Author Topic: Why I like Ethereum [BLOG POST]  (Read 12129 times)

Offline VoR0220

Just came to clarify that I have NOT been hired by Gavin. We are just talking  :)

If I could spend all the time in the world working on cryptocurrency...well I would be a happy camper. As it stands there is only a limited amount of time in the day...and I have a wife and child to go and take care of and spend time with. Hopefully I could work on both projects in the future. But first thing's first, I gotta get this down.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Just now read the article and wanted to make a comment. Particularly in regards to what you'd do differently. Doing all of this in memory kind of defeats the purpose of having stored data. It adds speed, that is true, but there are problems in regards to having truly decentralized applications and to have them be verifiable. On the other hand, the way Bitshares operates it would likely not be an issue mainly due to the way that the consensus algo operates. As for the merkle tri-graph, I would like to hear why it is redundant. It is very much expensive, that is true, but if you want a truly decentralized and trustless application, it is somewhat necessary. But again, I can see why you'd do it this way due to the Bitshares algo as the goal in the algo is not to be trustless, just to be decentralized. There are tradeoffs to everything. In any case. Hope all is well.
Wish you still have passion and time to do something for BTS.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline fuzzy

I like that Bytemaster posted this prior to the ETH rally.

bytemaster is honest. perfect? no. but honest with both himself and others.  one reason im still here :)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I like that Bytemaster posted this prior to the ETH rally.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Just now read the article and wanted to make a comment. Particularly in regards to what you'd do differently. Doing all of this in memory kind of defeats the purpose of having stored data. It adds speed, that is true, but there are problems in regards to having truly decentralized applications and to have them be verifiable. On the other hand, the way Bitshares operates it would likely not be an issue mainly due to the way that the consensus algo operates. As for the merkle tri-graph, I would like to hear why it is redundant. It is very much expensive, that is true, but if you want a truly decentralized and trustless application, it is somewhat necessary. But again, I can see why you'd do it this way due to the Bitshares algo as the goal in the algo is not to be trustless, just to be decentralized. There are tradeoffs to everything. In any case. Hope all is well.

btw, everyone please congratulate vor as he was hired by gavin to continue his work on solidity. :)

Is this a Possibility for BITSHARES?!
I am holding onto BTS because I believe that along with Ethereum, it is going to be the only other cryptocurrency 2.0 project to make a difference...and I actually see the model of DPOS melding quite well into the new Ethereum Serenity model if I understand it correctly.
Hopefully..

Offline topcandle

btw, everyone please congratulate vor as he was hired by gavin to continue his work on solidity. :)

Is this a Possibility for BITSHARES?!
I am holding onto BTS because I believe that along with Ethereum, it is going to be the only other cryptocurrency 2.0 project to make a difference...and I actually see the model of DPOS melding quite well into the new Ethereum Serenity model if I understand it correctly.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Awesome .. congratulations!!

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline VoR0220

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Overall this is a great idea, specially EVM becoming an standard as it was mentioned and the capability to interop across different chains. Bitshares provides already a great BitAsset interface / Exchange etc. This will be like running Java in different OS.

Ill have to say I am the first to say it is hard to add functionality to BitShares, as it was mentioned on the blog post it is hard to sandbox yourself to test extra functionality. It is simpler to test your models in Ethereum BUT I am also the first one to say that if you need extra performance you can move to Graphene.

I look forward to this and is never too late. Yes Toast / Rune / Ryan are great candidates to do this.

Anyone considering creating a worker proposal for it?
I'm afraid worker proposal can not afford it. :-X

TravelsAsia

Overall this is a great idea, specially EVM becoming an standard as it was mentioned and the capability to interop across different chains. Bitshares provides already a great BitAsset interface / Exchange etc. This will be like running Java in different OS.

Ill have to say I am the first to say it is hard to add functionality to BitShares, as it was mentioned on the blog post it is hard to sandbox yourself to test extra functionality. It is simpler to test your models in Ethereum BUT I am also the first one to say that if you need extra performance you can move to Graphene.

I look forward to this and is never too late. Yes Toast / Rune / Ryan are great candidates to do this.

Anyone considering creating a worker proposal for it?

Offline twitter

• View Profile
it is a big issue...  EVM mode can bring in tone of developers... but  Graphene does not has this kind of capability  :'(

witness:

Offline betax

• View Profile

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
+5% +5% +5%, great, good idea, i like it, just do it!
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline twitter

• View Profile
witness: