Author Topic: Dan's Next Project - EOS Rears its Head  (Read 56368 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Call me slow, but I've read this whole thread and still don't see why we should ditch the network and the dex and rebase bitshares as an EOSic minion.
Well .. we shouldn't per se.
But we should stay open to the best technology available.
No one is saying EOS will be - but we should be open for the innovations that it brings with it.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Call me slow, but I've read this whole thread and still don't see why we should ditch the network and the dex and rebase bitshares as an EOSic minion.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
In fact... from what I understand, the front-end of EOS dapps are basically web-apps, just like the front-end in BTS. It may be possible to write a BTS light-client as a dapp on EOS, which will use EOS producers to send signed transactions to the BTS chain. The light client could be modified to include EOS-specific functions, like sending to EOS accounts instead of BTS accounts (abstracting away the details of the connector dapp).

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
From what has been talked about in the EOS Telegram chat, it seems like EOS will be capable of communicating with other chains. I think what will happen is that a standard method will emerge for chain-to-EOS communication which initially will be much simpler to utilize than re-implementing all of BitShares on EOS. I'd imagine it would require some code change on BTS, but the ability to send bit assets to/from EOS would give EOS dapps stable currencies to use early on, while market-pegged assets on-chain are still many months away. If we can manage to do that, this will inevitably put Bitshares in a much better position to decide to make a transition to the EOS chain if it makes sense, or continue the symbiotic relationship as a separate chain.

sidechaining to EOS will require a hardfork, but I don't think it'll be too dramatic. sidechain should be the first thing we do in my opinion

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
From what has been talked about in the EOS Telegram chat, it seems like EOS will be capable of communicating with other chains. I think what will happen is that a standard method will emerge for chain-to-EOS communication which initially will be much simpler to utilize than re-implementing all of BitShares on EOS. I'd imagine it would require some code change on BTS, but the ability to send bit assets to/from EOS would give EOS dapps stable currencies to use early on, while market-pegged assets on-chain are still many months away. If we can manage to do that, this will inevitably put Bitshares in a much better position to decide to make a transition to the EOS chain if it makes sense, or continue the symbiotic relationship as a separate chain.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Do u think implementing Dogecoin on BTS as an asset will ever compete with Dogecoin?

Try it .
Make a Dogecoin in BTS and send it around . If the DogecoinAsset somehow managed to beat Dogecoin's market cap, then u can start considering the so-called migration of BTS to EOS.

Don't forget the bloody lesson learned from the threat "Vote will kill u all if u don't merge".
You miss the option of "take all the good stuff from EOS and upgrade the BitShares architecture" ..

how about just fork a EOS and snapshot all the token to existing BTS holders?
then we'll have two tokens like NXT and Adore  without killing or risking the token we already have.
risk includes tech risk and centralized risk -- imagine only who has the knowledge to handle the new version of BTS if the old and mature framework is no longer available ?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Do u think implementing Dogecoin on BTS as an asset will ever compete with Dogecoin?

Try it .
Make a Dogecoin in BTS and send it around . If the DogecoinAsset somehow managed to beat Dogecoin's market cap, then u can start considering the so-called migration of BTS to EOS.

Don't forget the bloody lesson learned from the threat "Vote will kill u all if u don't merge".
You miss the option of "take all the good stuff from EOS and upgrade the BitShares architecture" ..

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

Try it .

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
a) I am almost 100% sure I would be in favour of a worker proposal to pay for the implentation of BTS onto EOS. (I agree with this)
b) The question, does an EOS DEX render BTS 2.0 obselete?

^ This.

Offline itsmee bosslady

EOS UIA  registered a month ago by sat0shi   

https://bitshares.org/wallet/#/asset/EOS

Heyy I recognize you from Twitter :)  I'm @SommerzWorld - are you on Steemit too??  What's the best way to get to know the community, will anyone be at Ethereal Summit or Consensus?

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss

No reason we all can't own BitShares 3.0 as well.  :)

There's no reason we can't, but is there a reason we should? It seems like a low-opportunity and possibly detrimental marketing choice, respectfully.

