Author Topic: Move Bitsharestalk to Steemit?  (Read 16907 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Steem's unlimited range of topics appeals to an infinitely wider audience than BitSharesTalk and thus has the benefit of bringing new eyeballs to anything about BitShares posted there.

This includes new DEX users who have picked up a head of Steem and now want to know what other cool things you can do with it.

Kind of like Plutonium.

It's fortunate that those with intractably bitter attitudes want to stay here on BitSharesTalk where no one will see their posts and only positive, optimistic people want to move their constructive, forward thinking opinions into the bright, puffy cloud of Steem where snide comments quickly sink into oblivion.  So it's a really beautiful, self-reinforcing Darwinian selection process. 

No need to formally make such a group decision.  It will sort itself out.

:)

It is very much true that shady people who have one consistent trait of not following through with what they say they're going to do would prefer a site where they and their cohorts can bury any messages pointing this out.

Edit - It shows a lack of integrity to not speak of one's truth beliefs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:56:43 am by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Behind every successful entrepreneur is the heaping pile of naysayers she chose to ignore.

I don't believe this quote holds the same truth when it's a community entrepreneur.  Consensus and majority are important safeguards.

With regards to Steem, if it is indeed a better place for BTS discussions, then surely it will attract a better following.

The fair play here is to have both exist, and let users gravitate towards to more functional, more popular version.  People inherently will want to follow both.  The winning platform will be self evident in the next 6 months..

The last thing that should be done is to forceably funnel people where you want them.

Also, the historical posts here are vastly important. Are all of them going to be re-imported into steem?

Well, bringing in valuable content from anywhere is allowed.  Whether it's worth your time depends on what value you are perceived to be adding. 

I can imagine curating my top 2400 posts, and commenting on how insightful they are, would be highly lucrative...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Steemit rewards contribution....of course bitsharestalk should move.

Unfortunately the time value of good contributors forum posts is far in excess of what it would ever make sense to financially reward. So it's not much of a USP.

You could have already observed this via Brownies for participation. While it initially attracts some interest it rapidly plateaus and doesn't add value or network effect to the underlying unit/platform/forum or incentivize good contributors. This is because there are plethora of factors that attract users to engage/identify/contribute content.

Imo due to launch/distribution and other factors such as the 'social + media' being really a core/fundamental weakness of the founders it's a poor, to put it mildly, foundation for this. What it does have going for it, is that talented developers like BM and others are probably going to be based there in the near term so your ideas have a greater chance of manifesting/contributing to developments which could positively affect your investment. (As I think it's a poor investment, I don't see the value in that personally, but others might.) 

So it's a really beautiful, self-reinforcing Darwinian selection process. No need to formally make such a decision.  It will sort itself out.

+5%

With great respect, I really don't know how you can be so definitive about the prospects of value continuing to be available to contributors on the Steemit network. Surely the relationship between contribution and reward (let's not forget, rewards do not only come in the form of Steem) will be the result of complex growth/innovation dynamics. Nobody is guaranteeing anything. But we can work hard and hope can't we? No-one has cracked mass adoption.....social media is a great start. The naysayers evaluation is as valid as the next person's but the future is unknown to everyone. I find solace in the technology, the effort and those many that share a solidarity of effort and optimism.

+5% you make a lot of good points including the fact that social media is potentially a great route to mass adoption.

Regards my personal evaluation, yeah it's pretty definitive, but it's a very fast moving industry so things can change. While the future is largely unknown, we do know >92% of tech start-ups fail within a couple of years, so as positive as anyone may be about any new venture, it's unnecessary to tie the fate of BTS via moving/merging to it at this nascent stage imo. I agree with Stan that it if it's superior, it doesn't need a formal decision/move and that it will occur naturally.

On reflection I do agree with you and Stan. There is no need to cease one for the other.....people will be drawn to where they find what they need. I am grateful for the discussion though. It has been a chance to engage our community in ideas and motivations. Also, as you rightly point out, there may be a high chance of failure (depending on how you determine it) but there have been some formidable successes within BitShares. Not least in the trials-by-fire that both developers and entrepreneurs and community members have been through and learned from. I believe the possibilities of success Are potentially higher for later projects as a result.  If those can incorporate or work in tandem with the existing technology that has been built, then all the better. I truely hope you will try Steem Empirical, just because if it does work out, I hope you get the value you huge contribution already deserves. You and many many others. We would already have nothing without the perseverance, dedication and ideas that have come from here. It's not the platform the matters, it's the people on it.

Crypto4ever is absolutely right that all historical posts must be preserved in perpetuity.

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
Behind every successful entrepreneur is the heaping pile of naysayers she chose to ignore.

I don't believe this quote holds the same truth when it's a community entrepreneur.  Consensus and majority are important safeguards.

