Author Topic: BitShares administrative and maintenance tasks  (Read 10602 times)

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline testz

Welcome back Vikram and Agent86!  +5%  :)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Vikram <3

Happy to see you back and working with The Agent :D

Offline vikram

After discussion, we have decided to proceed with a worker proposal as described in this thread. Requesting that fellow stakeholders please review: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23495.msg300188.html#msg300188

Offline vikram

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! It's great to see so many familiar names and the enthusiasm among the community.

Lance and I have both mostly been out of the loop for some time and the feedback is very helpful.

You might want to also try posting on SteemIt and introducing your project there. Many of the old Bitshares community members reside there more often than here. Regards.

Yes we will look into getting set up on Steem.

fixing all the little warts, polishing edges, properly tagging and announcing releases, and more generally maintaining the administrative part of the project that makes it easier for the rest of the ecosystem to consume the software.

Yes this is what I was thinking. Although these tasks are relatively simple, having someone consistently handle them can help prevent friction for others to contribute or integrate.

Historically, it has been difficult to get workers approved.  It may be easier to break apart tasks into smaller, specific worker proposals instead of one general proposal.

However, as BlockTrades.us had a worker for the maintenance work but still left some fund unspent after months, I guess we don't have much high priority work here to be done (or perhaps not to be funded by worker proposals). Please be aware that your worker proposal will be evaluated by all stake holders, not only the ones who replied here (and don't be surprised if it didn't be voted in quickly).

Consider potentially looking at the current list of fixes and creating a roadmap for each one along with potentially some minor feature enhancements. This would go a long way towards providing a long term benefit of your worker and keeping it voted in in tandem with releases.

I agree with abit - we have little need for maintenance right now. The software has proven to be very stable.

What we need is people who are capable of tackling specific projects. There are several threads here in the forum where improvements are being discussed. Most of the stuff is frontend-related, but there's backend work to be done, too.

Thanks guys this is all good to know. The way I structured the tasks in the OP was just an initial idea; Lance and I will continue to discuss possible paths based on your thoughts. In particular I see that @abit, @pc, @svk, and @xeroc are amongst those who are still active on the GitHub repositories so I especially want to see what you guys are thinking. And I want to emphasize that we don't want to step on anyone's toes or do anything that is against stakeholder wishes or interest.

Since you've started a new company, I guess you have a real business plan, not only to work for BitShares, right? Could you share more info?

@Agent86 has started another thread here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23478.msg300083.html#msg300083 to start a discussion a bit more focused on Soledger as a company. Keep in mind we are very young still and appreciate any and all feedback especially from this community.

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
I suggest soledger to do a VC's referrer .
If soledger got a VC,then we vote for a worker.Because ,I know the VC will need your "BitShares administrative and maintenance tasks".So,we will get win-win,So good Soledger.

A great video http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/y2pu_QuBSNE/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:01:47 pm by ebit »
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

iHashFury

Welcome back!

Could I also suggest a maintenance schedule for hard forks:

every 1 year on a fixed date (if required) for bitshares
every 6 months for the test net

This should help structure further development and allow all shareholders and exchanges to know when major updates will happen.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Welcome back Vikram and Agent86! Good to have you on board again! Looking forward to your worker proposal! + 5%!

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Welcome again! I want stealth features... stealth transactions.

Me too! BitShares Munich should have most of Stealth ready for public tests around Christmas. I post weekly updates on telegram Bitshares channel, my steemit blog (https://steemit.com/@kenCode), my github (https://github.com/kenCode-de), and here on the forum:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22576.0.html
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline ag

• View Profile
Welcome again! I want stealth features... stealth transactions.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I was going to +5 % , then I saw "Agent86"   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Good to see you again, Vikram!

I agree with abit - we have little need for maintenance right now. The software has proven to be very stable.

What we need is people who are capable of tackling specific projects. There are several threads here in the forum where improvements are being discussed. Most of the stuff is frontend-related, but there's backend work to be done, too.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

holy s*** Vikram is back!

great to hear this! I have to say that as much as Dan was the brains behind the project, you were the engineer behind it, and you made witnesses' lives much easier by fixing all the little warts, polishing edges, properly tagging and announcing releases, and more generally maintaining the administrative part of the project that makes it easier for the rest of the ecosystem to consume the software.

Your presence in BitShares 2.0 was missed (by me at least, but I don't think I'm the only one) and for example the general feel of the cli_wallet in bts 2.0 is a lot less polished than what it was at the end of 0.9.x due to that.

So if you want to come back and fix all these little things to make a great product even greater and manage the project to that end, then I guess that you clearly have my support!

^^ This... So long as the proposal is well laid out you can expect bunkerchainlabs-com proxy support. Consider potentially looking at the current list of fixes and creating a roadmap for each one along with potentially some minor feature enhancements. This would go a long way towards providing a long term benefit of your worker and keeping it voted in in tandem with releases.

If there is anything we can do to help out feel free to contact us. I know how difficult it can be as a startup.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Welcome back.

However, as BlockTrades.us had a worker for the maintenance work but still left some fund unspent after months, I guess we don't have much high priority work here to be done (or perhaps not to be funded by worker proposals). Please be aware that your worker proposal will be evaluated by all stake holders, not only the ones who replied here (and don't be surprised if it didn't be voted in quickly). Since you've started a new company, I guess you have a real business plan, not only to work for BitShares, right? Could you share more info?

The community need (1)more whale promotion(2)more public robot tools

I think @alt is working on the second one.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
Welcome back.

However, as BlockTrades.us had a worker for the maintenance work but still left some fund unspent after months, I guess we don't have much high priority work here to be done (or perhaps not to be funded by worker proposals). Please be aware that your worker proposal will be evaluated by all stake holders, not only the ones who replied here (and don't be surprised if it didn't be voted in quickly). Since you've started a new company, I guess you have a real business plan, not only to work for BitShares, right? Could you share more info?

The community need (1)more whale promotion(2)more public robot tools
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter