Author Topic: Let`s kickstart the Stock derivatives Market  (Read 8400 times)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
OP: Why not create at least one asset by yourself, just like what bitcrab did? It's just 5000 BTS of fee. If you don't like to own the asset, just update the owner to committee-account so the committee will be able to deal with the following matters when needed.
Witnesses would need efforts/fund to maintain price feeding for your asset. Best if you can fund @xeroc to implement a price feed script first.

Let's do it? Just do it.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
You can use bitusd to collateralize stocks.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Yeah, lets add another zero volume bit-something, the 100-1000 users of bitshares will be ecstactic  :'(
How do you know which bit-something will have zero volume?
Let the market decide. If only 1 of 100 new assets will become a success, that`s still a success story.

Chances are it will have little/no volume, but the top 10 stocks and indices are something BitShares will at some point add anyway, given that we have so few witnesses, I don't see the harm in adding them now.

They are the things it is hard to trade without signing up for a spread trading account, so could be popular & a good USP that would at least differentiate BTS from the competition.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
The same way USD markets is iliquid is the same way those will be. Collateral needed to create the asset is too much otherwise people would create them more often. You can buy those assets but then you most likely won't be able to sell them any time soon and people prefer not having their funds trapped in an illiquid market.

It will happen the exact same thing as in USD, CNY, EUR, markets
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yvv

• View Profile
What is needed to bring Stock derivatives online?

You would need at least $50k worth of stocks in you possession to back you up, and ability to buy and sell them on exchanges promptly. You would need to collateralise your derivatives at 200% in bitshares. Do you have these funds?

Offline bitacer

What is needed to bring Stock derivatives online?
If I understand it correct the Committee could bring in a lot of MPAs that reflect the price of real Stocks, ETFs etc?
What is holding us back in creating those assets?

I would love to diversify my portfolio by mixing it with many more kinds of investments.
We could be the first Exchange to trade really anything.

This would bring us a lot of attention and thus more users and liquidity.
We should bring ever week a couple of new assets.
every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?

+5%

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
I'm a little bit skeptical if users really want stocks at this time. It would be a unique offering but I haven't seen much interest in that. Maybe MAKER will bring better incentives so somebody has a good reason to really invest in marketing?
Sure, we all are skeptical of something and it`s not the first time that people don`t see demand for a new business...
EDIT: https://www4.dailyfx.com/forex/education/trading_tips/daily_trading_lesson/2014/01/24/FX_Market_Size.html
If $5.3 trillion per day is not enough demand then I don`t know.

Yeah, forex is big, but I meant stock markets. This forum has had some interested in stock markets, but not really that much. Nobody has so far done anything to ramp up stock-MPA's as real products with properly done marketing.

I have just seen so many times how people get overly excited when they have an idea and a few friends tell them it's a good one. Better to do a proper marketing research first to find out how much demand there really is.

There are smartcoins for SHANGHAI and HANGSENG. They are marked as inactive so I don't know how to actually start using them or is it even possible. Maybe it's enough if somebody just starts to offer a price feed for them? If that's the case, there you have two indexes for free.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
I'd posted a proposal along this line here
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20855.msg269513.html#msg269513

I am willing to get a hedge fund set in an offshore location and assist with bringing the stock markets to the DEX.
Been already conversing with a few graduates from a prominent western uni in regards to the possibilities involved with this.

Regards
X

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Yeah, lets add another zero volume bit-something, the 100-1000 users of bitshares will be ecstactic  :'(

What is there to lose?

What could we win from this, ESPECIALLY if the Chinese Community could get a CNY bridge going, and OpenLedger a EUR/USD/GBP one?
Plus some articles on yahoo finance etc, as we had before?

This is huge, traders are more sophisticated than average joe, the only downside of course is that the technology isn't proven yet (bitshares, that is), and for many this would be big bucks. Also, without privacy, I doubt many would use it.

Since registering extra accounts and transfering stealth assets to various such accounts will prove to be too complicated for even an experienced trader who's not too familiar with blockchain technology, as far as I can see this would have to be addressed as well, somehow.. though from my limited understanding of how stealth/confidential will work, there is no good way to do this without requiring constant backups as new stealth funds are transfered..

Offline btswolf

How do you know which bit-something will have zero volume?
Let the market decide. If only 1 of 100 new assets will become a success, that`s still a success story.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I, for one, would gladly invest monthly into ETFs.

Have you guys seen the comissions brokers charge ? If word gets out that you can do the same on a blockchain for cents per order...

Waiting eagerly for Bit{CNY,EUR,SGD,CHF,USD,NZD,AUS,RUB}/{SP500,NASDAQ,SHANGHAI,HANGSENG,...}.

Do it.

chryspano

Offline btswolf

I'm a little bit skeptical if users really want stocks at this time. It would be a unique offering but I haven't seen much interest in that. Maybe MAKER will bring better incentives so somebody has a good reason to really invest in marketing?
Sure, we all are skeptical of something and it`s not the first time that people don`t see demand for a new business...
EDIT: https://www4.dailyfx.com/forex/education/trading_tips/daily_trading_lesson/2014/01/24/FX_Market_Size.html
If $5.3 trillion per day is not enough demand then I don`t know.

I think that a basket currency could be a better choice now. It's easier to sell people who are afraid of financial crisis. If we have a crisis, people want to dump all their stocks. But a basket currency could be marketed as a global crisis-resistant currency.
there is no better choice. We need all opportunities.
Stock Derivatives don`t exclude the possibility for basket currencys or indices or whatever.
Each financial instrument got it`s own fans and users.
but "every" new user no matter his likings will help us growing.

Right now we are in the stage short before the crypto-economy goes boom.
But the great market cleansing will come, sooner than you`d expect it.
And every crypto that is not competitive at the given time will fall back quickly and becomes dust in crypto history.
Again the key is growing now, not in 12 months.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:33:44 pm by btswolf »

Offline btswolf

We should focus on only one BTS/BITASSET market.  Probably CNY or USD.  Then we should have market making in the CNY/USD market where the risks are lower.
I believe this is the way forward.
This statement from BM was related to the MAKER proposal.
Whats wrong with doing both, focusing the MAKER on CNY/USD and start the stock market in parallel.
I don't see why we should focus on only one market in general or do you want to wait until there is a MAKERBOT for each asset available?
If you don`t like to trade stocks you don`t have to, but I don`t see why we should prevent others to try it out.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

I think that a basket currency could be a better choice now. It's easier to sell people who are afraid of financial crisis. If we have a crisis, people want to dump all their stocks. But a basket currency could be marketed as a global crisis-resistant currency.