Author Topic: Dan's Next Project - EOS Rears its Head  (Read 56357 times)

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
I also have not received an e-mail about it, eventhough I did register myself on the mailinglist.

It's probably laying in your promotions tab on Google account.

365 days is waaayyy too looongggg in the crypto world

Where did you find out that information?  From their last mail they only inform about conducting a 2week public trail of the sail on Ethereum test network. They invite everyone interested in learning how sale works to participate in the trail. They will send instructions in following mail which  didnt arrive until time of this writing..

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
@bytemaster I guess people just don't learn from past mistakes

The AGS style is good for an ICO.
365 days is waaayyy too looongggg in the crypto world
They should have done 60% in ETH if they so wish to but at least 40% should be in bitusd and bitcny so they have at least some security that the funds raised will at least have a stable value and not subject to price swings..That would also attract a lot of bts whales who may not want to sell their BTS to buy ETH to buy EOS but would not mind spend their bitusd, bitcny from their collateralized positions or from their savings accounts to buy EOS. That would also give a whole new meaning to market pegged assets that @bytemaster you have created and would drive bts price to unimaginable levels..

But the reality is that people just don't learn from past mistakes and this is just sad..

Offline JoeyD

I was away from the internet for a while and I missed the announcement about EOS doing an Ethereum ICO. I also have not received an e-mail about it, eventhough I did register myself on the mailinglist.

First impression I have of that are not good. If they are only doing an ICO on ethereum and not any other blockchain than it is a strange move and I think it is a slap in the face of bitshares. At the very least as a show of thanks for the people who helped make bitshares grow to what it is today, and that is one of the key value propositions of EOS, as in multithreaded bitshares-tech, and in remembrance of the social contract, 10% of the ICO could be done in a bitshares ICO. Now it feels like instead of sticking by bitshares despite all the bashing, and I've seen ethereum core-members and devs doing it, I've should have done the opposite. I understand wanting to attract people over from ethereum, but why not reward people who actually supported Dan Larimer creating the tech for EOS?

I wouldn't mind them diversifying to prevent the same loss in funds as happened with the btc-fundraiser with ags. But this does not sound like diversifying at all.

Also if they have to hold the tokens till the end of the ICO (which I've seen mentioned is planned to last 360 days or something like that), holding ethereum is not any less risky than bitcoin. Despite their massively active hype army, ethereum has just about all the same problems bitcoin has, although somehow that dirty laundry is not being flaunted about in the same public manner as with bitcoin. Worse yet I've seen people apparently in blind denial bashing bitcoin publicly, about all the things ethereum hasn't solved either. Just of the top of my head eth has massive scaling issues, right now, their blockchain is now larger than bitcoin and growing more rapidly (and no reward for people running full-nodes either), they have no decentralized governance to speak of, no voting mechanism at all apparently and need at the very least one or more hardfork(s) in the coming year. Also do not forget that any slow downs or problems with ethereum will have waay more catastrophic effects on the smartcontracts than with bitcoin.

@xeroc: I don't agree with your argument. There are ways to hold ICOs and value on bitshares without the need to  crash the marketprice especially over a  time period of a year. At the very least they should not hold the ICO solely on ethereum, because as mentioned that does show a lack of confidence. Hell, they could do an announcement saying that they'll immediately sell 10% of the gathered eth for bitshares and send those bitshares to a burn address or bts-dev-fund or whatever.

Also I was hoping this would not turn into a money grab up front. I understand the need for money to fund development, but EOS should be able to pay for itself instead of upfront. This whole hyped up ICO craze going on does have a scammy feel to it and I'd rather not help support it.

So much for my first impressions, I probably need to think more on this. Public discussion does help me shaping my opinion, how else would I ever change my mind on something.

Online Brekyrself

• View Profile
Since the EOS token sale is over a full year, does that mean it won't be released for at LEAST a year?  Sounds like a big project.  And a lot can happen in a year in the crypto world.

This is a good guess.  There would be a LOT of drama if they cut the 360 day window short and launched sooner. 

A testnet with BitShares and Steem running side by side would be quite cool and probably gather some serious attention!

