Author Topic: Do we have any folks from India here, or who can speak fluent Hindi?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
By most estimates, about 10% of India's population speaks English. Even though that number seems small, it's a huge quantity of people. Probably most of the folks who are well-educated and affluent enough to use computers and trade/exchange online would be included in that 10%. So Hindi translation would certainly be "nice to have" but perhaps less than essential.

There's only one demographic that would want this in their local lingo.
Farmers doing commodities trading.
That is a far fetched concept for 2020 maybe. Maybe.
I recommend you to read Fortune at the bottom of the pyramid to know what am talking of.

-Xypher
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:41:10 am by Xypher »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
By most estimates, about 10% of India's population speaks English. Even though that number seems small, it's a huge quantity of people. Probably most of the folks who are well-educated and affluent enough to use computers and trade/exchange online would be included in that 10%. So Hindi translation would certainly be "nice to have" but perhaps less than essential.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
The bitshares mobile wallet i designed is all open source and uses reactjs to flip languages on the fly. So all users download a multilingual version of 1 app. Options are essential for mass adoption.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Oh....India speaks English big time ......

That's why India developers are popular in western software firms.

Excerpts from my message to Kencode, sharing for public reference.

"1. Hindi is not India's major language nor national language. There are 22 languages and 1600 dialects. Google lets you translate into all of them, but that's for later.
2. Most Indian apps (flipkart, Paytm, Freecharge being major ones)  - all come in English. This is because India has the largest population of English speaking individuals anywhere in the world. This means, your demographic expects you to release this app in English. Releasing it in Hindi means limiting yourself in terms of users and confusing potential users.
3. India is a very ethnocentric nation. Your app will be considered to be more legitimate if its launched in English, in comparison with a local language. "

This matches up with my experience with developers I work with that are based in India. What I wasn't sure about is if there was a more common written form like Mandarin is in China.

Thanks to the Britishers, India largely relies on English to bring together its vastly divided population.
While "Hindi" is largely spoken and understood, one  needs to realize most people are not fluent in reading / understanding the language in depth.
In addition, since Android (deepest penetration in Indian markets atm) - offers Indic language support , it will be easy to do this via an API once you strike user adoption in the region.

Regards

Offline Riverhead

"1. Hindi is not India's major language nor national language. There are 22 languages and 1600 dialects. Google lets you translate into all of them, but that's for later.
2. Most Indian apps (flipkart, Paytm, Freecharge being major ones)  - all come in English. This is because India has the largest population of English speaking individuals anywhere in the world. This means, your demographic expects you to release this app in English. Releasing it in Hindi means limiting yourself in terms of users and confusing potential users.
3. India is a very ethnocentric nation. Your app will be considered to be more legitimate if its launched in English, in comparison with a local language. "

This matches up with my experience with developers I work with that are based in India. What I wasn't sure about is if there was a more common written form like Mandarin is in China.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
What's the going rate for this type of work? I know the people to get this done but I'd want to pay them. I'm willing to cover the cost but have no frame of reference.

Well, yvv and harvey did the Turkish and Chinese translations today for free. Of course they are investors in the BitShares ecosystem too. Our translation sucked but now it rocks thanx to them.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Riverhead

What's the going rate for this type of work? I know the people to get this done but I'd want to pay them. I'm willing to cover the cost but have no frame of reference.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
The BitShares Wallet for android/iphones (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20762.0/all.html) will be released in 22 languages but we still have not got the Hindi for the apps properly translated yet.

Here is the Hindi that still needs to be translated. Please contact me with any questions or help me get the english text translated into Hindi if you can, we really need your help so that we can get these apps wrapped up!

Scroll to the right to see the Hindi column:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bUN9N6uIBEloXtWZNXJQ-xG6NaT57FA4sHOvkqRyGE8/edit?usp=sharing
Please and Thank You :)
  ken
www.PalmPay.chat