Author Topic: How to Restore Wallet from Brainkey?  (Read 7656 times)

Xeldal

I've got another issue now with brain keys that may be a related problem.

I've got an account I created 4 months ago around the launch of OL. 
I have access to the account, no problem in the light-wallet.

If I want to backup the brain key, It is not possible.
I select backup brain key, enter my password, it shows me the brain key, I copy this and click verify.
In pasting the brain key back in, tells me "Brainkey does not match, keep going..."

I've enter the key with copy/paste and also completely manually and it makes no difference.  It will not verify the brain key.
I have tried this on openledger using chrome and it worked all fine.
could you try copy paste it to a text editor and compare the copied
words one by one?

I've created a new account and it also will not let me verify the brain key. 

[UPDATE]
Woah!  I just tried to create a brain key on a completely different wallet in the webwallet and I got the *exact* same brain key as I got on the light client for a completely different wallet.

Something is definitely wrong here.
I also checked this and can't reproduce the issue.

Are you using the light client or a hosted wallet?

So for the issue with the same brainkey on webwallet and light-client, Im guessing I must have exported and imported a backup.  It wasn't obvious though because 1 wallet has 30 accounts and the other only has 1 account.   The one with 30 are all from 0.9 though so they wouldn't have shown up with the backup i used for light client.  false alarm, my mistake.

the issue of not being able to verify the backup is still present for me.  Strangely it now worked on the light-client but the same paste does not work on the web-wallet.  Before when I tried, it did not work in either place.

I'm using firefox.  I tried the same in chrome and it works fine. 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

I select backup brain key, enter my password, it shows me the brain key, I copy this and click verify.
In pasting the brain key back in, tells me "Brainkey does not match, keep going..."

I've enter the key with copy/paste and also completely manually and it makes no difference.  It will not verify the brain key.
I have tried this on openledger using chrome and it worked all fine.
could you try copy paste it to a text editor and compare the copied
words one by one?

[UPDATE]
Woah!  I just tried to create a brain key on a completely different wallet in the webwallet and I got the *exact* same brain key as I got on the light client for a completely different wallet.

I also checked this and can't reproduce the issue.

Are you using the light client or a hosted wallet?

Xeldal

[UPDATE]

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
It didn't work for him.  :(  Has something changed since launch in the way wallets are created using custom brain keys?

he has shared with me the seed he used and I've tried everything I can think of.  It's all numbers and letters and does not contain any special characters.  It does contain a mix of upper and lower case letters.  I noticed the normalize_brain_key function.  does this mean there is a possibility that lowercase could cause errors?

Also is there a CLI function to restore a wallet from brain key?  I've found create account from brain key, but nothing for a wallet.
Afaik when creating STEALTH addresses there need to input a brain key. Don't know if it's the same though.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Xeldal

It didn't work for him.  :(  Has something changed since launch in the way wallets are created using custom brain keys?

he has shared with me the seed he used and I've tried everything I can think of.  It's all numbers and letters and does not contain any special characters.  It does contain a mix of upper and lower case letters.  I noticed the normalize_brain_key function.  does this mean there is a possibility that lowercase could cause errors?

Also is there a CLI function to restore a wallet from brain key?  I've found create account from brain key, but nothing for a wallet.

Xeldal

I just tried with brain key
   oj6Jahf6aM0wah0queMaebii4Ooteew8eis7tieJai3ieThoRo   
in the public testnet.. and it worked nicely. Try it yourself on http://testnet.bitshares.eu

right, I was able to do the same thing.  It was just weird that it didn't work the first 3 times.  Also discovered the pasting issue on OL and the occasional locking up on the lite-client.

I havn't heard back from the guy I was helping but it looks like he should be fine.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I just tried with brain key
   oj6Jahf6aM0wah0queMaebii4Ooteew8eis7tieJai3ieThoRo   
in the public testnet.. and it worked nicely. Try it yourself on http://testnet.bitshares.eu

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
do you use ascii characters or anything other than that?

in the wallet, the brain key is normalized which means, every whitespace is replaced by a simple space and spaces at the edge are (AFAIR) removed.
Any string should work just fine here ..

Not sure if it is an issue of the witness node to identify accounts from the generated public keys

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Strange.  I did the exact same process 3 times and it didn't work.  On the 4th time the account shows up.

Also I ran into an issue with pasting the brainkey into the field.  On OL webwallet its not possible to paste anything.  In the light wallet there is no right click paste available but Ctrl v works most of the time.  Some times it does not.  On the times it does not work, its also not possible to type anything in this box.
Maybe it's just a bit laggy..
Try more times? On a new computer?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Xeldal

Strange.  I did the exact same process 3 times and it didn't work.  On the 4th time the account shows up.

Also I ran into an issue with pasting the brainkey into the field.  On OL webwallet its not possible to paste anything.  In the light wallet there is no right click paste available but Ctrl v works most of the time.  Some times it does not.  On the times it does not work, its also not possible to type anything in this box. 

Xeldal

I have a friend who's created an account on OL launch day roughly 3 months ago.  He has a password and what he's calling a seed (brain-key).  It's a 50-60 character string that he created himself using lastpass.

He's not been able to recover his account.

I've attempted to replicate his process by creating a new wallet and generating my own custom brainkey, all one word with 50 random characters.  The wallet creates just fine so I create an account in this wallet, It registers on the blockchain.  I then delete this wallet and try to recover using the brain-key I used to create it.

I then create a new wallet using the same brain-key I generated the first time but after the wallet is created it does not contain the account I created before.

What am I missing?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Click on settings
Click on wallet management console
Click 'new wallet'
Below the aubmit botton, click 'custom brain key'
Provide brainkey and a new passphrase for you wallet
submit form

Done :)

Offline m200

Hello.

Can you give us a detailed guide (Step by Step) on how to recover funds using only brain keys?

I have many doubts on how to do this properly and want to test this process.

Thank you!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
... unless you have manually imported private keys .. those CANNOT be recovered from the brainkey!

38PTSWarrior

When I make a brainkey, can I then get lost in the jungle for 5 years, lose everything, and when I find the way out, get in the internet and have my balances?
you can get the balance stored in the brain key's derived accounts.. so .. yes
Derived accounts? So all I do is make a brain key and that's it? No downloading backup?