Author Topic: Please help  (Read 9613 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hi Xeroc,

I have tried "open default" and I get this:
10001 level_map_failure: level_map open failure
Failure opening database c:/Users/..../AppData/Roaming/BitShares/wallets/default
  {"db"::"C:/Users/..SAME PATH/default","msg":Corruption checksum mismatch"}

So it might not be a problem with the password, but some corrupted file.

What can I do at this point?

Locate the automatic backups in %APPDATA%\Roadming\BitShares\wallets\.backups\default   (note the "." in front of backups)
pick the newest backup and restore from the menu bar in the GUI

Offline Louis

Hi  Liondani,

I was in the process of making a second backup of my json file and I ran into an older folder under My Documents/bitshare where I had installed the previous version of Bitshares, I am running it right now and it says at the bottom:  Replaying blockchain ... Approximately 37% complete.

It does not show what version it is, but I did installed it back on Feb 6th 2015

Maybe I would be able to login to this wallet and get my key when it completes replaying the blockchain.

------

Meanwhile under the /wallet/default of (0.9.2 installed on July 10, 2015) , I found a file called 000197.log (dated 7/24/2015) that shows the name of my account and "owner_key" that starts with 5bts5...... all together there are 54 characters, it is followed by registration_date, last_update and a whole bunch of other stuff,  the whole file is 192k.

Could the owner_key be the recovery key?

-------

BTW I am running the wallet on a Windows 7 computer, no Linux

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
be sure you keep safely all your backup.json files on a second storage/usb
and my opinion is to use better the latest you have when trying to do the import....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:23:18 pm by liondani »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Hi Xeroc,

Failure opening database c:/Users/..../AppData/Roaming/BitShares/wallets/default

well it seems it has not to do with the password...
try this:
rename the folder "wallets" to  "wallets_backup" for example.... (path something like c:/Users/..../AppData/Roaming/BitShares/)
then open the bitshares client again....
it will request from you to create an new account ....
don't do it but get to the file menu and import from there your backup file...  (.json)

PS better you do it with the new version 0.9.3c
PS2 be patient and wait until your wallet sync again
PS3 Is there any chance you are using the windows client on a linux system using wine  ? ? ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:15:20 pm by liondani »

Offline Louis

Hi Xeroc,

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Liondani I really appreciate you replies.

I just noticed that I may be entering the password correctly, however the wallet (0.9.1) does not give me any indication that I have entered the wrong password, I don't get any error message at all. All it does after I've entered my password is come up with 3 circles that grow from left to right and right to left for about 4 seconds, then I enter another password the three circles appear for a fraction of a second.

Shouldn't I be getting a "wrong password" message or something?

PS: I did find a backup from Sep 1, 2014, named: Bitshare X Wallet Backup.json

Please try with the bitshares_client.exe CLI wallet instead .. once you opened it .. it will eventually reach the input indicated with ">>>" .. then you type "open default" to open the default wallet ...
once you see ">>>" again .. you type "unlock 999999" hit enter and provide the passphrase ..

if no error appears, your pass phrase is fine ..

you can also type "info" to get information about syncing progress etc..

Offline Louis

Liondani I really appreciate you replies.

I just noticed that I may be entering the password correctly, however the wallet (0.9.1) does not give me any indication that I have entered the wrong password, I don't get any error message at all. All it does after I've entered my password is come up with 3 circles that grow from left to right and right to left for about 4 seconds, then I enter another password the three circles appear for a fraction of a second.

Shouldn't I be getting a "wrong password" message or something?

PS: I did find a backup from Sep 1, 2014, named: Bitshare X Wallet Backup.json

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Is it possible your password has also spaces?
If so and your password for example is "123456 789" try only the first part of your password (   "123456")

https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/issues/1054

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
If I remember correctly there is a known bug for older backups that displays "incorect password" or something like that,  installing version 0.5.3(if I remember correctly) and importing the wallet and then upgrading to the latest version could solve this, but I don't know if this is what is happening to you  :-\

I don't remember on which version it happened but you are right. So if that is the case upgrading should fix his problem....

chryspano

I had downloaded Bitshares 0.9.1 back in July. I synced it and it was up to date.

I do have a json backup of my wallet from Frebruary 2015

I bought a new computer and am in the process of downloading  0.9.3c.

I don't remember changing the password on my current wallet, when I try to login with my normal password it is not letting me in.

Is there a way to recover my account with the February json file that I have after installing Bishares 0.9.3c on my new computer?

Is there a limit to the password login attemps one can use?

Thank you,

EDIT: I did find a json backup prior to installing 0.9.1 in July 10th 2015

Are you sure your backup is from February and not abit older?

If I remember correctly there is a known bug for older backups that displays "incorect password" or something like that,  installing version 0.5.3(if I remember correctly) and importing the wallet and then upgrading to the latest version could solve this, but I don't know if this is what is happening to you  :-\

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Thanks for you reply Xeroc.

On other question: Let's say that I find my password a week or a month after the 2.0 release, would I be able to still try to use the 0.9.1 wallet to access my account?

... after you find it update to  0.9.3c that is the only version that will let you easily make you a graphene(bts2.0) compatible wallet backup.... and after your 0.9.3c backup you are ready to install graphene(bts2.0.) and import from your last backup.

PS it is possible it works BUT then it would be bts1.0 tokens not bts2.0! You must import your wallet to the new bts2.0 wallet, and yes you can do it after 13 October
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:56:46 am by liondani »

Offline Louis

Thanks for you reply Xeroc.

On other question: Let's say that I find my password a week or a month after the 2.0 release, would I be able to still try to use the 0.9.1 wallet to access my account?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks Riverhead and Triglodactyl for your suggestions.

are there instructions on how to go about using a dictionary or a brute force strategy?

Or do you mean to just create my own dictionary and just try it one by one?
There are no automated tools that can help you with this yet .. You will need to write this yourself :(

Offline Louis

Thanks Riverhead and Triglodactyl for your suggestions.

are there instructions on how to go about using a dictionary or a brute force strategy?

Or do you mean to just create my own dictionary and just try it one by one?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Thanks for your response Troglodactyl,

If I am not able to remember my password is there a way to get it back with just the Json backup?

Without the password you can't get into the wallet.  If you can't remember the password, the only other option would be using a dictionary or brute force strategy to try to guess the password if it isn't too long and complex.