Author Topic: Coordinating Continuous Internationalization for BitShares and Graphene  (Read 9977 times)

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
  • BitShares: rnglab
Easy steps to start translating: Create an account on transifex.com or login with your github or google account. Pick a username and search for project bitshares. There you can choose to join bitshares.org, graphene-ui and soon docs.graphene translation teams. Start translating with these easy steps:

(Just ignore the "collect phrases" step below, that's for project administrators)

You will notice graphene-ui project does not have the Live option, that's because it's not a live web translation, so only step 2 applies (second pic: web editor).

Every one can ask administrators (xeroc cas and I so far)for the role that better suits your task: http://docs.transifex.com/introduction/#user-roles-in-transifex

(ipfs.pics rules)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:49:26 am by rnglab »

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. I'll start making a simple tutorial to make it easy to join.

@valzav, @theredpill welcome aboard!

Please create an account on transifex.com or just login with google or github, let me know your nicknames (or just search for bitshares-org or graphene-ui projects and click Join Team), so I can grant you permissions.

Offline theredpill

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
This is absolutely brilliant work and will help BitShares not only to reach more people, but also with political diversification.

Offline valzav

• View Profile
rnglab, it would be great if you could coordinate internationalization. I can work on russian translation, please let me know how to join Transifex project.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think this is very important as well.

I also think that this should occur based on the resources we have available.

I am not sure how you would do this.. but I would suggest somehow reaching out to translation communities where people who do translation work can be reached and somehow start getting them educated on bitshares perhaps. We should have a translator that is proficient and possibly even certified in their capacity to translate properly I think.

The cost at this stage is not an option as you mentioned, however, you can make your worker proposal to pay for that.

I think it would see support so long as it is well planned out.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
I think most here would be surprised to know how many people in Latin America that, even having an acceptable  knowledge of English, simply refuses to read anything in this language.

I doubt that this phenomenon occurs in the proportion to Russian and Chinese for example, but in any case the benefits of internationalization can be substantial.

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
I might purpose myself to coordinate internationalization  tasks.

Transifex platform worked great for translating  both bitshares.org and graphene-ui into Spanish.
(I guess most of you would get surprised 
Working with Transifex "Live" feature for websites is a breeze. We can set any type of rules to prevent breaking page layouts and see changes in realtime before pushing translations. We already have a staging server to publish translations before taking them to production. Tool set, workflow and user roles for collaborative translations are just great too. .

Github integration works nice too,  source locale is pulled (and automatically updated) from github so translators doesn't have to constantly compare their locales on  github for changes on the source file. If something changes on github translators get notified by mail, new translatable keys are added and deprecated ones removed respecting the file format, so keeping translations up to date is much easy and consistent.

Same can be done with Transifex-Sphinx integration for Graphene documentation.

Most or our contents are highly technical and with very own  Bitshares/graphene semantics/technisisms. so even paying for good quality technical translations won't do much better than a raw google translate as it will  still require for advanced community members to deeply review each translation. Also as far as I've seen technical translations are priced from 0.07 up tu 0.2 usd per word, bitshares.org alone has more than 30k words so that's not an option at this point. That's why I decided to translate into Spanish myself.

I'll be posting simple tutorials to introduce the platform and workflow when I fin the time to do it, but I'm afraid that won't be enough to  to have quality results on time.

I'm looking for a way to reward some trusted community members as language team coordinators, any advice will be appreciated. Bitshares-argentina delegate savings could help but that won't be enough.

Having a child board or sticky thread may be a good starting point to coordinate and keeping information organized.