Author Topic: Importing Keys into Graphene  (Read 16867 times)

Offline EstefanTT

Is the backup file necessary ? I read earlier in one thread that it doesn't work and the better way to do it was to create a new wallet and import the keys.json in it.

Right, I only listed for reference.  keys.json is what you need.
Ok, cool. I'll wait to see if it ends working. Tell me if it works for you ;)
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Xeldal

Is the backup file necessary ? I read earlier in one thread that it doesn't work and the better way to do it was to create a new wallet and import the keys.json in it.

Right, I only listed for reference.  keys.json is what you need.

Offline EstefanTT

Hey guys,

I finally could get the keys.json (from 0.09.3c through the console / windows 10) and I tried to import it in the light (destop client).

I created a new wallet and imported the keys,json file. After a while I coudl see my balances and I hit the "import" button.

I had a black sceen with "Wallet Management Console - Importing Keys (waiting gif icon spinning)". I wait for hours and finally close the client.

I tried through the browser client but it told me me that I couldn't import because "this wallet have already beel imported".

So, I came back to the desktop light client, went through the steps to import, saw my balances, click on "import" and I am stuck again with the "Wallet Management Console - Importing Keys (waiting gif icon spinning)"

Did I do something wrong or missed something in the process ?

I have the same experience.  I've let it sit for over 24 hrs and still nothing.  My keys.json file is over 15MB. backup.json is over 530MB

Xeldal

Hey guys,

I finally could get the keys.json (from 0.09.3c through the console / windows 10) and I tried to import it in the light (destop client).

I created a new wallet and imported the keys,json file. After a while I coudl see my balances and I hit the "import" button.

I had a black sceen with "Wallet Management Console - Importing Keys (waiting gif icon spinning)". I wait for hours and finally close the client.

I tried through the browser client but it told me me that I couldn't import because "this wallet have already beel imported".

So, I came back to the desktop light client, went through the steps to import, saw my balances, click on "import" and I am stuck again with the "Wallet Management Console - Importing Keys (waiting gif icon spinning)"

I have the same experience.  I've let it sit for over 24 hrs and still nothing.  My keys.json file is over 15MB. backup.json is over 530MB

Offline EstefanTT

Hey guys,

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:35:08 pm by EstefanTT »

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
1. First of all I am stuck synching @ 3711503.. Does this matter? Can I still
create the necessary JSON file backup or do I need to synch first? (i.e. delete
everything in bitshares folder except chain and wallet and try again?)
You can still export the wallet. Only thing is, if you have not synced
completely, you will miss funds that have send to you after your last full sync.
not sure if you expect any.

2. I typed in the console wallet_export keys <a name> I got a message ok. I am
looking for that name in my pc and I can't find it. I have looked at
%appdata%bitshares and it is not there...

It sometimes needs more time for the export to complete. The "OK" unfortunatelly
does not indicated success and completion.

Try with some more patiance ..
it is a big problem the older transaction will not be included when import a not-synched wallet.
One just can import a old wallet, and spend twice.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
1. First of all I am stuck synching @ 3711503.. Does this matter? Can I still
create the necessary JSON file backup or do I need to synch first? (i.e. delete
everything in bitshares folder except chain and wallet and try again?)
You can still export the wallet. Only thing is, if you have not synced
completely, you will miss funds that have send to you after your last full sync.
not sure if you expect any.

2. I typed in the console wallet_export keys <a name> I got a message ok. I am
looking for that name in my pc and I can't find it. I have looked at
%appdata%bitshares and it is not there...

It sometimes needs more time for the export to complete. The "OK" unfortunatelly
does not indicated success and completion.

Try with some more patiance ..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
@fav thank you very much. i can see the file now..

I misinterpreted the simple instructions ::)

+5% :)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
@fav thank you very much. i can see the file now..

I misinterpreted the simple instructions ::)

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I've exported keys, but when I try to import it says the wallet has the wrong chain id. The info command shows the correct chain, and i started the cli_wallet with the correct chain id. Is there something else I should be doing?
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I am trying to save my backup file json using fav's instructions and 0.9.3c. Apparently I am doing something wrong...

1. First of all I am stuck synching @ 3711503.. Does this matter? Can I still create the necessary JSON file backup or do I need to synch first? (i.e. delete everything in bitshares folder except chain and wallet and try again?)

2. I typed in the console wallet_export keys <a name> I got a message ok. I am looking for that name in my pc and I can't find it. I have looked at %appdata%bitshares and it is not there...

I knew I am going to have problems with this.Any help is appreciated. Please very very stupid instructions...

you have to set the full folder name like

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\keys.json

as explained in the blog post.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I am trying to save my backup file json using fav's instructions and 0.9.3c. Apparently I am doing something wrong...

1. First of all I am stuck synching @ 3711503.. Does this matter? Can I still create the necessary JSON file backup or do I need to synch first? (i.e. delete everything in bitshares folder except chain and wallet and try again?)

2. I typed in the console wallet_export keys <a name> I got a message ok. I am looking for that name in my pc and I can't find it. I have looked at %appdata%bitshares and it is not there...

I knew I am going to have problems with this.Any help is appreciated. Please very very stupid instructions...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Dumb question:

If I import my wallet from v0.9.3c to graphene
am I supposed to import also the keys manually? Are they not automatic also imported with the wallet import?
(because I see everywhere wallet import + keys import)
I guess it is shoud read   "wallet import / keys import" :D

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Dumb question:

If I import my wallet from v0.9.3c to graphene
am I supposed to import also the keys manually? Are they not automatic also imported with the wallet import?
(because I see everywhere wallet import + keys import)

Offline svk

another question: I originally logged into the wallet from my Chrome browser, where I can see the top menu items ACCOUNT, EXPLORER, EXCHANGE and TRANSFER. Then I tried to open the wallet from a different browser, expecting to get a login challenge. Instead, if I go to my wallet link in Firefox (  https://graphene.bitshares.org/#/account/werneo/overview )  I can see everything in the wallet with the exception of the top menu choices.  There is also a NEW menu item called LINK/UNLINK in the sidebar of firefox. Not sure what that does. So does this mean that everyone's wallet is viewable so long as the user name is known?

Yes, until we get support for blinded transactions all balances and transactions will be visible to everyone.

Also, wallets are per browser, so if you create a wallet in Chrome you cannot access that wallet in Firefox unless you export it from Chrome then import it in Firefox.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks