Author Topic: too many bts in centralized exchanges. Danger!  (Read 10692 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Please consider withdrawing your bts from external exchanges if you do not intend to sell them.. More than 30% of BTS are in the top two exchanges. This is very dangerous and if something goes wrong with any of these exchanges you can kiss goodbye your bts investment forever.

If you do not sell your bts, why not just held them in your wallet and be the king to your castle?

If we offer yield during the bootstrapping phase, it will encourage many people to move their BTS off the centralized exchanges and onto the DEX and many good things will result.  If you think that is important, I hope you will get behind @Empirical1.2's idea.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21597.msg284481.html#msg284481

What would stop the centralised exchanges from distributing its earned yields to their bts users, if they choose to do so?

We could offer yield to non exchange accounts to attract people to the dex
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

TravelsAsia

Easier to use interface is needed before we start seeing people pull coins off centralized exchanges. Market makers on the dex along with the interface for the win.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

If you do not sell your bts, why not just held them in your wallet and be the king to your castle?

If you want to sell your bts, why not to do it on DEX?

Because unfortunately there is no liquidity on the DEX..So I can understand why people want to trade on centralized exchanges.

I don't understand why they prefer to keep them there idle instead of their wallet and only transfer amounts they want to sell or (margin trade long/short). Maybe this is happening with bitcoin as well..I don't know since I never had any bitcoins..But I would think that bitcoiners only send their bitcoins to exchanges to trade for a couple of hours/days before they turn to fiat and vice versa. Do they actually leave their bitcoins idle on external exchanges? If that is the case then..I have nothing to say more on that..if that is the case then we deserve as humans to lose our funds from exchanges that get hacked, the same way banks steal depositors funds when they bail in etc etc..

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Please consider withdrawing your bts from external exchanges if you do not intend to sell them.. More than 30% of BTS are in the top two exchanges. This is very dangerous and if something goes wrong with any of these exchanges you can kiss goodbye your bts investment forever.

If we offer yield during the bootstrapping phase, it will encourage many people to move their BTS off the centralized exchanges and onto the DEX and many good things will result.  If you think that is important, I hope you will get behind @Empirical1.2's idea.

What would stop the centralised exchanges from distributing its earned yields to their bts users, if they choose to do so?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Danger to those holding them there, for others it could have a nice deflationary effect

When they get dumped on the market by whoever has access to them?
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline yvv

• View Profile

If you want to sell your bts, why not to do it on DEX?

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
A good amount should be from traders, which don't really care about bts so...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

Many POS/DPOS coins have POS rewards which encourage people to keep their coins in their respective wallets and off the exchanges earning the reward in what is a fairly circular cost.

The 2% dilution to BitAsset yield proposal is a form of POS rewards which shareholders can earn by removing their BTS from exchanges and yield harvesting BitAssets. https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21597.0.html

Therefore besides many other positive benefits listed in the OP, that proposal would rapidly remove a lot of BTS from centralized exchanges for a fairly circular and very low by POS staking standards, cost and so help make BTS more secure.

(It's hard to be a DEX when as you say you are extremely exposed to CEX risk)
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile