Author Topic: Newsletter - Special Leap Year Edition  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I'm not sure if newsletter is really a worth of effort. I would rather see new blog posts coming regularly than a newsletter with lots of text and then again a long silence. Also imitating a physical paper magazine seems a little bit antique at these days.

…go ahead and post then .. i can say it least from the mailchimp stats that during the time of nullstreet journal users were open these most .. so from this point of view ...
the outreach was max. during the time before 2.0 ..

I'm still planning on a newsletter.

We reach about 1000 nominally interested people who wouldn't see a forum post. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if newsletter is really a worth of effort. I would rather see new blog posts coming regularly than a newsletter with lots of text and then again a long silence. Also imitating a physical paper magazine seems a little bit antique at these days.

…go ahead and post then .. i can say it least from the mailchimp stats that during the time of nullstreet journal users were open these most .. so from this point of view ...
the outreach was max. during the time before 2.0 ..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

Offline Thom

Kewl. I was just looking for conversion tools and reading up on pandoc. The issue will be in going the other direction. I was not able to find markdown export / conversion tools to get markdown out of my default editor (LibreOffice / MS Word docx).

However perhaps I can help anyways, at least with core content. Being a native English speaker / writer I'm sure I can help with the grammar / punctuation and wording. A nicely formatted newsletter of the quality created by cass & cryptoPrometheus in the past is indeed a big task, but if cass is willing to handle the graphics / layout I am willing to help where I can.

What would you say the main thrust of this edition will be? A tremendous number of things have occurred since the last newsletter was done long before 2.0 went live.

What is your opinion of percentage of content between technical news and business development changes? On the later, what about a review of Stan's "Summer of Announcements" and highlight those that worked out well like relationship with ccedk / OpenLedger? Since Ronny has inspired this effort that relationship might serve as a good centerpiece to build content around. That might also be a good outreach tool for those outside our inner community here on the forum.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So, who is working on this? where can I send my article(s)?
Going to write them in markdown .. hope that is ok ..

I'd offer to help with the editing, but I'm not a fan of md. I believe xeroc's contributions have more value than my editing preferences. Not sure if there are conversion tools for md and other more popular formats, but if so perhaps I can help.
I can put them into pandoc and give you any format you like.

Thanks for helping out!!

Offline Thom

I'd offer to help with the editing, but I'm not a fan of md. I believe xeroc's contributions have more value than my editing preferences. Not sure if there are conversion tools for md and other more popular formats, but if so perhaps I can help.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I have already written some articles and plan to do some more (8 in total) .. Don't think I can make all of them until 29th :(

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
tbh i don't know who is working on it .. i will help on design .. but not on editing side ... it's not on my subject ..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
I would contribute, and potentially help, but yeah the current deadline is too soon for me to be of much use.

So yes, I vote for pushing out the deadline, even though the leap day would be an amusing release date. ;)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
If people ask for more time, we can delay the release.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Having something done with 5 days notice is more costly than having it done within a month, even if the amount of work is the same. If we give people 2 weeks notice to write, and leave 1 week for editing, I think most people will take the time to write something, and more people will be willing to take time to help edit as well e.g. 3 people around a google doc.

Offline DMo09

• View Profile
Maybe this could be a bi-annual journal that costs $2 or 3? My guess is there would be at least a few hundred copies purchased...

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
ok so as the interest seems really low ..idk if this would make sense to create next Nullstreet Journal!
@CryptoPrometheus maybe u could write about your concerns here ...as it seems people are not knowing what time consuming project this was in past ..

Pity ...

A regular newsletter would be awesome.

When cass and I published the monthly Nullstreet journal, it took us a combined 30+ man hours for each issue. At the peak, we had something like 25 separate entries. Getting people to write these updates on a regular basis was no easy task.

Not to say that people were not willing - in fact most were happy to tell the world about what they were doing. But nevertheless, I sent out approx 150 personal emails and PMs each month. Just announcing a newsletter was never enough. I would estimate that maybe 1/4 of the entries were from people that were proactive. But more often, I had to send multiple follow-ups before I was able to get the content.

What's more, most entries needed editing as well as proofreading, which was a time consuming process that included sending the draft back to the original author for approval. Then, there was formatting, layout and writing the introduction.

This whole effort was what led me to propose the creation of the DPOSHub platform, which  I hoped would cut out the middleman, so to speak. Unfortunately, Jonathan and I discovered after spending about $3k out of pocket, that the vision of DPOSHub would require a significantly larger investment.

Which brings me to an important point - if you want a professional job then it usually takes a lot of hard work and organization. Most people do not do this type of thing without getting paid. I was happy to do this for a few months, I volunteered and I gave it my best effort. I am happy with the results we achieved, and I have no complaints. However, at this stage I am no longer in the position to take on this task as a volunteer.
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
this is just a heads up of 4-5 days. for most i think it is not possible to do something meaningful in this timeframe.
I agree .. we also cant add anything about the liquidity event taking place the same day .. lets try anyway