzzy

After reading all of this I'm 100% more confused than I was then before I asked the question. I guess I'll never will be able to understand what Share drop means but my main concern if I buy $100,000 of Bitshares now before Bitshares 2.0 comes out and there is a Sharedrop before or after 2.0 is released will Bitshares price be effective by that share drop? If so how will it effect the price?

Share drop means someone is dropping free shares onto you as if throwing money from a helicopter.

For every BitShare you own, you get some number of "newshares" for what ever coin is being given away free.

This tends to make BitShares more valuable because of that expectation.

Then after the drop, BitShares goes back to its previous price (since that special deal has ended), but now you have "newshares" in you wallet too.

I think I have a way to explain this easily.  Imagine if Satoshi Nakamoto had said when Bitcoin came out, "Since Bitcoin is open source and endlessly reproducible, I urge all users to strongly reconsider buying an altcoin that hasn't given bitcoin holders at least a free sample of the alternative network (to give them a chance to see if it is any different/better than bitcoin before you go buying into it)".  "If you are a developer, give some of your coins to the people who will understand and appreciate them most by sharedropping!" 

Imagine how much better this makes BitShares as an investment vehicle over the others. It makes it more like a DAC mutual fund whose investments are always growing as partnerships increase.

So in the above example, John finds out that Ethereum will give 10% of its tokens to the holders of Bitshares via sharedrop, and they will take the "snapshot" (the list of token holders at any given time) at midnight on 7 September, Bitshares will now be worth more  for the period leading up to the final day (when the when the snapshot is created).  The price will steadily rise as people start coming into the market to buy (and hold bitshares) anticipating a sharedrop.  But on the date that the Ethereum Devs take the "snapshot" (used to get the list of accounts and holdings) you will see a sharp decline in the price of bitshares because the price will no longer reflect the Ether implied to be attached to each bts before the sharedrop was completed.   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:09:08 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

Why would you sell right after 2.0 comes out? If it does all that is promised, it will be best blockchain available and attract lots of business and users. After a while BTS price might be way more higher than it was when 2.0 came out.