Author Topic: Worker Proposal to Level Up our Forums? (Poll)  (Read 2200 times)

Offline fuzzy

Isn't this similar to what the fellas behind DPOS Hub are envisioning?
I'm pretty sure they are still working on that idea, though not exactly sure the status, but probably best not to duplicate efforts here.

Or said another way, probably best to join efforts here...  ;)

Definitely has similarities.  Just like Beyond Bitcoin has similarities.  But they will both have their own niches..yet will rely on a common infrastructure that can be replicated for yet other similar platforms that come in the future.  The foundation that we all plug into is the most important part ...and being able to easily do that is what these forums would accomplish. It would be replicated (and possibly pay back to bitshares on a monthly basis to use it?)

I am not sure if everyone understands the entire picture here...and that is largely my fault for posting something while my eyes were half closed before passing out :-/

To summarize in as succinct manner as possible:
I'm talking about Beyond Bitcoin's Sharebot connecting up to BitSharestalk.org and DPoSHub (and many others in the future), which effectively makes our forums (or any bitshares-based forums, like DPoSHub) also on-ramps to both the transfer of bts (and its UIAs) to the "non-crypto" users on Facebook, Reddit, Mumble, Slack, Twitter and the potential for many more.  And that isn't even talking about referrals.

Trust me, I am always trying to find ways to add to our infrastructure that empowers alllll of us.  That's what I do!  :)

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
I'm pretty sure they are still working on that idea, though not exactly sure the status, but probably best not to duplicate efforts here.

We are still moving forward. We are trying to get DposHub up and running as quickly as possible, but we ran into major difficulties with the first group of programmers we hired.  I have 2 meetings today with programmers that are interested in helping us to pick up where the last ones left off, so things are looking positive.

We are working hard to bring this together. We have already spent a few thousand out of pocket, and don't plan on stopping. We were originally hoping to have some delegate pay, but nevertheless we have not been deterred. I wish I had more for you at this point, but all I can say is hold on just a little bit longer ;)
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
While I would love to see this happening I can't  stop thinking what if those 5 or 20k were used for development? I like the idea, but not at this point in time. We have other priorities right now where that money would be more useful I believe. We need a UI everyone likes for starters.

I think this would be a good idea when we have more volume and grow a little bigger, not something that - even though i would personally like - should be done now. Bitcointalk was a ripoff, no where on earth 500k were used to make those forums. 20k seems too expensive to have it exclusively to us. even for 5k, i cant help but think we have more important stuff to be done atm. We're not swimming in money atm... I think that could only be done if the whole cryptoscene was in a bubble and everyone had plenty of money.

You mention ethereum could do it, however they have money we don't have.

I strongly believe this would bring more people into our community and leave people impressed with our platforms, but not at this point in time. We need to have the basics done first, only then can we start thinking about this.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:52:50 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

I actually really like the forums as they are...simplicity goes a long way.

Did you read the proposal (now that i out the right one up...:-/)? Our forums are the central place where all our community organization is reflected.  These forums would implement bitshares' special abilities to enable voting on community leadership and many other amazing utilities that our simple forums severely lack. 
Doesnt bitshares deserve to have the most advanced crypto forums in existence? And if we dont, will someone like ethereum do it?
I personally think this is being severely underestimated...
The reason for this is that many guilds (decentralized communities) have realized that simple forums are ok...but not optimal for what they do.  Many of these communities have established the need to use forums with far greater functionality. 
Even social media integration alone would make our little walled garden reach the eyes of many many more people...and that is not even mentioning the voting for forum leadership and tipping features, would be VERY helpful in simplifying our self governance.

Our current forums dont represent the communication infrastructure that is optimal for the most advanced crypto in existence. I think they should.

Just my two bts. :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:00:17 pm by fuzzy »

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I actually really like the forums as they are...simplicity goes a long way.

Offline fuzzy

Wouldn't it make more sense to turn the forums into more of a BitShares social network rather than a forum?

The forum approach is fine for us but if the growth of BitShares depends on mass adoption then the ability to engage with the community is crucial.

We could use an open source system like BuddyPress.

I can setup a test site for no cost for a portion of the community to experiment with if there's support for the idea.

Without a real world user test there's no way to know if my idea is an improvement :)

It basically would connect our forums up to be a place where we can even propogate our forum content out onto all social media.

So say you made a post i think is great....so i share it on fb and other social media directly from the forum.  But as you can see in the whitepaper he linked, the forums would have far more capabil than simple content sharing.

I gave you all the wrong link last night...but if you guys check the proposal i think you will realize nothing like this exists currently.  Buddypress would be severely limiting. 
This forum would be the most advanced crypto currency forums out there.  And if we pay the 20k, bitshares could be the only crypto with something so powerful.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:48:44 pm by fuzzy »

Offline fuzzy

Hey fuzzy, the link you put in your OP... I don't get it. Did you make a mistake? It's just a post with someone asking how to become a committee member...

I must have mistakenly posted the wrong link. Sorry it was late.

Here is the correct link:  https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17388.msg221528.html#msg221528

Offline MarketingMonk

• Leading People to Freedom
    • View Profile
    • Cryptoversity - The online school for Bitcoin, cryptocurrencies and blockchains.
  • BitShares: marketing.monk
Wouldn't it make more sense to turn the forums into more of a BitShares social network rather than a forum?

The forum approach is fine for us but if the growth of BitShares depends on mass adoption then the ability to engage with the community is crucial.

We could use an open source system like BuddyPress.

I can setup a test site for no cost for a portion of the community to experiment with if there's support for the idea.

Without a real world user test there's no way to know if my idea is an improvement :)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Still 'NO' from me, at least.

PS
and the link still points to you asking for help on becoming committee, btw.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
Hey fuzzy, the link you put in your OP... I don't get it. Did you make a mistake? It's just a post with someone asking how to become a committee member...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

Would you support a worker proposal to have our forums upgraded to the following proposal
The cost to have it done is 5k, but the cost to have it done and own the code would be 20k.

If you read up on what these forums will be able to do, it will blow your mind to realize that BitcoinTalk forums were made for 500k.  I personally believe this is a steal and so I am bringing it to the community and advocating its approval.  Please vote and give your opinion or ask questions and I or freebieservers will respond/answer whenever possible.

Nope!!!!

Not for the link posted for sure...and probably not for any forum code costing 20K.

I am thinning down mackerel though, so you should not be too concerned about the vote-ability of this anyway.... :)

They said 5k for it to be implemented here and they keep the rights to implement it elsewhere.  Would it be worth that to you?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Would you support a worker proposal to have our forums upgraded to the following proposal
The cost to have it done is 5k, but the cost to have it done and own the code would be 20k.

If you read up on what these forums will be able to do, it will blow your mind to realize that BitcoinTalk forums were made for 500k.  I personally believe this is a steal and so I am bringing it to the community and advocating its approval.  Please vote and give your opinion or ask questions and I or freebieservers will respond/answer whenever possible.

Nope!!!!

Not for the link posted for sure...and probably not for any forum code costing 20K.

I am thinning down mackerel though, so you should not be too concerned about the vote-ability of this anyway.... :)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline fuzzy

Would you support a worker proposal to have our forums upgraded the following proposal

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:20:34 pm by fuzzy »