I concluded above that a sidechain asset into a native EOS DEX would make the most sense.  Competition is good for everyone, at least those like us with good tech.

Look at the world.
The most connected places have the best economies.
EOS is the next level of connectivity - a new ecosystem.
We can own a piece of it IN ADDITION TO our current ecosystem.
If we don't do it someone else will and we won't own any of it.

I am almost 100% sure I would be in favour of a worker proposal to pay for the implentation of BTS onto EOS.

The question, does an EOS DEX render BTS 2.0 obselete?

My main concern is that EOS can perform every single function of BTS 2.0, and more.
So what new investor or customer is going to use/buy bts if EOS is better?

I want to see that BTS 2.0 has a bone fide reason to exist after a full-scale, working implementation of EOS.
.... if it comes down to it and BTS 2.0 shareholders are forced to conclude that the best way to stay in the game is to jump ship and hold EOS instead... then so be it.
In this crypto wild west of ruthless competition this may well be what should be expected.
......But currently the BTS 2.0 community could be viewed as a "team", all on the same side. A tough choice between "stay with BTS 2 or jump to EOS" could it not conceivable result in a race to the bottom?
Will there be a unique BTS 2.0 feature set that ensures a "floor price" of bts in the event that many investors dump and switch to EOS?

With what is happening This Summer, you  won't even be thinking about EOS till Christmas.
IF HERO works, I am confident it will. I'm sure there's other stuff too.
How useful is HERO if BTS 2.0 expires by the end of 2017? (because of EOS)

EOS links chains, think about that for a second
If this is the main purpose, use case, selling point, the main reason to hold EOS then that is fantastic.

But when "EOS should have it's own native DEX" is mentioned, this makes me wonder what percentage of EOS' profitability will come from linking chains, facilitating other crypto-systems.
If EOS can do things like make it's own DEX, why should EOS bother enabling chain-linking coins like DOGEcoin to Monero?
... Why not just build Monero and DOGEcoin on EOS itself and steal all their customers?

Why should EOS bother to 'link' BTS 2.0 chain to anybody else's chain?
"Here customer, EOS' let's you connect to BTS2.0!!! ... but don't bother, we can do everything for you for cheaper using our EOS DEX. I'll link you straight there instead and save you the hassle of obsolete BTS2"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:05:39 am by Permie »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
It's like moving our store from inside our own house to the shopping mall of someone else to operate under their new rules and not ours.
Today BitShares shareholders do have 100% control over the application, the blockchain itself and its settings. That's power we would probably lose running on EOS.
It's like moving a centralized exchange to BitShares ^^
Not saying it does not come with benefits but also not without risks.
I've known this to be true for years but right now is the first time I truly appreciate 100% shareholder control.
Is BTS 2.0 the first company in history to be able to say that with 100% confidence?

But think a little while how well Bitshares has worked so far... From technical standpoint there shouldn't be anything that prevents it being a TOP5 blockchain. But the community hasn't been able to use the technology to grow the ecosystem.

Would it be really a bad thing if a community like that would lose some of the control? What's the point of having control if it's used ineffectively?

The "invisible hand" guides the market, are you suggesting you have forsight greater than an omnipotent all-knowing "entity" that represents the aggregate subjective decisions made by an economic community?

Are you suggesting Redistribution of wealth?
I would hope such an idea is rather unpopular on a forum with history of NAP and austrian school of economic theory.

Where's the proof it's the fault of the current shareholders?
Even if it was their fault, who's to say that a current shareholder would not learn from their mistakes and have knowledge that a newly appointed receiver of stolen goods would not possess?

The bts price would have dumped into the ground long ago and it would not have had the capital to employ or incentivize anyone.
Iif the shareholders of the previous 2 years did not risk their wealth to bring it to fruition, this project would be nothing.
This project IS the shareholders. The community.

