Author Topic: [Worker Proposals] Documentation and Technical Support + Python Dev and Apps  (Read 20679 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
I do trust BM. He is the sole reason I am here and love where I am!
The reason I asked him to not voice his opinion was to not give the
shareholders the impression that Daniel dictates who should be worker
and who should not. I very much appreciate the trust he puts into me but
would have preferred the ecosystem to disconnect from its father
eventually. It may need some more months until we are there.

While I find this reasoning to be very virtuous, I don't think we are in a situation where Bytemaster's voting can be ignored. He is the lead developer so people will either use him as a proxy or check how he votes and base their voting on that. If Bytemaster isn't voting for something, people can get impression that it's not worth of DAC's resources to fund that worker.

Also, you shouldn't take too seriously the arguments from antidevelopment/antibytemaster crowd. If they were right, Bitshares should be performing much better now when Bytemaster is not controlling anymore most of the witnesses and committee – but that's not clearly the case.  And if new people see that lead dev is not taking actively part in the decision making, they might think that he is not commited to the project anymore.

So please @bytemaster could you vote for xeroc?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@xeroc - you should get paid.

What is more you should get pad not at 50% rate but at 100%!

You should not ask BM to not vote for you if he does find your work bringing more value than your pay. My guess is - he does.

You should not ask alt to not vote against your worker - he has a perfectly valid argument too. Start up shares do not end up being sold the second an employee gets his paycheck.

So where all this fails? I think, in You assuming that BTS has a system to finance itself! When in reality it doesn't. It has a very good tool, to archive such start up financing though. What is missing from it (the extra step needed for this to be true financing of a start up) - the long term capital willing to hodl BTS for at least 2-3 years, while paying you the full deserved salary.

How can we do that (my thoughts, there might be better plans)?
- directly locking the worker pay(probably using 1.3-1.5 bigger pay than what they do pay you) for 2-3 years for willing investors; while those investors pay you directly.
- selling an asset backed/receiving said 1.3-1.5x locked BTS; while you receive the proceeds (in bitEUR or BTS) from the asset sale.
Thanks for the kind and open words .. much appreciated.

Another idea to work this out would be:

- let the committee create an asset that works as an option to get pays x*1.03^y USD after y years (e.g. USD-OPTION-2015)
- pay x USD options to the workers
- fund the options by asking for .10% trading fees on bitassets
- put revenue from trading as a buy order for the options into the dex

just an idea. Since I am not an economist .. it might be flawed

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
That"s the problem, someone like XEROC with his skills and overall knowledge of the platform should be able to be a full-time worker. There should be at least a core group of developers supported by the platform who can put in time needed and not worry about losing their pay for things unrelated to their overall performance.
I would LOVE to work on bitshares full time, but i made the compromise (two compromises actually) .. to only work half-time at rather low rate and bet big on its success

A lot of people trust BM and for good reason.  He's the inventor of BTS and if anyone wants it to succeed it is him.  People see that and set BM as their proxy.  By saying you don't want BM to vote for you is like saying none of his other supporters (and probably your supporters) shouldn't vote for you either... I don't see the logic in your request to not have BM or any of his proxies vote for you.  Your basically asking for everyone who is anti dilution to change there minds and vote for you.
I do trust BM. He is the sole reason I am here and love where I am!
The reason I asked him to not voice his opinion was to not give the
shareholders the impression that Daniel dictates who should be worker
and who should not. I very much appreciate the trust he puts into me but
would have preferred the ecosystem to disconnect from its father
eventually. It may need some more months until we are there.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
@xeroc - you should get paid.

What is more you should get pad not at 50% rate but at 100%!

You should not ask BM to not vote for you if he does find your work bringing more value than your pay. My guess is - he does.

You should not ask alt to not vote against your worker - he has a perfectly valid argument too. Start up shares do not end up being sold the second an employee gets his paycheck.

So where all this fails? I think, in You assuming that BTS has a system to finance itself! When in reality it doesn't. It has a very good tool, to archive such start up financing though. What is missing from it (the extra step needed for this to be true financing of a start up) - the long term capital willing to hodl BTS for at least 2-3 years, while paying you the full deserved salary.

How can we do that (my thoughts, there might be better plans)?
- directly locking the worker pay(probably using 1.3-1.5 bigger pay than what they do pay you) for 2-3 years for willing investors; while those investors pay you directly.
- selling an asset backed/receiving said 1.3-1.5x locked BTS; while you receive the proceeds (in bitEUR or BTS) from the asset sale.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:09:06 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Congrats on getting a job.

I don't quite get why you are posting all this stuff though... As far as I can tell all your workers got voted in and you set the pay.  If you wanted more pay, why didn't you ask for more?  You kind of sound like the guy who quits or gets fired and says "That company is screwed without me, I'm irreplaceable!" . Life does go on and so will bitshares.  Whether your working for it or not.

You certainly got a wrong impression.

The issue was (and kind of still is) .. that my worker wouldn't make it if Bytemaster didn't vote for it (I actually asked him NOT to vote for it, but it seems it is to late) ..
The problem here is that I have deliberately not searched for a regular job because my impression was that my work here is appreciated and could be funded for longer ..
Only due to the anti-dilution discussion and the decisions of one individual, this worker would not have been approved .. which  is a big issue not only for me!

The reasons I didn't want BM to vote for my workers is very simple: BitShares deserves to be more independent from CNX and it is very unfortunate that it currently can't be because of this one proxy!

