Author Topic: Forgot password  (Read 7622 times)

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
If key found, then maybe you must claim your balance. (options).
Is "original username for bitshares" is newly created wallet? Just go into options/wallet and set other wallet active.
I"m afraid i don't understand fully what you're doing.

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
I see my original username for bitshares is no longer registered. Does that mean I lost everything?

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
@nmywn when I try to import my private key. All is says is key found. Not sure if I did the right steps.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Under settings/wallet. Drop down list (if you have more than one wallet). It's good to make custom names for backups (wallets) - you will be lost very soon with "bts_default" naming scheme. If private  key is from 2.0 it should work for you - I've tested some time ago. Can't help you with earlier version, because I had no idea about bitshares before, but if I had old key I would try to paste it somewhere under permision tab as  owner key maybe. One I know older keys were not associated with accounts, so you need account first, then you can import the key, 

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
Create new wallet in settings (it will be empty), make it active and import key (WiF).
For pre-2.0  key you'll need account first (empty wallet would not work afaik).

How do I make it active?

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
Here's the Update:

I created a wallet model. I attempted to restore my old wallet with the json file but I got this error message. "please use a BTS 1.0 wallet_export_keys file instead" I'm not sure what to make of this. So I decided to use the private key. I submitted my key and all that happened was a message appearing saying "Found Key".

My balance still says 0. Not entirely sure if I did everything right.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Create new wallet in settings (it will be empty), make it active and import key (WiF).
For pre-2.0  key you'll need account first (empty wallet would not work afaik).

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
alternatively, since you already did the migration from 1.0 to 2.0 at some point, you might be able to simply enter your private key under Restore/Import.

This should work if you only had one account and you have the private key for that account. If you had multiple accounts in your 2.0 desktop wallet I don't think it will work. Or in other words, you would only get one account back.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
I just checked and the proper place to do the import under settings is "Restore/Import"

But there doesn't seem to be the option to import a .json file from a BitShares 2.0 Client. Are you sure you have a .json file?
Under the same settings menu there is the option "Backup" and this gives you the .bin file which you were wondering about. Do you have a .bin file backup from your desktop client? Is the interface of the desktop client similar to that of the web wallet? If so, you can make a .bin backup there. Or if you already have one, you can import this into the web wallet.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
wallet model

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
I create a new account model or new wallet model?

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
Yes, you will have to make a new account for the web-wallet. Use this link to access the web wallet:

https://bitshares.org/wallet/

Openledger works I think but it might be something different now.

Once you have made a new account you go to settings which is in a menu at the upper right, next to your user name.
In settings you can select import keys and import your json file there.  At that point you will be asked for your password and you insert the password for your desktop client where you exported the keys.

If everything is successful you will have your old account restored in the webwallet.  You will have two accounts in the wallet.  The one you created to access the webwallet, and the one you restored from your desktop client

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
Strange...I can sign into my Bitshares 2.0. Export my wallet and everything but the same password I use for the software does not work when I tried on browser client. Am I missing something here?

Offline bitbybits

• View Profile
Is there a way to change your password from the installed software of Bitshares?

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
Yes that's correct.