Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] sahkan-bitshares  (Read 18544 times)

Offline paliboy

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
August Witness Update

Hope everyone is having a good time with all the latest happenings. Quick update for this month:
Witness - The datacenter updated rack/core/switch software for the witness server.

Full node/web wallet/API server: Runs at 38GB RAM

Over last few days I have been running different configurations test on the BTS testnet, today I have ordered another VPS server to run a full time witness or seed node on the testnet, it should be up and running by Saturday.

Last month @robrigo claimed the 1K BTS giveaway. So here is another chance for everyone else in August (Paying for a brewski and some fries!):
Rules:
1. You have voted for my witness: sahkan-bitshares and kept your vote through at least 9 September 2017.
2. Giveaway runs through 9 SEP 2017
3. Be one of my first 10 supporters to post below: "I'LL TAKE THE 100BTS!" and PM me your BTS account name. (This time 10 unique users x 100BTS)
4. I will send your BTS sometime before 9 SEP.
5. If you are using a Proxy and the Proxy is voting on my witness you are eligible! If you got some BTS in previous giveaways you are not eligible for this one.
5. :) Good Luck!

Have a great BitShares day!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:29:27 pm by sahkan »

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Poloniex doesn't need to run a full node. They should run node with these values configured:

Code: [Select]
track-account = "1.2.20067"
partial-operations = true

Then it will require around 2GB of RAM.

By the way, if you configured your node with "max-ops-per-account" correctly (then it won't be a "full node" any more), it should use around 4GB of RAM but not more than 20GB, so perhaps there is something wrong with your config file. Please note that the new parameters should be added above the first logging section, but not at the end of config.ini file.
Indeed, I added it at the end of the config.ini. But I want to run a full node on my wallet so I will just remove it.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Poloniex doesn't need to run a full node. They should run node with these values configured:

track-account = "1.2.20067"

Then it will require around 2GB of RAM.

By the way, if you configured your node with "max-ops-per-account" correctly (then it won't be a "full node" any more), it should use around 4GB of RAM but not more than 20GB, so perhaps there is something wrong with your config file. Please note that the new parameters should be added above the first logging section, but not at the end of config.ini file.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:30:46 pm by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline robrigo

July Witness Update

Witness performace:

As a reminder from @abit to reduce RAM usage for witness nodes, set these parameters in config.ini (since version 2.0.170531)
track-account = "1.2.1"
The witness RAM requirements are now under 2GB RAM.

Full Node:

The node was completely updated over the weekend. Additional parameters in config.ini (since version 2.0.170606) set to:

[code]partial-operations = true
max-ops-per-account = 1000

In the Peerplays telegram channel few days ago JB mentioned that Poloniex complained about the memory usage on their BitShares Full Node. I am not sure if this continues to be an issue (I would think that they should be able to afford a decent server to run BTS) but once again they are displaying their " BTS is currently under maintenance or experiencing wallet/network issues. Deposits and withdrawals will remain disabled until a solution is found, which may require an update from the BTS team. Any updates must be tested and audited before enabling." banner. As you can see from my snapshot above the Full Node runs at about 27.4GB RAM. As we continue to grow and with the latest mods to decrease the memory usage on witnesses, the Full nodes will have to do the heavy lifting for the infrastructure.

Haven't stopped into the referral system so far. With your own faucet you become the default registrar/referer for account create/upgrade, if there's no LTM account (or enough funds?) present in the wallets that uses your node to interface with the blockchain?
For the moment I have not switched to my own faucet. I use the OL's atm.  Setting up a faucet is on my to do list.

Witnesses aside, If the above is true, couldn't we use committee or worker proposals as a temporal fix by choosing full nodes to be included in upcoming light-wallet and bitshares.org/wallet releases?
I have already created an update to bitshares-ui on github for this. All new wallets should include the API access for my node. Some web wallets (OL) take only select updates and might not have it included.

Would that be incentive enough to run public full nodes and web wallets without running a business nor marketing, just the required infrastructure?
There is no incentive for it. For now only gateways really need them. But we definitely need more to provide a better experience for the users.

Last month there were no takers for my 1K BTS giveaway. So here is another chance:
Rules:
1. You have voted for my witness: sahkan-bitshares and kept your vote through at least 31 July 2017.
2. Giveaway runs through 31 JUL 2017
3. Be the FIRST to post below: "I'LL TAKE THE 1,000BTS!" and PM me your BTS account name.
4. I will send your BTS sometime during the first week of August.
5. If you are using a Proxy and the Proxy is voting on my witness you are eligible!

