Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] Advertisement at 8btc  (Read 20384 times)

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
some one pushed an on the most famous Chinese crypto news website, showing to potential investors who are not on this tiny forum that there are some people are still running/promoting BitShares.

i'd say that signal alone is worth more than any scientific metric can measure.

Who is to say that there is not a whale who didn't knew bitshares before saw the AD and decided to buy a couple million BTS to feel it ?

of course, if u must think that only registering account is helpful to the eco-system, be my guest. those tiny income from account usage is not paying for the witness and worker dilution, investor money is.

of course, bitcrab's intention may just want to gain more wallet users to use the DEX. From that perspective, this is not good performance .

but wasted ? come on, exposing bitshares logo on all the crypto players in China, u call that waste ? do u know how much it cost for exposing bitshares logo on some dude's cars' hood ?

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Thom

to me the effectiveness is acceptable but not inspiring.

...it brought many new comers...

Thanks for sharing what you do know. Surely you have a reason for your conclusion "the effectiveness is acceptable", but is that based on your "gut feeling" or hard cold numbers? From what you presented I would say a mixture at best. It's not an efficient way to conduct an experiment or gain knowledge about your audience or marketing.

When you suggested the idea I was all for it. I was also glad you offered to subsidize the effort by contributing half the cost out of your own personal funds. It was a small investment, a reasonable expense for a trial experiment.

I'll say this, that any marketing venture I get behind and vote for will have to explain how its' effectiveness will be measured. Without that you're just throwing money at a problem and "hoping" it will do some good. It's not a very scientific way to conduct research or run an experiment.

I applaud the initiative and your willingness to use your own funds for it (showing you have "skin in the game" to insure that it works), however I must also say I'm disappointed you didn't have a better plan for measuring the campaign's success.

Live and learn. An example of a good idea that had a flawed implementation. Next time let's apply what was learned from this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:13:27 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
You can't measure the success of ad campaigns easily.
Theres alot of subconscious brand recognition etc
correlation isn't  always causation either.
Bitcrab paid 50% of this ad campaign himself anyway.
I wouldn't say it wasn't a waste. I'm glad I supported this ad campaign with my proxy vote.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:31:39 pm by JonnyBitcoin »
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
although I have set the ad link to https://bitshares.org/wallet/?r=bitcrab&source=8btc#/, I am not skilled enough to trace how much clicks are brought by the ad, and my referral numbers has no obvious increasing.

the pic of the ad has been changed several times and the last version is as shown below, we put a QQ group number inside:

before the ad, I remember there are about 1400 members in the QQ group, now the number is 1764.

many of the new members come because of the ad, surely not all,  recently the price surge of almost all the altcoins brought many new players.

I do not have exact metric to measure the effectiveness of the ad, simply speaking, it brought many new comers but do not brought a very high increasing of user numbers. to me the effectiveness is acceptable but not inspiring.

in other words you cost us $1k with 0 measurable success.

thanks, noted.

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
although I have set the ad link to https://bitshares.org/wallet/?r=bitcrab&source=8btc#/, I am not skilled enough to trace how much clicks are brought by the ad, and my referral numbers has no obvious increasing.

the pic of the ad has been changed several times and the last version is as shown below, we put a QQ group number inside:

before the ad, I remember there are about 1400 members in the QQ group, now the number is 1764.

many of the new members come because of the ad, surely not all,  recently the price surge of almost all the altcoins brought many new players.

I do not have exact metric to measure the effectiveness of the ad, simply speaking, it brought many new comers but do not brought a very high increasing of user numbers. to me the effectiveness is acceptable but not inspiring.

Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
@bitcrab, can you please summarize what you found out from this advertising campaign?

Do you consider it a successful effort?

Did you track new accounts or increased trades you can definitively tie to the ad?

What metrics did you use to measure how effective your proposal was?

+5%
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Thom

@bitcrab, can you please summarize what you found out from this advertising campaign?

Do you consider it a successful effort?

Did you track new accounts or increased trades you can definitively tie to the ad?

What metrics did you use to measure how effective your proposal was?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
so this ad seems to run for some time now, but still no word on any western news site... anything from chinese news?

I mean, you did contact news outlets to cover that story?

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
updated to @Yao's new design and the link changed to https://bitshares.org/wallet/?r=bitcrab&source=8btc#/  hope this is better.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline nmywn

• View Profile

Offline Yao

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yao
  • GitHub: imYao
@Yao Looks super nice! Would you translate what is written on red "buttons"? I'm just curious.

;D
RED buttons:
  • Deposits and withdrawals without any restrictions
  • High efficiency, full transparency
  • Strong stability
As you knows, almost all of China's trading platform is limited to BTC withdrawals now.

This picture tells Chinese BitCoin traders, they can buying and selling BTC with CNY without any restrictions in the BitShares DEX, the DEX is a P2P platform, there is no centralized entity, sell orders and buy orders are matched on blockchain.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
@Yao Looks super nice! Would you translate what is written on red "buttons"? I'm just curious.

Offline Yao

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yao
  • GitHub: imYao
I designed a new advertising picture for Advertisement at 8btc.com:
PS:there is an amazing notebook DEX picture which is I got from https://www.bitsharesinfo.com thanks @btswolf
 :D

Please vote my witness: witness.yao

Offline yvv

• View Profile
@Yao  excellent man! I knew that this was a good ides despite what my friend @fav thinks.. Make sure that you explain them that they can also short bitassets such as bitbtc.. :)

so "hundreds" joined wechat, but did they convert to bitshares customers? account creations should skyrocket, right?

Since that's the only metric we can use in this case, spoiler: account creations do no skyrocket.

Too early to say so. Let's wait for a month and see if this add has any impact.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
@Yao  excellent man! I knew that this was a good ides despite what my friend @fav thinks.. Make sure that you explain them that they can also short bitassets such as bitbtc.. :)

so "hundreds" joined wechat, but did they convert to bitshares customers? account creations should skyrocket, right?

Since that's the only metric we can use in this case, spoiler: account creations do no skyrocket.