The fact that BitShares "Has the potential to be a TOP 5 blockchain" is directly BECAUSE of the investment of the "current" shareholders.
Liquidity, collateral asset value, results of worker proposal voting, testing early product, community discussion participation are all the result of efforts made by the shareholders.

====

The whole essence of this project, the real asset that brings BitShares' monumental growth potential, is in it's founding principles and enablance of freedom.

I should hope that the Freedom from sneaky rug-pulling is included.

We are living in an realm of abundance.
No need to fight over scraps.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I think it probably will be good news for BitShares 2.0

I do not think that Dan will have spent another 18months of his valuable time redoing what he achieved with BitShares 2.0.
I'm confident that EOS will benefit BTS 2.0 shareholders.

But what if it doesn't? This isn't Dan's baby anymore and the decision is for the shareholders

I completely agree with your idea of staying as independent as possible. The chance that eos will be opensource is pretty high, so even in a worst case scenario, we are at least able to glean some technical inspiration from it. Hell from the looks of it, bitshares is in way better shape than projects like ethereum. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, if even half of what's been leaked is true.

Then again ethereum apparently never had any problems with funding and hype, which of course had nothing to do with these big and nasty hidden powers behind the project, that have absolutely no nefarious agenda at all. Those powers would of course never use any untowards means to insure their monopoly.

They didn't count on EOS.
You can't imagine the power of the Bright Side.
You can't win Darth...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
It's like moving our store from inside our own house to the shopping mall of someone else to operate under their new rules and not ours.
Today BitShares shareholders do have 100% control over the application, the blockchain itself and its settings. That's power we would probably lose running on EOS.
It's like moving a centralized exchange to BitShares ^^
Not saying it does not come with benefits but also not without risks.
I've known this to be true for years but right now is the first time I truly appreciate 100% shareholder control.
Is BTS 2.0 the first company in history to be able to say that with 100% confidence?

But think a little while how well Bitshares has worked so far... From technical standpoint there shouldn't be anything that prevents it being a TOP5 blockchain. But the community hasn't been able to use the technology to grow the ecosystem.

Would it be really a bad thing if a community like that would lose some of the control? What's the point of having control if it's used ineffectively?

The "invisible hand" guides the market, are you suggesting you have forsight greater than an omnipotent all-knowing "entity" that represents the aggregate subjective decisions made by an economic community?

What I'm trying to say is that markets clearly don't appreciate Bitshares. That's not because the technology sucks, so it must be because the community sucks.

Where's the proof it's the fault of the current shareholders?
Even if it was their fault, who's to say that a current shareholder would not learn from their mistakes and have knowledge that a newly appointed receiver of stolen goods would not possess?

Are the shareholders learning from their mistakes? So far I haven't seen much evidence.

The whole essence of this project, the real asset that brings BitShares' monumental growth potential, is in it's founding principles and enablance of freedom.

I should hope that the Freedom from sneaky rug-pulling is included.

I'm interested in freedom, too, and that's why I'm willing to let Bitshares to die if it can't help with the financial revolution that the world really needs. If Bitshares doesn't want to integrate to EOS and the community will keep progressing very slowly, eventually somebody else will start to build financial platform in EOS ecosystem. That might be so much better that it will take the market share from Bitshares.

If that ever happens, the question is: Are you going to be loyal to the blockchain or are you going to be loyal to the principles? Will you keep supporting Bitshares even if it's not a good tool for freedom, or will you abandon it and jump to the better ecosystem that can actually create a real change in the world?

Just remember that Bitshares is a DAC. Dan can not do anything to it without the shareholder vote.

I know that very well. That's why I want to encourage everybody to think deeply how to vote in the near future. Do you want to keep on going the unsuccessful road or choose another one that might be better?

BitShares is an idea.
It is independent of the technology that implements it.
That's why we invented the Pitch Fork.
We evolve.
Bitcoin sinks in the Tar Pits.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

With what is happening This Summer, you  won't even be thinking about EOS till Christmas.

Please stop pumping me.  :P

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear" -- Jesus Christ