Have a great BitShares July!

Hey sahkan... I thought I was voting for you but I forgot to publish changes. Anyways I am now and... I'll take the BTS! :)

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
July Witness Update

Witness performace:

As a reminder from @abit to reduce RAM usage for witness nodes, set these parameters in config.ini (since version 2.0.170531)
track-account = "1.2.1"
The witness RAM requirements are now under 2GB RAM.

Full Node:

The node was completely updated over the weekend. Additional parameters in config.ini (since version 2.0.170606) set to:

[code]partial-operations = true

In the Peerplays telegram channel few days ago JB mentioned that Poloniex complained about the memory usage on their BitShares Full Node. I am not sure if this continues to be an issue (I would think that they should be able to afford a decent server to run BTS) but once again they are displaying their " BTS is currently under maintenance or experiencing wallet/network issues. Deposits and withdrawals will remain disabled until a solution is found, which may require an update from the BTS team. Any updates must be tested and audited before enabling." banner. As you can see from my snapshot above the Full Node runs at about 27.4GB RAM. As we continue to grow and with the latest mods to decrease the memory usage on witnesses, the Full nodes will have to do the heavy lifting for the infrastructure.

Haven't stopped into the referral system so far. With your own faucet you become the default registrar/referer for account create/upgrade, if there's no LTM account (or enough funds?) present in the wallets that uses your node to interface with the blockchain?
For the moment I have not switched to my own faucet. I use the OL's atm.  Setting up a faucet is on my to do list.

Witnesses aside, If the above is true, couldn't we use committee or worker proposals as a temporal fix by choosing full nodes to be included in upcoming light-wallet and bitshares.org/wallet releases?
I have already created an update to bitshares-ui on github for this. All new wallets should include the API access for my node. Some web wallets (OL) take only select updates and might not have it included.

Would that be incentive enough to run public full nodes and web wallets without running a business nor marketing, just the required infrastructure?
There is no incentive for it. For now only gateways really need them. But we definitely need more to provide a better experience for the users.

Last month there were no takers for my 1K BTS giveaway. So here is another chance:
Rules:
1. You have voted for my witness: sahkan-bitshares and kept your vote through at least 31 July 2017.
2. Giveaway runs through 31 JUL 2017
3. Be the FIRST to post below: "I'LL TAKE THE 1,000BTS!" and PM me your BTS account name.
4. I will send your BTS sometime during the first week of August.
5. If you are using a Proxy and the Proxy is voting on my witness you are eligible!

Have a great BitShares July!

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
IMPORTANT

Sometime this weekend I will be running updates on my FULL node - API & web wallet server (dexnode.net). Please make sure that your wallets are backed up! It almost quadrupled in user connections since last update.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
The latest update on my full node is 5-31-17 (tagged release by @abit ), the RAM usage is now over 17GB.

@sahkan:

To reduce RAM usage, for witness nodes, please set these parameters in config.ini (since version 2.0.170531)
track-account = "1.2.1"

For API nodes, please set these parameters in config.ini (since version 2.0.170606)

I've recommended these settings in various chat channels.

Please spread the words.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
  • BitShares: rnglab
hey good job sahkan

Rising the avaibility/performance of web wallets and API nodes on high load moments seems to be high priority.
Web wallets require certain degree of trust. witnesses are already trusted and audited.
Reliably producing blocks and feeds require similar infrastructure management, high availability and hardening skills (plus high load, more complex infraestructure, resources, and daemons to deal with).

It is a good way for a witness to show aptitudes while making a big contribution, and hopely earning something fair as a registrar.

Whoud that be incentive enough to run public full nodes and web wallets without running a business nor marketing, just the required infrastructure?
Round robin selection could be an incentive for node performance and distribution in such a case.

Sorry for hijacking your thread! I'll paste this elsewhere if someone wants to talk about it.
You have my vote on your witness.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
sahkan-bitshares June 2017 Witness Update:

I have updated my witness node to the latest (2 JUN 2017), and utlized all RAM savings that the Devs have been working on for the past few weeks.

The latest update on my full node is 5-31-17 (tagged release by @abit ), the RAM usage is now over 17GB.
Web wallet updated to the latest 2.0.170522 (remember to back up your wallet!)
- You can access the web wallet here:  https://dexnode.net
- If you are already using a light or web wallet and need another api server to improve the performance, add my api server: wss://dexnode.net/ws (in SETTINGS, ACCESS)

An average usage on the server is 30+ web wallets and 60+ websocket connections for the Light Wallets.

