Author Topic: Dan's Next Project - EOS Rears its Head  (Read 56352 times)

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
EOS seems to be similar to Aeternity, wondering which one will be better?.

Offline JoeyD

but I do think the community should take action to claim their piece of the eos pie.

Please clarify?

I'm not quite sure what was unclear about that part, but if you want examples of the pieces of pie.

For new developers on the eos blockchain and the potential competing options to do account creation, editing and placing and canceling orders without fees on to top of the increased speed and bandwidth. Could you come up with an easier sure win dapp than the tried and tested easy to copy and enhance opensource bitshares one? So I was suggesting that at the very least we should have that piece of the pie for bitshares.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
That doesn't really address any of permie's concerns (concerns that I also share), though. I'd like to believe Dan is willing to look out for the best interests of all his creations, but...I have my doubts at this point.

:-\

Just like he looked out for the best interest of Bitshares' bitUSD by creating Steem Dollars?

He is so ashamed of himself that he won't even come here. I think that answers your question...

Stan championing the previous Bitshares merger is also quite funny. So when will BTS Vote and BTS DNS be active on the BTS 2.0 chain Stan?  ::)

Do you really think the BTS community is going to fall for the bait and switch a second time?

I really wanted BTS Vote... and DNS. And Dan's 'undivided attention'.

haha forget it.
He always has a reason to leave that is for "not getting his way".

He claimed that he leaved BTS for needing to make ends meet.
But when STEEM made him super rich, he still left to build something new and create another token again.

And i am pretty sure he will build another token again after EOS.

He is not always focusing on new technologies.
He want to create new technologies while creating another token to sell it again.  :P :P

It's normal for human do do so .
It's just naive for those who believed he will keep adding undivided attention to the tokens he created and sold ( or dropped significantly in price).

New tokens is always with much potential to earn more money.
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Methodise

That doesn't really address any of permie's concerns (concerns that I also share), though. I'd like to believe Dan is willing to look out for the best interests of all his creations, but...I have my doubts at this point.

:-\

Just like he looked out for the best interest of Bitshares' bitUSD by creating Steem Dollars?

He is so ashamed of himself that he won't even come here. I think that answers your question...

Stan championing the previous Bitshares merger is also quite funny. So when will BTS Vote and BTS DNS be active on the BTS 2.0 chain Stan?  ::)

Do you really think the BTS community is going to fall for the bait and switch a second time?

I really wanted BTS Vote... and DNS. And Dan's 'undivided attention'.

BTS: methodise

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Dan did mention that he thinks bitshares should do some changes to match more with the concepts in eos. For example he thinks that users should be taxed less for interactions, like not having to pay fees to register changes on the blockchain and only asking a fee for executed orders not for just placing and cancelling them.

Still I think this is not immediately bad news for bitshares, but I do think the community should take action to claim their piece of the eos pie. Pretty damn sure that the exchange thing will be a big target for quite a few people.

I got the impression that if this eos-thing works it is going to make big waves and I do feel that ethereum is screwed. Or to speak in Tron terms: Ethereum program is about to be derezzed, end of line.

This ^^. I think this is true, we need to incorporate EOS features.
@fuzzy - it would be good if we could have dan attend onbe of the mumbles to discuss imo.

Offline bobmaloney

Dan mentioned a couple times about releasing info to those on a mailing list.  How does one get on the mailing list?

http://eos.io/
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline kingslanding

• View Profile
Dan mentioned a couple times about releasing info to those on a mailing list.  How does one get on the mailing list?
BTS username/address:   kingslanding9999

Offline karnal

• View Profile
but I do think the community should take action to claim their piece of the eos pie.

Please clarify?

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
snip

Thanks for the writeup. Just watched the stream and that sums it up pretty well.

Offline JoeyD

Thanks to roelandp setting up a periscope stream on his phone I could pick up snippets of the presentation today. Unfortunately I only got snippets and I think I missed most of it, but here is what I could pick up.

No info yet on token distribution, updates will happen through the mailinglist at eos.io.

As has been leaked on the telegram group, eos will be a next step in graphene technology adding parallel threads or processing as it were. Where applications have to be written around messages and every block can do multiple actions instead of the just one currently. Applications can communicate rapidly with others in the same blockchain, but also with other chains through sidechains which will have higher latency (40 seconds for confirmation finality)

The vision seems to be for multiple eos-chains (even private ones) to be able to coexist and communicate with each other, further enhancing the throughput and bandwidth.

