Author Topic: So what is everyone's thoughts on the Bitshares platform & ecosystem now?  (Read 31329 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
It's the reasoning for CNX leaving that is dumb... They say there is no money available for development because of the anit-dilution (chinese) crowd.  Yet CNX hasn't even put forth a proposal for anything (MAS, Bonds, Rate Limited Transactions).

What is even dumber is how BM has basically screwed everyone who has ever followed his vision by making them jump from investment to investment.  Buy PTS, Donate AGS, Buy BTSX, Buy BTS, Buy Brownies, Buy Steem.  That's 6 different investments just to try to keep up with Dan's latest squeeze. Then you have Stan spouting off in the cryptofresh video about how people are going to wish they bought bts back when it was under a cent, all while preparing to fork bts and create steem with no bts sharedrop.  BM is like one of those TV preachers that keep asking for more and more money while guaranteeing they will take you to the promise land if you give.

In all honesty though,  BTS being out of CNX's control and focus is probably a good thing.  After all the promises and announcements that did nothing to increase the market cap of BTS, having a new group of leaders might be what BTS needs.

Don't forget DNS in the list.  DNS was live but not actively advertised.  It is my opinion that it is another thing that Dan didn't really have interest in, so he found a way to 'move on' before he even started.

Crowdfunding is all about having fun and doing stuff you want to do. The vetting of those people is minimal.  Some are the next Steve Jobs on a small scale.. and others... we'll find out...

Even Brownie.PTS are a bit LOL. His newest project he claims the reason they have to premine etc is for legality. I <3 whoever bought up BROWNIEs.  Maybe someone else will use them, but it makes more sense to just hand out your own version of brownies if that is the objective.

Really the only consistency I can see in the project is a rate in the volume of excuses put forth.

How vocal should one be about how they feel?  There are many hard working people and those who still have a large investment. I don't want to cause them to lose money or be unmotivated,  but on the other hand you feel like you have to point this out for people who have been half asleep the past couple years, along with those new.

I personally have been hoping BitShares comes up with another set of developers but it seems like China doesn't really produce many developers or people who wish to pay developers.  :P
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

Also abit is no longer working on the transaction thing because Jakub disappeared and he has no access to the funds.

To be clear, the Rate Limited Free Transaction feature has no relationship with Jakub. It's still possible to have that feature after the community taken over BitShares Github repository (or a fork or whatever the major exchanges and bridges would accept).

The BSIP10 thing which Jakub involved is paused though.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
It's the reasoning for CNX leaving that is dumb... They say there is no money available for development because of the anit-dilution (chinese) crowd.  Yet CNX hasn't even put forth a proposal for anything (MAS, Bonds, Rate Limited Transactions).

This is what I dislike as well.

Isn't @abit working on Rate Limited Transactions?   And if I remember correctly, @bytemaster did propose a bond market in some detail.  But if you were paying attention, you would know the anti-dilutionists are not interested in funding new features.  Given that, do you really think MAS would have a remote chance of getting funded?

I don't understand the people who keep saying bytemaster is "moving on".  Fact is, he said he's not going anywhere.  He still owns a large stake in BTS and will continue to support it, make sure it keeps running smoothly, be a resource for businesses building atop BTS, etc. 

But beyond that, there's no way for him to do any meaningful development work on BTS at this time.  The mandate at this point is for feature stability.  So cut the crap, people.  Especially you, @lil_jay890, you little nattering nabob of negativity.  How depressing it must be to go through life being you. 

If you don't like what I post then put me on ignore or don't follow.  I doubt you will quit following though.  But I do find it pretty ironic that you, @tbone, who constantly cuts down other forum members is saying how depressing it must be for me to go through life.  You seem like one of those people that needs to put others down in order to validate yourself.  Whatever though...

If you listened to the mumble and read posts by CNX members, they said it is impossible to get funding yet they have never even introduced one proposal other than the stealth thing (which ironically doesn't work).  The reasoning is bullshit.  All they do is dance around the question when asked or give some stupid reason like it takes too many resources to write a proposal.  News Flash,  who the hell is going to write a proposal if the creators of the system don't find it worth while??!

Bitshares is far from a feature freeze point.  It doesn't even have all the things that were originally promised when 2.0 was announced last June.  People would be willing to pay for a bond market or maker taker, but there is nothing to vote on.  Then they go and fork (with no sharedrop) their own chain and blame it on the shareholders for being stingy.

Also abit is no longer working on the transaction thing because Jakub disappeared and he has no access to the funds.

There are good people here who do care about and do good work for bitshares. Stan and BM consistently say they will do whats best for bitshares but the actions that CNX has taken have been contrary to that.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2

Isn't @abit working on Rate Limited Transactions?   And if I remember correctly, @bytemaster did propose a bond market in some detail.  But if you were paying attention, you would know the anti-dilutionists are not interested in funding new features.  Given that, do you really think MAS would have a remote chance of getting funded?

I don't understand the people who keep saying bytemaster is "moving on".  Fact is, he said he's not going anywhere.  He still owns a large stake in BTS and will continue to support it, make sure it keeps running smoothly, be a resource for businesses building atop BTS, etc. 

But beyond that, there's no way for him to do any meaningful development work on BTS at this time.  The mandate at this point is for feature stability.  So cut the crap, people.  Especially you, @lil_jay890, you little nattering nabob of negativity.  How depressing it must be to go through life being you. 

