Author Topic: [BBF][worker] Update BitShares' General Public Presentation (new domains inside)  (Read 9656 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I guess its because the main comittee/proxy members are all technical skilled and not in marketing
This is simply .. true!
There are a bunch of nerds and a few businessmen/women and no good marketing people.
I can remember that BitShares has had 2 marketing people and paid them *VERY WELL* (much better than what we pay developers these days) .. but ultimately, it was a waste of time and resources.
There was ZERO outcome.
If you know of someone that can do marketing truely well, please go ahead and engage, propose, delegate and manage!

Offline Thul3

• View Profile
A waste of resources and nothing more.
You know any known project which uses the ending .exchange ?
Just because someone bought the ending doesn't mean you need to buy it from him.I bet $1000 openledger is not going to buy ever the domain openledger.exchange .

You could buy any other domain and use these funds to promote DEX instead.
Dot exchange won't give you any benefit but using these funds to promote DEX would change something.

In gerneral i have to disagree with the action of the committee/Proxies which is wasting a lot of funds for BS instead of using them for marketing DEX.You can basicly say its only being spent for technical staff but not a single cent for marketing.

I guess its because the main comittee/proxy members are all technical skilled and not in marketing
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:00:56 pm by Thul3 »

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
That is a good point about separating .org (for general knowledge and presenting bts in factual/neutral way) and exchange (more sensitive for certain regulatory authorities).  While I think the community and officials can adequately inform the public about the distinctions (protocol vs dapps), best not to invite skepticism before it can be handled in thoughtful manner.

$10k just for the domain bitshares.exchanges is way to expensiv.

I don't see a single dime spent on real marketing .

A simple domain name like bithsares.exchanges brings nothing if it won't be promoted so i can't see the value of $10k for that domain.

I also don't understand why nobody else is stepping in and asking why the domain is so overpriced as it basicly has no value
i asked the same question here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=26167.msg317163#msg317163

@xeroc had statement that domain is purchased directly from the owner - that mean it was not available for regular public sale. It's nothing strange, since I personally know the guy who acquired openledger.exchange for that same purpose -> Reselling it to well known, and potentially interested party in the future.

From another perspective, being someone involved in legal matters around having BitShares in Slovenia and Thailand... separation of Wallet from original bitshares.org in manners such as bitshares.exchange/s can be legally very bold move, helping bitshares.org to present blockchain and technology ONLY, leaving .exchange as independent dApp driven by Community.

Just my thoughts on this, that's all.

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher

A simple domain name like bithsares.exchanges brings nothing if it won't be promoted so i can't see the value of $10k for that domain.

I also don't understand why nobody else is stepping in and asking why the domain is so overpriced as it basicly has no value
i asked the same question here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=26167.msg317163#msg317163

@xeroc had statement that domain is purchased directly from the owner - that mean it was not available for regular public sale. It's nothing strange, since I personally know the guy who acquired openledger.exchange for that same purpose -> Reselling it to well known, and potentially interested party in the future.

From another perspective, being someone involved in legal matters around having BitShares in Slovenia and Thailand... separation of Wallet from original bitshares.org in manners such as bitshares.exchange/s can be legally very bold move, helping bitshares.org to present blockchain and technology ONLY, leaving .exchange as independent dApp driven by Community.

Just my thoughts on this, that's all.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:43:46 am by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline oxarbitrage

Offline Thul3

• View Profile
Actually it does.Since a tld .com can't be compared to a third class domain .exchange. Thats two total diffrent levels of domains.

bitshares.com is first way more easier to get a good ranking in google.
Also anyone who heard the name bitshares will first enter the name bitshares.com as URL and nobody is going to use bitshares.exchange .
The domain has no real value because its not a top level domain .It brings no benefit in regards to SEO and
noone is going to enter that domain himself (Type Ins) which gives a domain value.
So basicly you need to promote that domain to add to it any value.

$10k for a domain ending which is completly unknown to 99% of users.

$250k for bitshares.com is of course also way overpriced but at that time the foundation could register themself a domain for $10-50 and save the money for promotion or anything else
since the domain bitshares.exchanges doesn't add any value to the bitshares network which would justify $10k
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:23:40 pm by Thul3 »

Offline sschiessl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sschiessl
This proposal was at a time when discussion about buying bitshares.com for 250k USD was going on and the future of the bitshares.org domain was uncertain.

With that background 10k USD didn't not sound so bad.

Offline Thul3

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Now that the new UI allows to vote for the new worker, I would kindly remind everyone to evaluate this worker. Thank you for you consideration.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Why is domain costs listed as $15k when they were already purchased? Did you purchase them from 3rd parties? Who paid for that?

bitshares.legal, bitshares.works and bitshares.exchange don't have domain information public, why? Who owns them now?
Those domains have been obtained by ChainSquad GmbH out of pocket. The .exchange domain was the most expensive in
the set with >$10k that were paid to the original owner.
The domain information is not public since the domain is supposed to be migrated to the BitShares Blockchain Foundation
after covering the costs for those domains. The domain bitshares.foundation is somewhat special because it is handed over
to the BBF for usage while the costs are still covered by ChainSquad GmbH.
UItimately, I (as the CEO of ChainSquad GmbH) want those domains to be owned by BBF and my own costs covered.

I suggest the team add extra budget to improve SEO for bitshares.foundation. The reason why those lawyers, exchange and any parties want to contact Bitshares will go bitshares.org because bitshares.org is listed as Top One when Google Search "Bitshare".
I would ask the web devs to do the basic SEO, thanks for letting us know.

The cost should not be "up to $15k" but should be an already-known number.
The domain costs are fixed - the other items are budgets for development

When can we vote on this ?
Actually, the blockchains knows this worker already. A bug in the UI prevents users from voting on it. A fix for this has been merged already and I hope the web devs can make an "early" release

also, will this websites be available fully open under MIT in github ? so we can clone them, send pull requests ? i understand the .legal maybe will not accept pull requests but the others ?
Whatever the community pays will be published Open Source on github.
We intend to make heavy use of jekyll and sphinx.
Those repos will all be placed in the bitshares organization (like committee.bitshares.works repo)

Offline oxarbitrage

please clarify why domains that cost 15 usd each are costing 15,000 usd.

also, will this websites be available fully open under MIT in github ? so we can clone them, send pull requests ? i understand the .legal maybe will not accept pull requests but the others ?