There will be a slight overhead because of the vm, making it initially a little slower compared to single threaded applications like steem and bitshares, but because of the options to run multiple parallel threads and because of the multiple operations for messages per block that can be mitigated quite a bit.

I also think I heard Dan mention that nodes can pick and choose which messages to focus on, like an exchange not having to process socialmedia transactions, although all apps can still interact with each other.

EOS economic model is similar to steem, where initially revenue will be generated through 5% inflation of tokens, which can be changed and distributed in a still to decide manner by the token holders. (Although the 5% inflation can only be lowered not raised)

Eventhough quite a few big names are involved in the project already, everybody will have to buy in to the tokens in the same way. (Which I guess means no pre-allocation like with ethereum and ripple). Big names already involved in the project besides the ones already known, seem to be Bo Shen, Yunbi, bitfinex and some others I can't remember.

For now that's about all I can remember or was able to glean from my mostly broken connection to the periscope stream.

Hope this helps, have nice day.

PS
Oh almost forgot. Dan did mention that he thinks bitshares should do some changes to match more with the concepts in eos. For example he thinks that users should be taxed less for interactions, like not having to pay fees to register changes on the blockchain and only asking a fee for executed orders not for just placing and cancelling them.

Still I think this is not immediately bad news for bitshares, but I do think the community should take action to claim their piece of the eos pie. Pretty damn sure that the exchange thing will be a big target for quite a few people.

I got the impression that if this eos-thing works it is going to make big waves and I do feel that ethereum is screwed. Or to speak in Tron terms: Ethereum program is about to be derezzed, end of line.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:34:08 pm by JoeyD »

Offline Tuck Fheman

Lucksacks.com - The Largest Cryptocurrency Freeroll Poker Site in the World!

Offline emailtooaj

One other thing I deduced from all the chatter in telegram is that EOS will almost definitely use a different economic model than bitshares for its tokens and bandwidth in line with his blog post about fee-less blockchains and similar to steem (with your stake controlling bandwidth).

In that sense I don't know how easy it would be to just move bts over or clone the eos tech. Then again it does open up the possibility to try different economic models for bts and see which one works best. Hard to say anything meaningful or make plans with the limited knowledge we have about eos at the moment.

But I do agree that bitshares should be right on top of this and probably start out with at least a sidechained foot in the door of eos.
+5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline JoeyD

One other thing I deduced from all the chatter in telegram is that EOS will almost definitely use a different economic model than bitshares for its tokens and bandwidth in line with his blog post about fee-less blockchains and similar to steem (with your stake controlling bandwidth).

In that sense I don't know how easy it would be to just move bts over or clone the eos tech. Then again it does open up the possibility to try different economic models for bts and see which one works best. Hard to say anything meaningful or make plans with the limited knowledge we have about eos at the moment.

But I do agree that bitshares should be right on top of this and probably start out with at least a sidechained foot in the door of eos.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Do u think implementing Dogecoin on BTS as an asset will ever compete with Dogecoin?

Try it .
Make a Dogecoin in BTS and send it around . If the DogecoinAsset somehow managed to beat Dogecoin's market cap, then u can start considering the so-called migration of BTS to EOS.

Don't forget the bloody lesson learned from the threat "Vote will kill u all if u don't merge".
You miss the option of "take all the good stuff from EOS and upgrade the BitShares architecture" ..
+5% I would like this approach

But, if this could be done. Then that would imply that Dan didn't want to just lobby BTS 2 shareholders to implement his new changes, and decided to build a whole new system just because

Surely there is a reason it was rebuilt from scratch.
Obviously the bits that can be "borrowed" from EOS and implemented to BTS 2 should be, but will they really be 'the best bits'?

Do u think implementing Dogecoin on BTS as an asset will ever compete with Dogecoin?

Try it .
Make a Dogecoin in BTS and send it around . If the DogecoinAsset somehow managed to beat Dogecoin's market cap, then u can start considering the so-called migration of BTS to EOS.

Don't forget the bloody lesson learned from the threat "Vote will kill u all if u don't merge".
+5% point taken.
Dogecoin is backed by it's community.
The BitShares community needs to back BTS 2

BTS 2.0 may well fair just fine, carrying on as if EOS doesn't exist :)
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM