Author Topic: Please stop describing prices using BTS/USD, when you mean priced in USD  (Read 3763 times)

Xeldal

I notice our dex displays "bts:usd".  It should say "bts/usd" to be consistent with other trading platforms

I think we do this because having both USD/BTS and BTS/USD on the same market page is confusing.  so the : is used in the name and / is used in the price

If the price were simply listed in terms of the quote.  You could use the slash(\) in the market name without confusion.

Personally I don't think it matters at all whether its a slash or a colon.  I've seen it both ways. In both forex and other trading.  they mean the same thing.

Xeldal

All forex brokers list their currencies in fractional form (eg USD/JPY, USD/CAD, EUR/USD, EUR/GBP).

I believe since we are trying to look like an exchange, fractional form is the most appropriate way to list bts pairs (eg BTS/BTC, BTS/USD).

There are two different things here.  One is the name of the market.  The other is the price or quote from that market. 

ForEx currency pairs are listed  with the first currency being the base and the second being the quote.  Which is exactly what we already have.  This is the NAME of the market.

Getting a quote on ForEx for  USD/JPY  would be in JPY  (JPY/USD)
Where USD/JPY is the name of the market and the price is in JPY (or JPY/USD)

It is the same in bitshares already.
Getting a quote on USD:BTS would be in BTS (BTS/USD)

I tend to agree with OP that a quote of the price really only needs to identify the quote units.  You already know which market your in.

However if you were just looking at a list of various markets, you might identify the quote either by the market name (traditional forex base/quote) or its mathematical terms (quote/base) .  Either is ok, i guess, you just need to be clear and consistent.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Don't forex brokers use reverse notation compared to bitshares? I.e. BTS/USD means USD per BTS in forex terms and BTS per USD in bitshares?

Yes you are correct.  A EUR/USD quote of 1.06 would mean 1 euro = 1.06 usd.

So bitshares price of 330 should read 330 USD/BTS if we were to use standard forex terminology.

330 USD/BTS is in the USD/BTS, i.e. priced in BTS market
it would be
0.003030 BTS/USD in the BTS/USD market. Confused? Right. Because all the symbols. Much clearer to write:

330 BTS
0.003030 USD.

330 USD/BTS does NOT mean 330 USD per 1 BTS

330 USD/BTS is actually 330 = 1 USD/ 1 BTS.  The "=" is ommitted in currency pair quotes.

I notice our dex displays "bts:usd".  It should say "bts/usd" to be consistent with other trading platforms
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:19:54 pm by lil_jay890 »

Offline monsterer

Don't forex brokers use reverse notation compared to bitshares? I.e. BTS/USD means USD per BTS in forex terms and BTS per USD in bitshares?

So bitshares price of 330 should read 330 USD/BTS if we were to use standard forex terminology.

330 USD/BTS is in the USD/BTS, i.e. priced in BTS market
it would be
0.003030 BTS/USD in the BTS/USD market. Confused? Right. Because all the symbols. Much clearer to write:

330 BTS
0.003030 USD.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline monsterer

Forex and general bitcoin exchanges list markets like this:

base quote

sometimes

base / quote

For some reason, bitshares has

base : quote

but at least they're the same way around.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Basically, the formula is like this:

1 USD / 1 BTS = 330
Multiply both sides by 1 bts ---> 1 usd = 330*1bts

The confusion comes from the "equal" sign being omitted from the quote.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:02:50 pm by lil_jay890 »

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
All forex brokers list their currencies in fractional form (eg USD/JPY, USD/CAD, EUR/USD, EUR/GBP).

I believe since we are trying to look like an exchange, fractional form is the most appropriate way to list bts pairs (eg BTS/BTC, BTS/USD).

Offline monsterer

How providing a clear information on base and counter currencies makes you confused? It does not confuse me at all. It is the absolutely right thing to do.

Because you're listing two different currencies which the user has to then parse to figure out what the actual price is denominated in. This is not standard on any exchange I have seen.

Offline yvv

• View Profile
How providing a clear information on base and counter currencies makes you confused? It does not confuse me at all. It is the absolutely right thing to do.

Offline monsterer

The base and counter currencies should be clearly stated everywhere next to the price.

Absolutely not. That is very confusing. It is obvious what market you're in, all you need to know are amounts (with symbol) and prices (with symbol).

Offline yvv

• View Profile
The base and counter currencies should be clearly stated everywhere next to the price.

Offline monsterer

This has been bugging me for a while:

Indicating everywhere in the trade UI that prices are BTS/USD is incredibly confusing; that terminology isn't used on any exchange anywhere, and it confuses people. Having just USD will be so much easier to understand.

So, don't have this:

price : 20 USD/BTS, have this instead:
price 20 USD

That will cut down on clutter and be more inline with other exchanges.