Offline kingslanding

• View Profile
Since the EOS token sale is over a full year, does that mean it won't be released for at LEAST a year?  Sounds like a big project.  And a lot can happen in a year in the crypto world.
BTS username/address:   kingslanding9999

Offline hellobitshares

• View Profile
EOS Token sale smart contract being tested on the Ethereum blockchain?

Why not just ICO on BitShares?

Am I missing something here?

They just acknowledge that their DEX is not the best option anymore.

BitShares is the best, but ether is where the money is right now. I'd be tempted to raise funds in ether too for such a hyped up project. I think it would ultimately harm BTS if they ICO'd on the dex, by bringing in bunch of hype purchasers who won't stick around. After EOS they'll all jump the next hype wagon too. Solid organic growth and real adoption are good for the dex.

Offline yvv

• View Profile

They just acknowledge that their DEX is not the best option anymore.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

I felt betrayed for a brief second until I thought more about the implications.
Launching an ICO on Ethereum means acceptance and visibility from ETH holders whereas launching on Bitshares would mostly attract Steem and Bitshares users. Secondly, once the ICO ends the token is no longer needed and the value is transferred to the new chain.

EOS basically drinks ETH's milkshake. Very clever.

This!
The audience they need to reach first and formost are smart contract developers .. and there are way more of them on ethereum

Also, once they raise millions, they can dump ETH into oblivion .. glad they wont do that to BTS (read: crowdfunding in a blockchains native token is stupid like sh***)

Offline yellowecho

I felt betrayed for a brief second until I thought more about the implications.
Launching an ICO on Ethereum means acceptance and visibility from ETH holders whereas launching on Bitshares would mostly attract Steem and Bitshares users. Secondly, once the ICO ends the token is no longer needed and the value is transferred to the new chain.

EOS basically drinks ETH's milkshake. Very clever.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Online Brekyrself

• View Profile

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
That doesn't really address any of permie's concerns (concerns that I also share), though. I'd like to believe Dan is willing to look out for the best interests of all his creations, but...I have my doubts at this point.

:-\

Just like he looked out for the best interest of Bitshares' bitUSD by creating Steem Dollars?

He is so ashamed of himself that he won't even come here. I think that answers your question...

Stan championing the previous Bitshares merger is also quite funny. So when will BTS Vote and BTS DNS be active on the BTS 2.0 chain Stan?  ::)

Do you really think the BTS community is going to fall for the bait and switch a second time?

I really wanted BTS Vote... and DNS. And Dan's 'undivided attention'.

haha forget it.
He always has a reason to leave that is for "not getting his way".

He claimed that he leaved BTS for needing to make ends meet.
But when STEEM made him super rich, he still left to build something new and create another token again.

And i am pretty sure he will build another token again after EOS.

He is not always focusing on new technologies.
He want to create new technologies while creating another token to sell it again.  :P :P

It's normal for human do do so .
It's just naive for those who believed he will keep adding undivided attention to the tokens he created and sold ( or dropped significantly in price).

New tokens is always with much potential to earn more money.

cool
do it  +5% +5% +5%
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
EOS seems to be similar to Aeternity, wondering which one will be better?.

Is there any doubt?

I chose Bitshares instead of Ethereum when BTS was about to pass ETH in market cap because there was no doubt too.  :P

Same. Hah.

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight

Is there any doubt?

I chose Bitshares instead of Ethereum when BTS was about to pass ETH in market cap because there was no doubt too.  :P

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Is there any doubt?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline JoeyD

Judging just by things both projects have publicized then aeternity purely as a blockchain itself is not very impressive. 30 second blocktimes and 3 tx/s. Whereas the current blockchain of bitshares has apparently on average 1second blockconfirmations and thousands of tx/s.

EOS aims to increase and optimize the bitshares blockchain even further with hundreds of cores each at the very least close to bitshares current throughput per node/witness. He also talked about multiple eos-networks (like how we now have bitshares, steemit and peerplays), that would be able to interact with each other either through gateways or sidechains (provided that nut gets cracked).  The off-chain thing is a completely different debate, I don't know enough about that to have anything intelligent to say, other that I fear centralization and points of failure with that approach.