Author Topic: [Committee Member] - johnr's proposal to join the BitShares Committee  (Read 2119 times)

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: johnr
Today I formally announce my intent to join the BitShares Committee. 

As a reminder: the Committee is approved by stakeholders and formally tasked with setting policy for the BitShares blockchain including:

Transaction and trading fees;
Blockchain parameters, such as block size, block interval; &
Referral and vesting parameters such as cash back percentage and vesting periods.

My name is John Conlin (@john-robert on Steem and Discord & @john_robert on Telegram).  I am American and have a B.A. in Economics as well as a law degree (J.D.).  I plan to join a law firm in New York that services hedge funds (who may soon be put out of business by smarter firms on BitShares).

I discovered the Graphene-based chains last summer.  I was hooked.  I watched every public video with Dan Larimer talking about the potential for BitShares to revolutionize finance (BitShares TV: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtICzF0ZEhhgoMA8YWhULw/videos is a great resource for those new to the platform or interested in its beginnings).  For months I could not shake the question of why BTS had yet to have a bigger impact.

This lead me to become more active in the community.  Joining the Discord and Telegram channels where I met great individuals like Kimchi-King, Fav, and Fuzzy.  On BitShares hangouts and in the chat rooms I listened to the community and began taking more upon myself to contribute.  I identified two areas where I could bring value: network infrastructure and legal perspective. 

I partnered with AP Asia Tech, and murda-ra has agreed to personally manage the following active nodes so the network could handle more users: 

scali10.daostreet.com not updated, running
seoul9.daostreet.com not updated, running
frankfurt8.daostreet.com  UP
paris7.daostreet.com  UP
canada6.daostreet.com  UP
ncali5.daostreet.com not updated, running
ohio4.daostreet.com RESTART
virginia3.daostreet.com  RESTART
oregon2.daostreet.com  RESTART

To get these access nodes up and running I paid for them out-of-pocket and in return have learned invaluable lessons about teamwork and completing large projects with a distributed team.

As many of you know, the centralized exchange, Bittrex, halted trading in BTS in the fall of 2017.  This opened my eyes to the serious challenges facing a DAC like BitShares.  In many ways BitShares is vulnerable to adversaries in the real world who have not the time nor interest in understanding what we are doing here.  I contacted a prominent attorney in Los Angeles, Tashiana Hudson, who has dealt with several significant cryptoasset cases.  We discussed BitShares on multiple occasions and I was able to explain some features of the network in a way that assuaged her initial dark thoughts about a pseudonymous decentralized exchange such as BitShares.  I hope to provide value to the community by offering nuanced perspectives to outside agents.  I believe this network can thrive and prosper within the current system of national boundaries and jurisdictions.

Being a member of this community has been my pleasure over the past year.  The people who live around the world, who overcome language barriers, and make the BTS DEX run day and night have my eternal gratitude.  And the best part is it’s only just beginning.  In particular I want to thank Clockwork for his constant wisdom and encouragement.  He gives meaning to the words “It is compromise that prevents each set of reformers from crushing the group on the extreme opposites end of the political spectrum.” - John F. Kennedy “Profiles in Courage” p.5.  I will endeavor to elevate the needs of the group above any singular value or perspective.

My platform principle is the support and sustainability of smartcoins on the DEX.  Native trust-less assets with autonomous and sound collateral ratios (e.g. bitUSD) remains one of the core advantages BitShares holds over the rest of the crypto world.  I will strive to foster innovation for new smartcoins and collaboration and support for existing smartcoins.  For example, I have collaborated with EstefanTT; the developer behind the longest-running crypto-index asset on BitShares (Bit20 and Twentix) and we continue to have a solid working relationship.

I am also an Ambassador for PalmPay, a Point-of-Sale product using the BitShares platform.  PalmPay was developed by KenCode, another BitShares veteran and is an absolute asset to the community.  I hope to join the Committee and help the community make the most of every person working to make BitShares realize it’s full potential.  Thank you.

Steemit: https://steemit.com/@john-robert
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:44:28 am by JohnR »
Active Committee
John Robert Conlin

Offline apasia.tech

Just like to offer firstly a thanks for the mention, and that our full whole-hearted support goes behind this. John is a great young mind and having completed an extensive education in the fields of law and economics, I know from following his studious and professional work around here, it would be a fantastic motivation for him and asset to the community having him as a community member.
Ross Walker - Founder @ apasia.tech
AP Asia Tech Co., LTD.  TAX ID: 0205549016913 - 14/11 Floraville Complex 2, Pattanakarn Soi 51, Suan Luang, Bangkok 10250, Thailand.

Offline kimchi-king

John will be a fantastic addition to the BitShares Committee without out a doubt. He is a man of action which the community always welcomes. I fully support John and hope that others will do the same.

Offline fav

• Administrator
  • No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: fav
Just a quick reality check: how do you imagine the work in committee and what tasks do you think they need to perform?
► How-to Buy BitShares: https://goo.gl/i9j2YZ

Offline Digital Lucifer

As a reminder: the Committee is approved by stakeholders and formally tasked with setting policy for the BitShares blockchain including:

Referral and vesting parameters such as cash back percentage and vesting periods.

re Fav and seems like its perfect set of tasks for someone with B.A. in Economics.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:19:07 am by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (Mike) Preocanin - General Manager @ Syntek Solutions
TOANDI Co., LTD. (BOI Approved) - TAX ID: 0205549016913 - 95/5 Moo 4 Siam Country Club Rd.
Nong Prue, Bang Lamung, Chonburi 20250, Thailand.