Anyway, if the subsequent workers are approved .. I of course will put the promised time into BitShares .. the other "job" is also just a freelancing just for about 20h/week (at most) .. and I do have quite some things on my list to do .. not just coding and docs

A lot of people trust BM and for good reason.  He's the inventor of BTS and if anyone wants it to succeed it is him.  People see that and set BM as their proxy.  By saying you don't want BM to vote for you is like saying none of his other supporters (and probably your supporters) shouldn't vote for you either... I don't see the logic in your request to not have BM or any of his proxies vote for you.  Your basically asking for everyone who is anti dilution to change there minds and vote for you.

Offline Pheonike

That"s the problem, someone like XEROC with his skills and overall knowledge of the platform should be able to be a full-time worker. There should be at least a core group of developers supported by the platform who can put in time needed and not worry about losing their pay for things unrelated to their overall performance.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
While I wish the best for @xeroc and actually have no doubt that his skills are demanded more than enough to keep him comfortably working in one job or another, we're all here because we want to see Bitshares succeed.  That outcome is NOT served well if we cannot retain his talents, which means my sizable investment here is more at risk than it should be, and I'm sure others feel the same way.  Why do you not seem concerned about this?  Can I ask, do you have a stake in BTS beyond the 126,000 BTS in your abit account?
As you can see, I have another 154,000 BTS in my in.abit account, and counting. ;) Relax dude. I do concern, but it's useless to say that here. I did vote with all my stakes for xeroc. Xeroc has right to work elsewhere, he is not a slave of BitShares.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

I don't quite get why you are posting all this stuff though... As far as I can tell all your workers got voted in and you set the pay.  If you wanted more pay, why didn't you ask for more?  You kind of sound like the guy who quits or gets fired and says "That company is screwed without me, I'm irreplaceable!" . Life does go on and so will bitshares.  Whether your working for it or not.

The issue was (and kind of still is) .. that my worker wouldn't make it if Bytemaster didn't vote for it (I actually asked him NOT to vote for it, but it seems it is to late) ..
The problem here is that I have deliberately not searched for a regular job because my impression was that my work here is appreciated and could be funded for longer ..
Only due to the anti-dilution discussion and the decisions of one individual, this worker would not have been approved .. which  is a big issue not only for me!

The reasons I didn't want BM to vote for my workers is very simple: BitShares deserves to be more independent from CNX and it is very unfortunate that it currently can't be because of this one proxy!

Anyway, if the subsequent workers are approved .. I of course will put the promised time into BitShares .. the other "job" is also just a freelancing just for about 20h/week (at most) .. and I do have quite some things on my list to do .. not just coding and docs

i would just say 1 big whale against the other, so you need bytemasters vote, because all the no voters are united, but not the yes voters.

Offline Tuck Fheman

As it turns out, I am in a fortunate position that I don't need to work
for 25€/h for BitShares any longer but can take the jobs that pay me
$50/h somewhere else.

Congrats! 

I wish things were different around here and the deserving were funded properly.  :-\
Lucksacks.com - The Largest Cryptocurrency Freeroll Poker Site in the World!

Offline roadscape

Happy to hear you've found an income stream, but I really hope your workers get voted in and I hope this experience doesn't dissuade you from doing more public work going forward.. we need your help!

The work you've done is invaluable, and it's sad that some fail to see beyond this partisan issue. The worker model is not perfect but it's the best we have, and @xeroc has already made compromises in regards to pay & terms, in addition to going well beyond his obligations.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
As it turns out, I am in a fortunate position that I don't need to work
for 25€/h for BitShares any longer but can take the jobs that pay me
$50/h somewhere else.

However, for BitShares shareholders (and they certainly have
speculated on a different outcome), I can no longer offer my services
for you for free any longer as I am freelancing in the blockchain
space and need to eat.

Since worker proposals can neither be deleted nor modified after
creation, you are still in a lucky position because I promised to work
for the conditions of these workers shall they be approved.

From the shareholder's point of view, this is your chance to get me work
for BitShares at this low rate. Take it or leave it.

As for my current worker, I see my obligations as fulfilled as I have
put way more than 20h/w for the last two months. Once the older worker
terminates, I will no longer be available for technical support or
documentation unless someone can pay for it.

To @alt and those that have set him as proxy: It is unfortunate that
none of you, nor @alt has joined any discussion to make this happen and
since you obviously don't appreciate the work I have put into BitShares
for free for the last 2 years, I see no reason to help you reach your
ROI while I am left behind.
If you've already found a new job, I just want to say: congratulations! And great thanks for the work and efforts you've ever done for BitShares.

You don't sound too concerned with this situation.  What is your problem?
I don't think I have any problem. I'm just happy that xeroc has stable income now. Isn't it a good thing?

While I wish the best for @xeroc and actually have no doubt that his skills are demanded more than enough to keep him comfortably working in one job or another, we're all here because we want to see Bitshares succeed.  That outcome is NOT served well if we cannot retain his talents, which means my sizable investment here is more at risk than it should be, and I'm sure others feel the same way.  Why do you not seem concerned about this?  Can I ask, do you have a stake in BTS beyond the 126,000 BTS in your abit account?

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Thanks

That "stable income" is however not going to bring much value to BitShares ..

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks

That "stable income" is however not going to bring much value to BitShares ..