Author Topic: [worker proposal] 201707-bsip18: Worker has been created as "1.14.56"  (Read 11343 times)

Offline renkcub

• View Profile
the force settle shouldn't be allowed before the feed price worked.
then SILVER would not become such a Joke.
who made this silly logic in the core?
and who take responsibility for it?

no, in fact the share holders think this logic is right.
they have done another awesome worker.
congratulations to the Great Bitshares community.

What are you implying? Did someone get away with an improper trade/settlement and make "free" money? Can you share some proof of any issues?

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
the force settle shouldn't be allowed before the feed price worked.
then SILVER would not become such a Joke.
who made this silly logic in the core?
and who take responsibility for it?

no, in fact the share holders think this logic is right.
they have done another awesome worker.
congratulations to the Great Bitshares community.

Offline yvv

• View Profile
There are no price feeds for silver yet. I guess, markets does what it whats.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Offline yvv

• View Profile
His account is trading very actively now, which means that he does not find trading logic to be too unreasonable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:38:16 pm by yvv »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
pretty sure alt is old enough to raise concerns within 5 months, so no idea what's the issue here. I'm following most development on bitshares, and this one was executed very good in my opinion

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Please tell me what we could have done better. Maybe it will help next time.

It looks like you did pretty much everything correctly from organizational perspective (can't judge how reasonable is technical implementation). Very sad that miscommunication with alt has happened (I don't blame anybody by no means).

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
How did it happen guys that you didn't work out the fork such that it does not piss off anybody? Alt was a very good witness and he shut down btsbots together with his witness node, which is a lot of pity...

We came up with a detailed description of the proposed changes 6 months ago. The BSIP-18 proposal was discussed here in the forum, all questions that came up were answered, all concerns addressed (AFAIK). Then a worker was created and was quickly voted in, meaning the proposal has been approved by a majority of the shareholders. The proposal was implemented as planned, and was extensively tested in testnet. All witnesses were supposed to participate in testing, were repeatedly asked to do so, and had lots of time to do it. Then we created a release and announced the hardfork, 5 weeks before the scheduled time. We even postponed the release for another 10 days after discovering a bug.

AFAICS we did everything exactly right.

Then, a mere 5 days ago, this message appeared:
btsbots.com will not support the fork because of the unreasonable trade logic.

No explanation what was meant with "unreasonable trade logic". Apparently there were discussions in various other channels. I have heard about claims that the release contained "malicious code injection", and that your "funds are not safe on BitShares". Again, without any explanations what exactly the problem might be.

I have been told that several chinese-speaking community members talked to @alt - it seems that the "unreasonable trade logic" is that holders of SILVER can settle their bitassets against the settlement_fund. I don't see how that is unreasonable. Quite the opposite, I think this is the way how things are intended to work. Nobody else who I talked to really understands alt's point of view, or supports his position.

I'd like to point out that at "T - 5 days" you can't simply stop such a hardfork. Almost everybody who runs a full node will most likely already have upgraded at that point. We've announced the release 5 weeks before the planned date, precisely because it takes time to get the information out to an unknown number of people.

How did it happen guys that you didn't work out the fork such that it does not piss off anybody?

Please tell me what we could have done better. Maybe it will help next time.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Final report

The hardfork containing the BSIP-18 implementation paid by this worker was activated today. So far, everything seems to be working as expected.

* People are now able to settle bitAssets that are in black swan state. The first settlement happened soon after the hardfork time, in block http://bitshares-explorer.io:9009/#/blocks/22475777 .
* Some witnesses have reactivated price feeds for most of the bitAssets that were in black swan state. The following assets have been revived instantly after a sufficient number of feeds became available: CASH.USD, GRIDCOIN, HKD, NZD, RUB, SEK, SGD and TUSD. KRW will probably follow soon, it currently has 6 of 7 required feeders.
* GOLOS has enough feeders, but is still waiting for collateral bids.
* It seems to be consensus among witnesses that holders of GOLD and SILVER should be given some time to settle, before price feeds are reactivated. At the current BTS price, SILVER would be revived instantly, while GOLD would require additional collateral.

Unfortunately it seems that @alt hasn't upgraded, as he previously announced. His witness node dropped out immediately after the fork. Please remove your votes.

My work on this has now been completed. I will request payment from the BitShares Foundation.

congrats on the successful HF!

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Unfortunately it seems that @alt hasn't upgraded, as he previously announced. His witness node dropped out immediately after the fork. Please remove your votes.

How did it happen guys that you didn't work out the fork such that it does not piss off anybody? Alt was a very good witness and he shut down btsbots together with his witness node, which is a lot of pity...

Offline pc

• View Profile
Final report

The hardfork containing the BSIP-18 implementation paid by this worker was activated today. So far, everything seems to be working as expected.

* People are now able to settle bitAssets that are in black swan state. The first settlement happened soon after the hardfork time, in block http://bitshares-explorer.io:9009/#/blocks/22475777 .
* Some witnesses have reactivated price feeds for most of the bitAssets that were in black swan state. The following assets have been revived instantly after a sufficient number of feeds became available: CASH.USD, GRIDCOIN, HKD, NZD, RUB, SEK, SGD and TUSD. KRW will probably follow soon, it currently has 6 of 7 required feeders.
* GOLOS has enough feeders, but is still waiting for collateral bids.
* It seems to be consensus among witnesses that holders of GOLD and SILVER should be given some time to settle, before price feeds are reactivated. At the current BTS price, SILVER would be revived instantly, while GOLD would require additional collateral.

My work on this has now been completed. I will request payment from the BitShares Foundation.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline pc

• View Profile
Status update

I have just created two PRs on github, completing the first two milestones from my proposal:

• https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/pull/340 - this is the initial implementation of the features discussed in the proposal. Unit tests are included (and pass, obviously). The code is able to replay the current chain. I have also let the hardfork pass on a local node, without problems (but also without consequences, of course). I urge developers and witnesses to review this PR!
  • https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/pull/339 - since my worker proposal includes support during the hardfork, and (hopefully unnecessary) debugging should any problems arise, and due to experience gained from the recent blockchain halt, this PR intends to improve startup time after a node crashes. This should speed up debugging and restart significantly, should it become necessary. This change is not consensus-related and can be applied immediately by node operators who feel brave enough. :-)

As of today, the worker has accumulated about 88k BTS, which would at today's price on CMC cover about half of my requested pay.

Next steps:
  • wait for review of PRs
  • make adjustments, if any are deemed necessary
  • integrate into testnet after PR has been accepted

Offline oxarbitrage

congratulations! it is great to have you :) all the best. anything i can do for you please just let me know.

Offline pc

• View Profile