Author Topic: Importing Keys into Graphene  (Read 16902 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Yes that's the guide I used. Still no files.  :o definitely more stupid than you.  :)

hum, tried a search for your name.json? maybe you got some files hidden on your drive?

edit: or try some other folders C:\Users\**YOURUSERNAME**\Downloads
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:46:04 am by fav »

Offline aragoon

• View Profile
Yes that's the guide I used. Still no files.  :o definitely more stupid than you.  :)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
OK. Thanks. I'm stupid.  :P
To someone who uses wallets but never has to go to console, yes, it is harder and entering that "one line" is difficult.  I don't mind a challenge. I spent over a year trying to get 0.9.2 to work and never gave up. Of course  I got comments like "it works fine for me" which implied that I was the only one on the planet experiencing problems with it.  But maybe you're right, no need to do anything. It's obviously so easy already so just ignore people like me ie non-tech people who are enthusiastic about BTS and want to participate and support as much as possible.
Also, I entered the "one line" (actually a couple of different lines are offered in the guides) but can't find the files? How is that possible , it all being so easy I mean?
A humble request from a non-tech. I don't want to have to learn DOS commands just so as to protect my wallet files for migration to the future of banking. We should be beyond that stage. I hope BTS will get mass adoption sooner rather than later.  :D

hah! I'm non-tech too and probably more stupid than you ;)

I figured it out, so can you! http://blog.smartcoin.pw/2015/09/bitshares-how-to-prepare-your-wallet.html

Offline aragoon

• View Profile
OK. Thanks. I'm stupid.  :P
To someone who uses wallets but never has to go to console, yes, it is harder and entering that "one line" is difficult.  I don't mind a challenge. I spent over a year trying to get 0.9.2 to work and never gave up. Of course  I got comments like "it works fine for me" which implied that I was the only one on the planet experiencing problems with it.  But maybe you're right, no need to do anything. It's obviously so easy already so just ignore people like me ie non-tech people who are enthusiastic about BTS and want to participate and support as much as possible.
Also, I entered the "one line" (actually a couple of different lines are offered in the guides) but can't find the files? How is that possible , it all being so easy I mean?
A humble request from a non-tech. I don't want to have to learn DOS commands just so as to protect my wallet files for migration to the future of banking. We should be beyond that stage. I hope BTS will get mass adoption sooner rather than later.  :D

I guess I'm wanting to make the point that, at this stage in the development of wallets, it should be exceptional/optional  for anyone to use the console. It seems to be an unnecessary hurdle, however easy it really is for folks familiar with commands. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:28:53 am by aragoon »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
AFAIK, 0.9.3c(!!) has this menu item already ... at least that's what the RELEASENOTES say:
* Export Menu in GUI should now save Graphene compatible Backups

Also,  @aragoon, I recall someone saying that (even though the commandline returned 'OK') it may take some time to construct that file if you have many accounts/keys in your wallet.
Maybe just wait alittle

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
I finally abandoned efforts to get 0.9.2 to work and tried 0.9.3 which works perfectly. I now have 0.9.3c running. I want to prepare to migrate wallet to 2.0 so

desktop win7 64bit ver 0.9.3c
chain and transactions fully up to date.
select:        account....advanced.....console.....
type:           wallet_export_keys C:\default.json   enter    returns     OK
type:           wallet_export_keys C:\name.json       enter   returns     OK
type:           wallet_export_keys json.name              enter   returns    OK
Look for files in C:\program files\bitshares                     not there
Look for files in .......appdata\roaming\bitshares           not there

Where are the files? Have I missed out a command or step?

Why not have 0.9.3d with menu option to export keys for migration to (select folder) ? Even basic commands are going to be a step too far for people who don't use console. Just a suggestion. Or you can wait for all the people to turn up asking how to use console. Confusion, lost wallets etc etc.  :)

it's literally one line in the console. that's not harder than finding and clicking to export keys via menu.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Why not have 0.9.3d with menu option to export keys for migration to (select folder) ? Even basic commands are going to be a step too far for people who don't use console. Just a suggestion. Or you can wait for all the people to turn up asking how to use console. Confusion, lost wallets etc etc.  :)

I agree.Please make it easier..

Offline aragoon

• View Profile
I finally abandoned efforts to get 0.9.2 to work and tried 0.9.3 which works perfectly. I now have 0.9.3c running. I want to prepare to migrate wallet to 2.0 so

desktop win7 64bit ver 0.9.3c
chain and transactions fully up to date.
select:        account....advanced.....console.....
type:           wallet_export_keys C:\default.json   enter    returns     OK
type:           wallet_export_keys C:\name.json       enter   returns     OK
type:           wallet_export_keys json.name              enter   returns    OK
Look for files in C:\program files\bitshares                     not there
Look for files in .......appdata\roaming\bitshares           not there

Where are the files? Have I missed out a command or step?

Offline svk

If you're on Mac you can use this release: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases/tag/untagged-4166986045ff28284dc4

If not you can build this branch: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/tree/bitshares

Like it says you need to use the new wallet_export_keys method.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I've been trying to import my wallets into graphene for a while but I always get the error that the json file is not the right format. I can import the json back from the hosted web wallet but can't import the json backup from the desktop application. Thanks for you're help in advanced @bytemaster, @jcalfee1

You should wait 0.9.3 or build it by yourself
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

clout

I've been trying to import my wallets into graphene for a while but I always get the error that the json file is not the right format. I can import the json back from the hosted web wallet but can't import the json backup from the desktop application. Thanks for you're help in advanced @bytemaster, @jcalfee1