Author Topic: (Poll) Should Sharedropping Projects have to Pay tx fees for the Sharedrop?  (Read 6742 times)

Offline fuzzy

dont have time to make anything but a quick response atm, but sharedropping can be done in other ways beyond distributing via % of coins held.  it can be done based on account (betty lui sharedropped 20 tokens on each btstalk account...or betty lui sharedropped on her email list)...etc.

then we have the guest ool style sharedrop you helped enable yourself! :)

their are, im sure, many more use cases...in fact i know of some others but atm dont have enough time to explain.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hybridd

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hybr1d
Sorry, I skimmed  this thread because I felt I should reply ASAP (will re-read in a bit, but I've gotta run an errand shortly so once I'm back)... let me try answering a few questions here:

What is share dropping?
The act of choosing a targeted asset like BROWNIE.PTS, determining who holds this asset and their %-holding, and then distributing them a quantity based on their %-holding of some other asset.

Where do the fees come from?
Right now to be safe we assume 45 BTS on every transfer transaction. Since a share drop sends the assets directly to the share-holders BTS2.0 accounts, this is a transfer transaction. Thus, fee = N-holders * 45

How could we reduce fees?
Modifying BTS 2.0 itself
BTS 2.0 lacks batch operations right now, for example if there was a multi-transfer that let issue a person execute one command that pays to several people for a reasonable fee, this would reduce the cost. For example, lets say multitransfer required you to send funds to at least 5 people and costed 10 BTS per person (min. 50 BTS fee).

via ShareBits
Some how implement logging in with a BTS 2.0 account? If ShareBits could perform the sharedrop without sending any real block chain transactions, no fees need to be incurred. This is what @Tuck Fheman  attempted to do with his first few share drops (but they assumed your BTS account was the same as your forum account).

I suppose another way if you could associate a BTS 2.0 account with your BTS talk account on ShareBits. Which could be done in two ways, either a different memo-code would be used for this... or we make the assumption that if a person funds an account that BTS account becomes auto-associated with the account they funded (not ideal, for a variety of reasons).

Edit:
Ok there's no way to word this without being confusing, so before I start when I say BTS 2.0 account on ShareBits basically what I mean is similar to when I say your BTS talk account on ShareBits or your Twitter account on ShareBits:
So, there would be no way to log into an authenticated session for a BTS 2.0 account on ShareBits (with Twitter there's open authentication, with BitsharesTalk there's the security code, etc. that's how you get into an authenticated session). However, what you would be able to do is merge your BTS 2.0 account on ShareBits with (for example) your BTS talk account on ShareBits thus giving you access to your BTS 2.0 account's balances (on ShareBits).

Merging would be done by first logging into an authenticated session (i.e. say your BitsharesTalk account) on ShareBits, then going under 'Accounts' and requesting a merge to a BTS 2.0 account. The requirement for this merge is that BTS 2.0 account must have been used within your last 5 deposits to your account you're trying to merge from.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:20:09 pm by hybridd »
http://sharebits.io - #sharebits "person" amount asset - Start tipping on bitsharestalk today!
Developer @ Freebie

Tuck Fheman

I think @Tuck Fheman has the right idea. Use tool we already have and be able to hit everyone you want to hit with some semblance of targeting effectively gets the job done.

I agree! ;)

@hybridd how about you?

You're already pulling all of the BTS account hodlers names from each UIA for your current method using Cryptofresh.

If you modify your existing code a little (my assumption) so that the sharedropper can sharedrop for free (basically tipping like we already do), Sharebits will make more in fees (A LOT MORE) by collecting on the withdrawals instead of charging the sharedropper.

I have no idea how to accomplish the last part of keeping the sharedrop in your system and notifying the BTS account holder when we don't know their forum account but I assume you can figure it out. ;)

A simple post saying, "Hey if you own XYX-UIA we are sharedropping to it on X day and you can withdraw (with your magic solution) when it's done!".  That's the best I've come up with in 5 minutes.

