Author Topic: [ANN] Bitshares E-sports Tournament [ANN]  (Read 16681 times)

jakub

Thanks, @Xypher

And what about this question:
Do I need to pay anything to enroll a team and become a participant? If so - how much?
What is your business model? Who funds the rewards?

And if CS:GO is so popular, I'm sure there are already online tournaments like yours.
What USP did you achieve by doing it with BitShares?

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
@Xypher , I'm happy you are doing this.
As I not not a big fan of these kind of things (i.e. I'm not your target), I can offer you a more objective feed-back.

Nowhere on your website (at least I did not find it after 2-3 minutes of browsing) do you say what this is all about.
What kind of tournament is this? What is e-sport? How do people compete? Do they play some kind of on-line game?

Bitshares CS:GO Tournament!
It says it on the first page.

CS:GO = CounterStrike Global Offensive
It is one of the biggest e-sports titles after League of Legends and Dota 2
It also has a huge betting and in-game item economy

here is my favourite clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6TQy6pGfs to get an idea how it looks like  :P

OK, so here is your chance to target people who don't know what CS:GO is and why it is so much fun to play it.
Unless it's your marketing decision to ignore this target.

Hey Jakub,
Thank you for your input.

Few things to bring to your notice,
Firstly, our goal with the tournament was to bring more users into an ecosystem by having them experience the core product  without even having them know what they are doing. People don't really know how the servers behind facebook work, but the guys there have done a wonderful job putting together a system that makes any average joe interact with the system and share thoughts, opinions, memories, memes - all kinds of stuff without ever knowing the technical side of things. What, we noticed early on, we were doing wrong was the fact that we have been trying too hard to sell the technology to the average user, and then spending time whining about the GUI. Ofcourse we can't expect CNX to solve all our problems and each one of us have to contribute towards making this eco system more welcoming to the average user.  So, in a way this is us working towards that. This is the first of many integrations we intend to do into the ecosystem we have been striving towards creating over the past year.

To break down what we are doing in terms of integrations :

1. We took steampowered.com  - the gaming world's largest marketplace logins and used it to make Bitshares wallets. So basically any user can now have a Bts wallet ready to send, receive funds in a matter of five seconds. No fancy keys involved, no passwords - just a click to authorize like the one gmail offers and you have a BTS wallet ready to function.

2. We cut out a lot of junk from the BTS wallet and made it more gamer oriented. This meant stripping away the junk that the  dex offered. We believe it should be as simple and intuitive  a system we could build.

To put in perspective the devs have worked towards making Bitshares the first community to have a steam-powered wallet, specific for gamers

Now to, answer your question : why isn't there an explanation on the tournament ?
Well, the tournament was aimed at gamers and most gamers know de-facto what model the tournament will pan out and the basic rules.
I didn't really expect to attract a crypto-enthusiast to come join us for the tournament. Now that, I see you are interested, I'll try and make changes to make it more welcoming for you too.

I see a number of people interested in taking part for the tournament. To be honest, due to resource constraints - we are looking at hosting all of 16 teams. Depending on sponsorship and resource availability this might go up to 32/64  but that's completely dependent on how much we manage to raise. So far, FMV has been our key sponsor. If we can crowdfund / find more backing, we'd be glad to do this once every quarter or so.

I also find that a number of people would like to buy CS:GO and begin playing it. I'll arrange for a means for you guys to buy it and play it.
Maybe we could find faster consensus by loading our rifles and shooting each while screaming expletives other in a game :)

I think its important the community here sees the importance of what we are building.
Do take a look at https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20736.0.html for more information on E-sports and why Crypto's will play a major role in it in the coming  5 years.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:50:12 pm by Xypher »

jakub

As I not not a big fan of these kind of things (i.e. I'm not your target), I can offer you a more objective feed-back.

Nowhere on your website (at least I did not find it after 2-3 minutes of browsing) do you say what this is all about.
What kind of tournament is this? What is e-sport? How do people compete? Do they play some kind of on-line game?

here is my favourite clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6TQy6pGfs to get an idea how it looks like  :P

OK, so here is your chance to target people who don't know what CS:GO is and why it is so much fun to play it.
Unless it's your marketing decision to ignore this target.

Offline JA

• View Profile

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:12:18 pm by jabbajabbaつ◕_◕つ »

jakub

All I could figure out is this:
- there are some teams involved,
- there are prizes denominated in BTS to be won,
- there will be moderators preventing the participants from cheating.

But what kind of game will be played - I still don't know.
And I don't know if I need to pay anything to become a participant.

Please, take this feed-back the right way.
I know I could find out all these answers if I paid more attention and read the forum thread. So it's just me being lazy.
But we all know that most people are lazy. So please consider structuring the information on your website in such a way that after 20 seconds I fully understand what this is all about.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:50:00 am by jakub »

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Just a head's up, we are pushing the tournament further by a week/2 max.
This is to help on-coming sponsors integrate better with what we do and provide more time for on-boarding partners.
This means brands/individuals can still buy in and advertise with us as we put things together.

I have sent out e-mails to a number of individuals explaining the opportunity here. Looking forward to hearing back from them.

Regards

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
What would donations go towards?  I'd gladly donate to a crowd fund to increase the grand prize payout. 

Am I wrong in assuming that that would be the best way to get more attention for this tourney?

Hey,

Thank you for the interest.
From what I have learned, no, a direct size of pool increase will not increase attention.
It will have to be invested into

>Twitch advertisements (streamers talking of us)
>Forum advertisements
>Team sponsorships (primarily for social media coverage).

The pools size does matter, but the funds can be split and further invested into this.
Maybe 50 percent could go into the pool and 50 towards marketing.
There are expenses in terms of human resource and infrastructure too.
We're talking of monitoring over 200 matches and keeping them hack free for a fair tournament, which is a pain in itself.
That said, if you'd like to contribute solely to the pool - just add it in, as a memo when you send the donation.

P.s - Lots of eyes on my username. Hope it doesn't matter :)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
What would donations go towards?  I'd gladly donate to a crowd fund to increase the grand prize payout. 

Am I wrong in assuming that that would be the best way to get more attention for this tourney?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kuro112

1st -  I really like THAT!
2nd - I would attend if it were not CS but R6Siege.
3rd -  IMHO prize should be bitUSD not BTS.
4th -  Don't think the date is well chosen, because of holidays.
5th -  Not sure if betting in any kind without permission is legal in germany, so I'm not able to advertise this directly.

However keep it up!  +5%

to address some of these:

2) r6s is popular as an emergent game but nowhere near as established as cs:go, as such were aiming at the more target-rich environment.

3) the prize being in bitusd would only confuse the hell out of our users and they would have no idea what to do with it

4)we specifically chose the date because of the holidays, the demographic were targeting is out of school for these dates and generally is not old enough to drink.

5) there is no betting involved in this tournament.

Nice! just curious .. Xypher renamed from freebieserver before, right?

yep he decided to use his real user name as the whole team is here now ^^
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:15:54 pm by kuro112 »
CTO @ Freebie, LLC

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Sadly, we have had zero donations come so far and that's a little sad :)
It's long ago that I gave up on hoping for donations too.
Since then my life is much happier. ^^

My inner capitalist is right around the block with a contingency plan :)

Offline btswolf

It's long ago that I gave up on hoping for donations too.
Since then my life is much happier. ^^

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
5th -  Not sure if betting in any kind without permission is legal in germany, so I'm not able to advertise this directly.

However keep it up!  +5%

Thanks for the input.
You could always assist us via a donation.

Yes.

Offline JA

• View Profile
lem here looking for a team  :P

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline btswolf

However keep it up!  +5%