Both seed nodes updated to the latest Tag release.
- Los Angeles, CA  23.92.53.182:1776
- Maidenhead, UK 192.121.166.162:1776

The following feeds black swanned and are no longer provided: KRW, SGD, HKD

Peerplays:
For the last 9 days or so a handful of BTS witnesses and other SAs were involved in the testing of the new graphene based Peerplays platform. A lot of work went into it improving both, our skills and the platform. Peerplays mainnet is now scheduled to be released sometime between Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 06:00 UTC and Wednesday, June 7 at 06:00 UTC.

As a thank you for your support of my witness a quick contest! Win 1,000 BTS!
Rules:
1. You have voted for my witness: sahkan-bitshares
2. Contest runs through 30 JUN 2017
3. You just have to guess (by replying to this post) where my nickname SAHKAN comes from or what it means :) Good Luck!
4. The first person to get it right wins 1,000BTS and I will PM him/her the instructions to get their BTS.

Have a great BitShares week!

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
sahkan-bitshares Witness Update:

Team, there is a lot of stuff happening lately so I wanted to give you another quick update that might benefit you.

First off snapshot of the Witness server:

Notice the RAM usage, it has increased by 34% in about 23 days. The activity on the DEX is picking up!

I have added a full node with a web wallet:
- You can access the web wallet here:  https://dexnode.net
- If you are already using a light or web wallet and need another api server to improve the performance, add my api server: wss://dexnode.net/ws (in SETTINGS, ACCESS)

I have replaced my Hawaii seed node with 2 new ones:
- Los Angeles, CA  23.92.53.182:1776
- Maidenhead, UK 192.121.166.162:1776

A snapshot of the LA seed:

A great snapshot and witness performance tool is available here: http://roelandp.nl/bitshareswitnesslog/ thanks to @roelandp

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:03:22 am by sahkan »

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
+5%
Powerful witness server, and glad to see the witness team injected fresh blood.

I'm a proxy, you have my vote!
Voting status will be updated in 16:00 ( UTC+8 ).
Thank you, you guys motivate me every day  8)

Offline Yao

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yao
  • GitHub: imYao
 +5%
Powerful witness server, and glad to see the witness team injected fresh blood.

I'm a proxy, you have my vote!
Voting status will be updated in 16:00 ( UTC+8 ).

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
[29 APR 17] sahkan-bitshares Witness Update:

Witness Server Performance:
24 Core, 64GB, 240GB SSD

Price feeds:
bitEUR/BTS, bitNZD/BTS, bitAUD/BTS, bitCNY/BTS, bitJPY/BTS, TUSD/BTS, bitBTC/BTS, bitSGD/BTS, bitKRW/BTS,  bitARS/BTS, CASH.USD/BTS, bitGBP/BTS, bitTRY/BTS, bitCHF/BTS, ALTCAP/bitBTC, bitHKD/BTS, bitCAD/BTS, bitSILVER/BTS, RUBLE/BTS, bitUSD/BTS, bitGOLD/BTS,, bitMXN/BTS, BTWTY/BTS

Seed:
Currently 8 Core, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD

I have added another dedicated server:
Dallas, TX - 16 core, 96GB RAM, 1TB HDD

It's a full node and provides an additional access point to DEX:
https://dexnode.net

You can check the SSL rating here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dexnode.net

If you are running a light wallet and would like to connect to it, you can  go to SETTINGS, ACCESS, ADD API and add: wss://dexnode.net/ws

To do (next few days):
- Test xeroc's new price feed script
- Add a professional price feed, please contribute to this topic: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,24006.0.html
- Add a seed node Done, added a seed node on 30 APR 17 - 23.92.53.182:1776 - VPS, 4 cores, 18GB RAM, 90GB SSD
- Upgrade my Hawaii seed

Note to other witnesses: If you want my vote just reply here or PM me your witness server specs: number of cores, ram, disk size and how many seeds you run in addition to your main server. (Hint: your RAM needs to be 16GB or more)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:39:47 am by sahkan »

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Quick update on my witness:
I wanted to thank everyone that voted for me. Now on the missing blocks: l became an active witness at 2:00AM my time, woke up after 4:00AM and found out than my witness update from yesterday:
update_witness "sahkan-bitshares" "https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23996.0.html" "" true
Switched my signing key even though according to the docs, a blank entry should not update the key. Luckily it was a quick fix.