More fees for Sharebits, free sharedrops for the sharedropper and everyone's happy ... except fav.  :P

You guys are much smarter than me, so I'm sure you can come up with an elegant solution that will make you and your investors more profits by passing the fee to the withdrawer. ;)

Offline phillyguy

Has there ever been a share drop by an outside entity on the BTS community? Or just needless circle jerking?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

What we are talking about here is a Worker proposal to create a whole new function within bitshares.

Do we want to spend something like $4000 on something like this?

Before we get all crazy about it though, what is our target customer? When was the last time some other coin or organization came along wishing to sharedrop on all the BTS holders? Only ones I seem to recall recently choose to do it in such a way that they only got those that were interest or active in BTS.

By reducing the fee you are lowering the barrier to entry sure, but on the other side of it, the sharedroppers are still taking on a huge chunk of their value to distribute to many who may not respond, or just dump them into oblivion as has always happened in the past. It's not just the cost of doing a sharedrop that is prohibitive, it's the value return. Even at free it still would not solve the value issue.

I think @Tuck Fheman has the right idea. Use tool we already have and be able to hit everyone you want to hit with some semblance of targeting effectively gets the job done.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Tuck Fheman

- you won't get every bts id in a database like the forum.

Cryptofresh.com

- why would a sharedropper use a centralized method? remember: every sharedrop would go to sharebits, not the user. that's not what bitshares is about.

Because this way it's free, which was the issue being discussed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bet there are many more counter arguments

Come at me bro!

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
-snip-

wishful thinking. we have to talk about real sharedropping here

It's already been done, four times, successfully. No wishing involved. All that needs to be done is for Sharebits to modify the code they implemented after I did my 4 sharedrops on their system, thereby increasing the amount of fees they make and making sharedropping free.

No clue what you're missing here, but it's quite simple actually.

- you won't get every bts id in a database like the forum.
- why would a sharedropper use a centralized method? remember: every sharedrop would go to sharebits, not the user. that's not what bitshares is about.

I bet there are many more counter arguments

Tuck Fheman

-snip-

wishful thinking. we have to talk about real sharedropping here

It's already been done, four times, successfully. No wishing involved. All that needs to be done is for Sharebits to modify the code they implemented after I did my 4 sharedrops on their system, thereby increasing the amount of fees they make and making sharedropping free.

No clue what you're missing here, but it's quite simple actually.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

Tuck Fheman

We should make it free to sharedrop if we want to get any sharedrops.

and how would you prevent spam?

You can sharedrop for free and you can ignore the bot.

Problem solved!

The only remaining issue is solved by each individual account holder by registering their BTS account name here on the forum.

It would probably then be best to verify they are the proper account holder.

Point being ... all of this can already be done with a little help from the account hodlers.

@hybridd this may also make Sharebits more in fees by each individual account holder having to pay the 45 BTS to withdraw vs the current one time fee to the sharedropper. (hint) ;)

Example : The other day I ran the current sharedrop version you've implemented (up to the point of actually doing it) and it was going to charge me 890 BTS to sharedrop.  With just 100 people being sharedropped to the bot would make 4500 BTS in fees IF it was charging the fees to the withdrawers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:47:08 pm by Tuck Fheman »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

and how would you prevent spam?

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Tuck Fheman

If it's a UIA sharedropping on some other UIA or some part of the community (like the "top BTS holders"), then it should be full price.
If it's a sharedrop on the whole community (all BTS holders) then it should be much cheaper (just a spam prevention).
^ This

^ This

Offline EstefanTT

If it's a UIA sharedropping on some other UIA or some part of the community (like the "top BTS holders"), then it should be full price.
If it's a sharedrop on the whole community (all BTS holders) then it should be much cheaper (just a spam prevention).
^ This

^ This
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline DestBest

^ This
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone BitShares.
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares french gateway.
www.bitsharesfcx.com