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

The point is, if people think that BM moving on will destroy bts, then it was already destroyed.  The main point is for bts to decentralised  and self governing. If one person or group leaving the project can destroyed it, it had already failed. BTS has the tools it needs to carry on. Being able to survive without its creator is the hallmark of any successful project or species.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BTS is a great platform, credit to BM & others for the pivotal role they played in it's creation.

Provided we stay competitive and don't let our community and investment dollars be leached into other projects, I think BTS will ultimately go from strength to strength especially once the expensive merger vesting period is over.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
CNX is not "leaving."
BM is not "moving on"

We are weaning BitShares to stand on its own feet as we have always said we would do.

CNX and BM will still do whatever we are able to make BitShares successful. 

BM is working (at his own expense) on what he feels is the best use of his time toward his overarching objectives of which BitShares is still the flagship project.

I continue to spend full time on BTS business development (at my own expense).
I just don't talk about what's in the pipeline any more because 90% of all leads don't pan out on schedule.

...but there IS that other 10%.  :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:09:57 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Mike Hearn killed the bitcoin too... right?

Completely different levels. By the time Mike made his statements, Bitcoin had been #1 crypto for a long time. Also there's a handful of other big names in the project.

I hope to be wrong, but at this stage, Bitshares without BM would be like Linux without Linus, or OpenBSD without Theo De Raadt, or ( ;D) Nazi Germany without Hitler.

While I 100% agree that eventually the Bitshares/BM dependency had to be cut, my concern as a shareholder is that this seclusion was very premature.

bitimaru

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Pheonike

The point is, if people think that BM moving on will destroy bts, then it was already destroyed.  The main point is for bts to decentralised  and self governing. If one person or group leaving the project can destroyed it, it had already failed. BTS has the tools it needs to carry on. Being able to survive without its creator is the hallmark of any successful project or species.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

What is even dumber is how BM has basically screwed everyone who has ever followed his vision by making them jump from investment to investment.  Buy PTS, Donate AGS, Buy BTSX, Buy BTS, Buy Brownies, Buy Steem.  That's 6 different investments just to try to keep up with Dan's latest squeeze.  Then you have Stan spouting off in the cryptofresh video about how people are going to wish they bought bts back when it was under a cent, all while preparing to fork bts and create steem with no bts sharedrop.  BM is like one of those TV preachers that keep asking for more and more money while guaranteeing they will take you to the promise land if you give.

In all honesty though,  BTS being out of CNX's control and focus is probably a good thing.  After all the promises and announcements that did nothing to increase the market cap of BTS, having a new group of leaders might be what BTS needs.

bitimaru

So someone correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but the main person with the vision, leadership and core expertise for this project just went away to work on a glorious new vision.. if I grokked it correctly, because he believes this new steamy thing has a better chance of materialising his visions.

Does that not a) leave this project without ideological leadership and b) discredit the project in favor of the new shiny one?

Well, I tried to figure that out too.
What I've conclude tho is the opposite.
Renewed leadership  is what Bitshares needed. IMHO Its 50x times better to have a fresh leader than a half-assed one.
This community is full of  god-level contributors...

Chineses leaving the boat and BM being honest with what currently passionate him and move on with it is what BTS really needed to grow straight.
AND Its not like if Vitalik would have left ETH before releasing metropolis. 'BTS core' is already working. The core expertise is not so much solicited now-a-day... (to my understanding)

Honestly, what I want to see now is the new leadership taking place and expand their goal and and new projection to us.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:44:22 pm by bitimaru »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
So someone correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but the main person with the vision, leadership and core expertise for this project just went away to work on a glorious new vision.. if I grokked it correctly, because he believes this new steamy thing has a better chance of materialising his visions.

Does that not a) leave this project without ideological leadership and b) discredit the project in favor of the new shiny one?

That's like saying Elon Musk working on Space-X invalidates his Tesla vision. There's a lot of B2B, GUI and marketing work left to be done in BitShares, but that's not necesserily something BM can do better than the other guys around here. BM's expertise is his role as a visionary engineer and creative problem-solver. Long term it's also a good thing that more funds is being used to research and develop Graphene technology, it's easy to copy and paste improvements and new solutions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:29:28 pm by CLains »

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Bytemaster has been saying for months that:

BitShares needs to stabilize and stop "innovating".
Sidechains are the proper way to expand.
He will continue to innovate (it's what he does).
He will be there when BitShares needs him.

Funny, no one mentions the other bombshell today... hint:  it ends in "3.0".

Bytemaster makes babies and leaves it to others to raise them.
That's because he is the best choice for the first and the worst choice for the second.

We all benefit when BM makes babies because we find out about them first and we know their daddy well.

He will make us many babies if he is free to innovate. 
What do you think his talent will be worth if chained to maintaining a stabilized BitShares?

BitShares is in the hands of mere mortal entrepreneurs like you and me now.
And we are exactly what it needs at this point in time.

:)

Exactly how many more people besides BM can take over development of major new features in a way consistent with the current codebase?

In other words, who else really groks the code?

thereverseflash looks to be pretty effective

Perhaps we could have a bidding war to lure him over to Bitshares?

Since he's BM it would be hard I guess ;)

I hope he will not issue updated flash-colored-brownies2 IUAs and will stay with the first version of it!