With regards to Steem, if it is indeed a better place for BTS discussions, then surely it will attract a better following.

The fair play here is to have both exist, and let users gravitate towards to more functional, more popular version.  People inherently will want to follow both.  The winning platform will be self evident in the next 6 months..

The last thing that should be done is to forceably funnel people where you want them.

Also, the historical posts here are vastly important. Are all of them going to be re-imported into steem?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:27:19 pm by crypto4ever »

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

Unfortunately the time value of good contributors forum posts is far in excess of what it would ever make sense to financially reward. So it's not much of a USP.

You could have already observed this via Brownies for participation. While it initially attracts some interest it rapidly plateaus and doesn't add value or network effect to the underlying unit/platform/forum or incentivize good contributors. This is because there are plethora of factors that attract users to engage/identify/contribute content.

Imo due to launch/distribution and other factors such as the 'social + media' being really a core/fundamental weakness of the founders it's a poor, to put it mildly, foundation for this. What it does have going for it, is that talented developers like BM and others are probably going to be based there in the near term so your ideas have a greater chance of manifesting/contributing to developments which could positively affect your investment. (As I think it's a poor investment, I don't see the value in that personally, but others might.) 

So it's a really beautiful, self-reinforcing Darwinian selection process. No need to formally make such a decision.  It will sort itself out.

+5%

With great respect, I really don't know how you can be so definitive about the prospects of value continuing to be available to contributors on the Steemit network. Surely the relationship between contribution and reward (let's not forget, rewards do not only come in the form of Steem) will be the result of complex growth/innovation dynamics. Nobody is guaranteeing anything. But we can work hard and hope can't we? No-one has cracked mass adoption.....social media is a great start. The naysayers evaluation is as valid as the next person's but the future is unknown to everyone. I find solace in the technology, the effort and those many that share a solidarity of effort and optimism.

+5% you make a lot of good points including the fact that social media is potentially a great route to mass adoption.

Regards my personal evaluation, yeah it's pretty definitive, but it's a very fast moving industry so things can change. While the future is largely unknown, we do know >92% of tech start-ups fail within a couple of years, so as positive as anyone may be about any new venture, it's unnecessary to tie the fate of BTS via moving/merging to it at this nascent stage imo. I agree with Stan that it if it's superior, it doesn't need a formal decision/move and that it will occur naturally. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:21:50 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Very good Stan. I sense a return of the old you....and very welcome it is.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
What would we do without the Knights who say "Nay!" ?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:54:47 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

+5%

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

+5%
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Indeed Stan.

I guess I'm encouraging those still reading the BitShares forum who may be a victim of the misrepresentation that routinely takes place here. I hope as many 'salmon' make it to the spawning ground as possible. After all, times have been very challenging and good people, supporters of the vision to dicier life, liberty and property for all, have become understandably disenfranchised.... I hope we can win them back and succeed where we have perhaps failed them in the past.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Steem's unlimited range of topics appeals to an infinitely wider audience than BitSharesTalk and thus has the benefit of bringing new eyeballs to anything about BitShares posted there.

This includes new DEX users who have picked up a head of Steem and now want to know what other cool things you can do with it.

Kind of like Plutonium.

It's fortunate that those with intractably bitter attitudes want to stay here on BitSharesTalk where no one will see their posts and only positive, optimistic people want to move their constructive, forward thinking opinions into the bright, puffy cloud of Steem where snide comments quickly sink into oblivion.  So it's a really beautiful, self-reinforcing Darwinian selection process. 

No need to formally make such a group decision.  It will sort itself out.

:)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:01:41 pm by Stan »

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Whatsmore.....the constant divisive commentary is obviously detrimental to the interests of BitShares, openledger, Steemit and other connected  projects which are being driven by the most productive elements of these communities.

I have no doubt that there is a miasma of nefarious agendas in play. It is for individuals to evaluate for themselves..... I would argue for a willingness to accept the mistakes of the past as genuine, work with their consequences and adapt.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
well , you're making an assumption that the premined STEEM could feed them forever and they will work on STEEM forever .....

clearly it won't be the case looking back at history .

i disagree.....I am stating a fact that should be of interest to anyone who would like to gain value by being productive. You are making an assumption based on your interpretation of the past and the future....yet presenting it as fact.

I have concluded that the contributors to the BitShares forum would benefit from making use of the opportunities available within the Steemit network.

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I honestly can't take STEEM seriously as a long term project. And I don't understand why the economics behind it would appeal to anyone.
So no, I don't think we should move everything over to STEEM.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
well , you're making an assumption that the premined STEEM could feed them forever and they will work on STEEM forever .....

clearly it won't be the case looking back at history .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.