Author Topic: Please help  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Louis

Great, thanks Liondani, that makes sense, I will do that. I am still syncing.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
GOOD NEWS!!!!

I downloaded 0.9.3c and I was able to import my .json file and I was able to get it, with my normal password no problem. I just need to sync the wallet.

THANK YOU ALL so much for walking me through this.

congrats!!!

ONE FINAL STEP:
export NOW a backup .json wallet from your current wallet 0.9.3c (and keep the new .json file safe on 2 devices) because THAT .json file will be the compatible import file for graphene(bts2.0)!

PS when you are synced I suggest you make one more account on your wallet and move all your funds there since you found a secret key in plain text on your computer... (that way the wallet will use a new secret key for the new account that will not get exposed like the last one,just in case)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Just to be sure, a person can slap the v0.92 chain folder under v0.93 correct? (to help sync faster)
Confirmed .. a reindex may be required (cant remember)

Tuck Fheman

Just to be sure, a person can slap the v0.92 chain folder under v0.93 correct? (to help sync faster)

Offline Louis

GOOD NEWS!!!!

I downloaded 0.9.3c and I was able to import my .json file and I was able to get it, with my normal password no problem. I just need to sync the wallet.

THANK YOU ALL so much for walking me through this.

Offline Louis

I found the log file (000197.log) with the owner_key under /wallet/default and I just doubled checked and it does start with 5bts5.... (54 characters all together)

I do have a BitShares Wallet Backup.json file that was from prior to installing 0.9.2 (July 10, 2015)

The old wallet from back in February has finished syncing but it is doing what the new (0.9.2) is doing, namely it's just does not say if the password is wrong or anything, no matter what I enter nothing happens except for the three dots that appear and disappear.

I will now download the new wallet (0.9.3c) and see what happens.

Hopefully the owner_key that starts with 5BTS5... is worth something (I had never changed it manually).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:19:17 pm by Louis »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Is there no *.json file around?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
with your backup .json file and your password you will recover on any computer your account...
with the  key you found as far as i know you can NOT do the recover (it's just a public key, at least I think so), it is not your secret key. The wallet don't expose anywhere your secret keys in plain text (it is only encrypted inside your .json backup file). Waiting xeroc to confirm this  :)
To clarify:
public keys (worthless) start with "BTS...."
private keys (to spend your funds) start with "5...."

Meanwhile under the /wallet/default of (0.9.2 installed on July 10, 2015) , I found a file called 000197.log (dated 7/24/2015) that shows the name of my account and "owner_key" that starts with 5bts5...... all together there are 54 characters, it is followed by registration_date, last_update and a whole bunch of other stuff,  the whole file is 192k.

strange that he found then a secret key on a log file !!! I can only remember on the very early days that that was the case with dangerous log files, but i think only for wallets that had delegates activated,not?....

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
with your backup .json file and your password you will recover on any computer your account...
with the  key you found as far as i know you can NOT do the recover (it's just a public key, at least I think so), it is not your secret key. The wallet don't expose anywhere your secret keys in plain text (it is only encrypted inside your .json backup file). Waiting xeroc to confirm this  :)
To clarify:
public keys (worthless) start with "BTS...."
private keys (to spend your funds) start with "5...."

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
I am confident I have a good backup of the .json wallet file. What I think I need is my recovery key, just in case, can I get this from my old wallet once I login?

If I do find my recovery key can I use that to recover my account on another computer if need be?

Do you know if the owner_key fond on the file I mentioned earlier is the key I need to recover my account?

Thanks again

edit: it is a secret key! Don't expose it!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:06:51 pm by liondani »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I am confident I have a good backup of the .json wallet file. What I think I
need is my recovery key, just in case, can I get this from my old wallet once I
login?

If I do find my recovery key can I use that to recover my account on another computer if need be?
The full client does not use recovery keys or a brain key.
All you need to recover your funds is the wallet backup file and the pass
phrase.

Do you know if the owner_key fond on the file I mentioned earlier is the key I
need to recover my account?
Usually you can recover access to your funds from your owner key.
You may need to run
wallet_regenerate_keys <accountname> 10500
and rescan the blockchain, but with the owner (private) key you can in most
cases recover your account and the funds.

The only cases where this does not work if you had changed your keys manually
and received funds afterwards (I would doubt that)

Offline Louis

I am confident I have a good backup of the .json wallet file. What I think I need is my recovery key, just in case, can I get this from my old wallet once I login?

Do you know if the owner_key fond on the file I mentioned earlier is the key I need to recover my account?

Thanks again

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
But I am afraid that if I installed 0.9.3c it might overwrite something on 0.9.2, should I be concern about that?

Or should I do what Xeroc said on 0.9.2, the upgrade to 0.9.3c?

BTW the older version is about 10 to 20 minutes from finishing syncing, I should be able to login with my password, would it be worth it just in case my password did change?

Thank you so much for putting up with my issue.

you will not have a problem with the upgrade. Just in case, and to be more confident copy  the folder "wallets" to another safe folder on your computer or a usb device before upgrading....
If it is only 20 minutes just wait and when you are ready login and export your wallet again(and keep the .json file safe) from this wallet, but after that you should upgrade to 0.9.3c and make from there a last export of your wallet because it will be much easier to make the transition to bts2.0 using the backup .json file from this version....

Offline Louis

But I am afraid that if I installed 0.9.3c it might overwrite something on 0.9.2, should I be concern about that?

Or should I do what Xeroc said on 0.9.2, and then upgrade to 0.9.3c?

BTW the older version is about 10 to 20 minutes from finishing syncing, I should be able to login with my password, would it be worth it just in case my password did change?

Thank you so much for putting up with my issue.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:07:05 pm by Louis »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
do what xeroc said ^^^  but with the latest version v0.9.3c and it should work!  Don't waist your time waiting to sync with an old version since you will have to upgrade to v0.9.3c at the end to make a final export of your wallet that is compatible with bts2.0 that will be released on 13 October 2015  ;)   (it often replays all the blockchain on upgrades, so make you a favor and make your import fro client v0.9.3c)

https://bitshares.org/download/
or
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases