Author Topic: Worker Proposal 1.14.58 - Bill Butler - BitsharesUI  (Read 17531 times)

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
@bitcrab I believe you are referring to this issue: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-ui/issues/202

It's on the first sprint to resolve.

thanks, my concern is not the compete between different wallets, but whether the community sanctioned development is on the right way, we need to try to avoid wasting resources.

I'll try to collect more info and then give my opinion soon.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
We are losing market shares to the competition because of imminent problems in the reference Client.
A single GUI server may be not be scalable enough to support thousands of users right now but we have more urgent tasks to address in the current reference client where people are complaining daily about UX problems and bugs.
Working on these important issues is not blocking anyone from coming up with a completely new and better GUI but at least in the western hemisphere we only have the reference GUI right now.

And besides the actual work, new and existing shareholders do want to see actual progress on the reference wallet and have a team of developers constantly improving BitShares and the reference Client is what most users do see when they come try BitShares.

vote for adoption, vote for growth, vote for BitShares

+5%

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler
@bitcrab I believe you are referring to this issue: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-ui/issues/202

It's on the first sprint to resolve.
PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Offline btswolf

I have one concern:

We are losing market shares to the competition because of imminent problems in the reference Client.
A single GUI server may be not be scalable enough to support thousands of users right now but we have more urgent tasks to address in the current reference client where people are complaining daily about UX problems and bugs.
Working on these important issues is not blocking anyone from coming up with a completely new and better GUI but at least in the western hemisphere we only have the reference GUI right now.

And besides the actual work, new and existing shareholders do want to see actual progress on the reference wallet and have a team of developers constantly improving BitShares and the reference Client is what most users do see when they come try BitShares.

vote for adoption, vote for growth, vote for BitShares

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
Our worker proposal is intentionally open ended so we have the flexibility to address the issues that are most pressing to the community. It appears that the part of the concern is that a community sanctioned wallet would essentially compete with the efforts of abit. It's our belief that incremental improvements to the existing wallet would be a faster path to adoption, but of course without community support it's unlikely it will ever happen.

Many people have put in hours of work without being fairly compensated. Our team agrees that this is not the path forward. We would welcome paying anyone who submitted PR's that were accepted into the reference wallet.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I have one concern:

will this worker proposal plan to do something to optimize the performance of the UI?

I have discussed with some developers, I was told that there are some issues in the UI which caused low performance, for example, someone told that he found when one summit one operation in the GUI, about 20 requests will be sent to API server, some other designs, such as how the charts update, may also lower the performance.

some even conclude that without  redesign of the UI infrastructure it do not have a good furture. very limited clients with such UI can access an api server concurrently.

@alt even begin a project with meteor+mongodb+ddp protocol to build a service that can serve wallet to get high performance, mobile wallet - ICOWALLET will adopt this infrastructure.

I am not sure that I describe the issue exactly but I feel before we decide to upgrade the UI we need to consider this issue and decide whether and how to handle it.

To get there, we need to improve the backend API of Bitshares which is what Alfredo is already working on. I cannot link to an actual github issue but i can remember some discussion about
improving API calls and making it easier to get all the data.
Also, we have the get_full_accounts API call which should provide you with almost everything you need.

Additionally, I personally want to work on an API/plugin to integrate one of my personal projects with, but I am still learning C++ ..

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
I have one concern:

will this worker proposal plan to do something to optimize the performance of the UI?

I have discussed with some developers, I was told that there are some issues in the UI which caused low performance, for example, someone told that he found when one summit one operation in the GUI, about 20 requests will be sent to API server, some other designs, such as how the charts update, may also lower the performance.

some even conclude that without  redesign of the UI infrastructure it do not have a good furture. very limited clients with such UI can access an api server concurrently.

@alt even begin a project with meteor+mongodb+ddp protocol to build a service that can serve wallet to get high performance, mobile wallet - ICOWALLET will adopt this infrastructure.

I am not sure that I describe the issue exactly but I feel before we decide to upgrade the UI we need to consider this issue and decide whether and how to handle it.

Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline btswolf

+5% very important worker, please vote.
we need to improve the reference wallet now.
@bitcrab

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
does this include:

* work on open source explorer gui ( @oxarbitrage )

Yes, this proposal outlines the steps we will take to remove bugs and improve usability with input and feedback from the bts community.

* chrome push alerts

That has not been specifically requested, but if push alerts are important to you, I'd suggest you create a github issue, open a discussion so we can move it into a milestone.

* overwork, better stats

I don't know what this means.

* tailored landing pages for marketers

This has not been posted as a desired issue on the UI, but the work performed for the UI could certainly include this if it were posted, discussed and prioritized.

* where's can I check other projects/design portfolio

I don't have a design portfolio. This isn't a UX proposal, it's a general maintenance for the UI proposal. I have 25 years of experience managing various teams. I will not be handing designs down from on high. Rather, I plan to propose designs that can be discussed and iterated on consistently and methodically.

* why is there no mockup/first idea

Because a mockup is putting the cart waaay before the horse in my opinion. A mockup provides a false sense of security. This worker proposal is not about drawing pretty pictures. It's about creating a stable, bug free framework upon which to build an intuitive user experience.

Offline oxarbitrage

This is an excellent worker proposal focusing on what bitshares currently need more - became the best and most used exchange in the world. in order to do it, a lot of work has to be done in the official bitshares UI( the dex). the core code is pretty much covered by now and there is a lot of stuff that can be done with what it is currently available. the core team can and will join efforts with the ui team to have new features, changes, etc.

in order to became the best exchange, trading need to be easy, clean, bug free, professional and familiar. the only way to do it is with hard long term work.
with @svk in the team i am confident all needed will be done,  i listened to Bill yesterday in the hangout and it looks like a great addition to the team to organize the requests, documentation, be more on front against public and sigve more in the back as i know by own experience that developing and giving support at the same time is crazy, specially with live stuff.

in short , all the luck, i hope this can be voted in, my votes are insignificant but i voted for the proposal.

Offline R

• View Profile
does this include:

I don't think so:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,24097.msg309466.html#msg309466
Worker proposal '1.14.55' covers the open source explorer, not this thread's worker proposal.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
does this include:

* chrome push alerts

referral:

* overwork, better stats
* tailored landing pages for marketers

edit:

* where's can I check other projects/design portfolio
* why is there no mockup/first idea
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:43:06 pm by fav »

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:37:09 pm by wmbutler »