Author Topic: Important and urgent appeal to the witnesses and members of the Committee!!!  (Read 6511 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
I'd opt for no.
Saying yes even once opens a big can of worms and means we'd have to evaluate every such request. Committee could be DDoS'd :D

If there is no real reason why "allow issuer to override transfers" has been left on (@abit?) i'd be in favour of disabling it.

+1
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Thom

And so people have to lose money because of their random mistakes?

Well, that's how people learn. It's a matter of being responsible for the decisions you make and the actions you take.

Sad they're necessary, but it's best for the safety of those who have already learned the hard lesson you're in the middle of.

I am also in favor of removing the "asset owner can transfer asset back to himself" permission on committee controlled bit assets like BitUSD, BitCNY, BitEUR etc. We call these "trustless assets", but it appears whoever set these assets up initially didn't set permissions according to a truly trustless model.

Best of luck to you in the future. Perhaps one day you'll understand the ramifications to others of what you're asking.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline matle85

• View Profile
My vote would be for disabling it. I don't think it would be ever used anyway and having the option there undermines it in the same way it does for Circles USD Coin (guess you guys have seen the same posts as me in recent days highlighting this owner feature allowing them to block accounts and transfer the asset back).

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
If there is no real reason why "allow issuer to override transfers" has been left on (@abit?) i'd be in favour of disabling it.
I have no clue why it's there.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
This turns into a general question: Should the committee ever force-transfer (revert) wrong transfers even if they can be proven without any doubt?

If the question to that answer is "yes", there are a couple things that need to be done *BEFORE* actions can taken:
* 100% prove that the transfer was "wrong" and a reversal is legally and morally o.k.
* a procedure as to WHO does WHAT in case of a refersal (e.g. should the committee become intermediary of funds for a few weeks?)
* Fees need to be paid because it is a manual process - how much? who would get that fee? 50%+1 of committee need to agree still!

If the answer is "no", then we need to
* educate people more about the finality of transfers (i thin we do a good job at that already)
* should committee opt out of the "allow issuer to overwrite transfers"? permission to end this once and for all?

I'd opt for no.
Saying yes even once opens a big can of worms and means we'd have to evaluate every such request. Committee could be DDoS'd :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
This turns into a general question: Should the committee ever force-transfer (revert) wrong transfers even if they can be proven without any doubt?

If the question to that answer is "yes", there are a couple things that need to be done *BEFORE* actions can taken:
* 100% prove that the transfer was "wrong" and a reversal is legally and morally o.k.
* a procedure as to WHO does WHAT in case of a refersal (e.g. should the committee become intermediary of funds for a few weeks?)
* Fees need to be paid because it is a manual process - how much? who would get that fee? 50%+1 of committee need to agree still!

If the answer is "no", then we need to
* educate people more about the finality of transfers (i thin we do a good job at that already)
* should committee opt out of the "allow issuer to overwrite transfers"? permission to end this once and for all?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Technically, the bitUSD asset type is owned by committee-account, and the permission "asset owner can transfer asset back to himself" is not disabled, so it's possible for the committee to transfer some amount of bitUSD from one account to another account, e.g. transfer back the bitUSD from the old account to your new account.

However, we've never done so in the past because it's controversial and can lead to scamming. Also it may put the committee or certain committee members to unexpected liabilities.

In this case, if the lost bitUSD is really important for you, I'd recommend that you start a some sort of charity fundraiser asks for donation.

Should this be turned off?

I noticed a quite a few posts highting that a new stable coin had this feature and was therefore a sign it is not a real cryptocurrency.

I can imagine cases where it might be desirable to transfer bitUSD back but should it really be a technical option? It feels like it goes against the whole idea of the DEX.
BitShares as a platform provides such features for asset owners who need it.

BitUSD as a special asset may or may not need it.

Offline seyseich66

And so people have to lose money because of their random mistakes?

Offline matle85

• View Profile
Technically, the bitUSD asset type is owned by committee-account, and the permission "asset owner can transfer asset back to himself" is not disabled, so it's possible for the committee to transfer some amount of bitUSD from one account to another account, e.g. transfer back the bitUSD from the old account to your new account.

However, we've never done so in the past because it's controversial and can lead to scamming. Also it may put the committee or certain committee members to unexpected liabilities.

In this case, if the lost bitUSD is really important for you, I'd recommend that you start a some sort of charity fundraiser asks for donation.

Should this be turned off?

I noticed a quite a few posts highting that a new stable coin had this feature and was therefore a sign it is not a real cryptocurrency.

I can imagine cases where it might be desirable to transfer bitUSD back but should it really be a technical option? It feels like it goes against the whole idea of the DEX.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

Dear abit!
Could you tell me, please, in what section of the forum it is better to announce the collection of donations? Directly in this thread or better create a new one?
This forum is almost dead IMHO. Only this board has some activities. You can also try steemit.com . By the way, people have seen too many scams. A fundraiser may or may not work.

Offline armin

• View Profile
It's very controversial to use committee to force the UIA back - not a good time for this at the moment (it's a bear market)

Offline R

• View Profile

This would be setting a bad precedent, seizing bitUSD from accounts isn't good - it's not an UIA. I'd far prefer to see those permissions/flags permanently disabled instead of using them to seize funds from an account with minimal proof of account ownership. The funds in question should be considered burned until OP can remember his account credentials.

OP, I don't think you're going to get donations but you could try in the 'random discussion' sub-forum.

Offline seyseich66

Like CustomMiner and abit said it is technically possible but has never been done. Your proof does not provide a 100% guarantee, and who takes the liability if anything were to happen? Are you willing to fully identify yourself and reimburse the actual receiver if he ever were to surface? You still have the question who you would identify yourself to, and how a reimbursement like that would be decided. I don't think it's the committee that should do that.

An entity with such an authority could be, or even must be created via a votes worker proposal IMO.

I am 1000% sure this is my account and am willing to go through a full identification of my identity if Committee members ask me to do so. Also, I am willing to reimburse 100% of the amount the account owner seyseich66 (because that is who I am). By the way, who knows how, could check from what IP-address was registered this account. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of my IP addresses.

Offline seyseich66

Dear abit!
Could you tell me, please, in what section of the forum it is better to announce the collection of donations? Directly in this thread or better create a new one?