Offline fav

• Administrator
  • No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile

re Fav and seems like its perfect set of tasks for someone with B.A. in Economics.

Yep, that's the paper description.

Offline Digital Lucifer

Yep, that's the paper description.

I get your point on this one... :) Lets see what Candidate will answer to Active Member of Committee.
TOANDI Co., LTD. (BOI Approved) - TAX ID: 0205549016913 - 95/5 Moo 4 Siam Country Club Rd.

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
Just a quick reality check: how do you imagine the work in committee and what tasks do you think they need to perform?

Fav,

I will be completely honest with you.  I am not the most experienced person around the BitShares blockchain.  I was not around for AngelShares or the genesis block.  As I said in the OP, I have been learning since I joined BitShares last summer.  So when I imagine work on the Committee, I imagine just that: a lot of work learning from the more senior members.

I am aware that this is not paid position. I also am aware that I know little about committee work from the backend/blockchain side.  I believe that I do have knowledge to help people such as Clockwork and all of the Committee members to improve stability of the blockchain, fees, and reserve pool.  Joining the Committee is not just a position; to me it is about being a good steward for the blockchain on behalf of the people who use it everyday.

I am just a humble guy from Michigan.  But I found some great people in this community.  I will do whatever is asked of me in order to contribute value to this community.

If you would like to speak more in-depth about a specific concrete issue (e.g. network fees on MPAs) I would be happy to do that in another thread.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:41:45 pm by JohnR »
Active Committee
John Robert Conlin

Offline fav

• Administrator
  • No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile

Fav,

I will be completely honest with you.  I am not the most experienced person around the BitShares blockchain.  I was not around for AngelShares or the genesis block.  As I said in the OP, I have been learning since I joined BitShares last summer.  So when I imagine work on the Committee, I imagine just that: a lot of work learning from the more senior members.

I am aware that this is not paid position. I also am aware that I know little about committee work from the backend/blockchain side.  I believe that I do have knowledge to help people such as Clockwork and all of the Committee members to improve stability of the blockchain, fees, and reserve pool.  Joining the Committee is not just a position; to me it is about being a good steward for the blockchain on behalf of the people who use it everyday.

I am just a humble guy from Michigan.  But I found some great people in this community.  I will do whatever is asked of me in order to contribute value to this community.

If you would like to speak more in-depth about a specific concrete issue (e.g. network fees on MPAs) I would be happy to do that in another thread.

much appreciated, but to destroy your illusion: committee is mostly a janitor job. there's no prestige or any other bonus you'll get from it.

I would rather see you becoming a proxy, trying to get influence. influence is where you can make an impact, not the committee, my opinion of course.

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
Fav, a valuable opinion at that.  Thank you for the perspective.
Active Committee
John Robert Conlin

Offline Digital Lucifer

Re: [Committee Member] - johnr's proposal to join the BitShares Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:31:36 am »
John, after this discussion and after I've seen you are on-chain Committee member to be voted, i have nothing else to say, except:

Me, not as any 4profit or non-profit organization/company gave you my vote (with my account steem-not) to become an Active Committee Member.

And be careful if you get upvoted... how easy is to get some, its more easy to lose all ;)

All the best wishes and good luck in this election!

Cheers,

DL.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 09:45:42 am »
much appreciated, but to destroy your illusion: committee is mostly a janitor job. there's no prestige or any other bonus you'll get from it.

I would rather see you becoming a proxy, trying to get influence. influence is where you can make an impact, not the committee, my opinion of course.
This.
There's not much prestige to get as a committee member and it is mostly work and no pay (at all)
Still, I do believe some more business mind is needed in the committee and once the number chrunching thru kibana is done and we get some statistics, we can
surely need someone with experience in economics. I am willing to approve this proposal to also get some freshness into the committee.
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 02:02:52 pm »
Voted,

as per previous responses, proxy is a better way to make a difference at this point but also agree with xeroc.

Offline sschiessl

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 06:33:08 pm »
Voted as well

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 12:07:03 pm »
Honored to have your feedback and support xeroc, clockwork, and sschiessl

I appreciate the important role that both proxies and the committee play in the BTS ecosystem.  Having many proxies representing diverse factions of holders increases the decentralization of power as well as improving voting participation and efficiency.  I see the logic in recommending to become a proxy.  As you know, the proxies interaction with the governance protocol is only affirmative at this time.  Proxy can add their vote or remove their vote if they already support.  If the proxy had more ability to express both affirmative and negative votes I would reconsider campaigning as a proxy.

I prefer an opportunity to make a direct contribution on technical governance.  Rolling up the sleeves to measure and modify efficient fee structures on DEX is the kind of nerdy activity I am looking for.  I will study the economic state of the native DEX and share all conclusions and recommendations   

I do not mind saying that I have a strong preference for smartcoins and believe fees should encourage their prosperity and fecundity.  I look forward to joining your discussions about details like network fees.  And I am optimistic about the future of BitShares and look forward to working the great team of decentralized and talented people in this governance community.
Active Committee
John Robert Conlin