Author Topic: Allow non-LTM accounts to be referrers?  (Read 11820 times)

Offline Thul3

• View Profile
$100 isn't a lot to ask for LTM. If they can't do that, I doubt they have a legit stream of users to refer.

I don't know any webmaster who would pay for being able to advertise something.
Webmasters who needed to pay to be able to advertise something was in the 90's .

Who is going to waste $100 to to test if a refferal system is profitable or not ?
It's you who wants their traffic and not the other way round.

Remember traffic is KING ....always was so and always will be and if you don't fit their requirements they have plenty of other lucrative offers where they can send their traffic for profit.

Also somebody demanding to invest $100 to be able to test a refferal system is normally a scam and as such majority of webmasters are leaving it alone.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:01:29 am by Thul3 »

Offline sschiessl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sschiessl
How about we add somewhere on the website a text a la:

"Want to refer users to BitShares on a commercial basis? Contact marketing@bitshares.org and we will help you set up with what you need!"

I have no problem buying interested webmasters an LTM (after evaluating their inquiry), either through marketing worker or reference faucet worker.

Offline R

• View Profile
$100 isn't a lot to ask for LTM. If they can't do that, I doubt they have a legit stream of users to refer.

Offline Norman48

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Shirley
The referer parser enrichment uses the Snowplow referer-parser to extract attribution data from referer URLs. You can provide a list of internal subdomains which will be treated as "internal" rather than unknown UPSers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:14:38 am by Norman48 »

Offline bitstopia2049

• View Profile
@bitstopia2049 your opinions make perfect sense. This is the correct direction to discuss.

I do agree that we need to find a balance among the parties. It's good to follow the KISS principle (Keep It Stupid Simple), due to this, we need to think twice when adding restrictions.

IMHO it would look better if we don't restrict how much a non-LTM account can earn via referral program, nor restrict when she must upgrade (IMHO it should be decided by herself). It's the potential unlimited income that incentives people to work harder.

Also please be aware when a non-LTM earned enough to upgrade to a LTM, it's possible that her registrar and referrer have earned much more from her. For example, we can define the rule as: non-LTM accounts need to split 80% of their referral earnings to her registrar and referrer, just like 80% of their paid fees would go to the referral program. So this feature would largely benefit current registrars and LTM referrers. We can discuss how much percentage is best.

By the way, would you like to reformat your post by re-adding the missing "[ / quote]"s to improve its readability?

100% agree with the KISS principle!....As seen with "scam proposals"  it is easy to misinterpret rules...(and more costly for the target in a decentralized system)

OK...I see your point about allowing for the potential of unlimited income and giving this type of income earning freedom to non-LTM Members is a powerful incentive..My initial response was focused on the MLM concern..Thul3 indicates it's not a worry.

I could easily foresee the captain or another influential member of the soccer team becoming an expert in BTS features and educating her teammates and inspiring them to do the same.  Maybe she can earn supplemental income from instructional meetups or presenting monthly Webinars to a wider community of family, friends, classmates, co-workers...etc.,  People can be quite creative if given the right opportunity.....(At that point even the team OWNER(S) would welcome a briefing..Ha!)

I think you may have hit upon the right catalyst Abit..!     {Maybe their ambition is even bigger, like buying their own team) 

BitShares just needs at least a local consumer goods retailer or distributor -- to form a partnership where bitCNY--bitUSD -- bitXXX is accepted..

.It's coming anyway, sooner or later whether BTS makes moves or not.
  https://decrypt.co/8195/retail-giant-walmart-mulls-centralized-stablecoin

One successful collaboration is all it takes and other businesses will follow..

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
@bitstopia2049 your opinions make perfect sense. This is the correct direction to discuss.

I do agree that we need to find a balance among the parties. It's good to follow the KISS principle (Keep It Stupid Simple), due to this, we need to think twice when adding restrictions.

IMHO it would look better if we don't restrict how much a non-LTM account can earn via referral program, nor restrict when she must upgrade (IMHO it should be decided by herself). It's the potential unlimited income that incentives people to work harder.

Also please be aware when a non-LTM earned enough to upgrade to a LTM, it's possible that her registrar and referrer have earned much more from her. For example, we can define the rule as: non-LTM accounts need to split 80% of their referral earnings to her registrar and referrer, just like 80% of their paid fees would go to the referral program. So this feature would largely benefit current registrars and LTM referrers. We can discuss how much percentage is best.

By the way, would you like to reformat your post by re-adding the missing "[/quote]"s to improve its readability?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline bitstopia2049

• View Profile
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/186

Currently only LTMs can be referrers. This caused a problem that in order to earn money, you need to invest some money first, IMHO this drives away potential marketers E.G. small bloggers.

This BSIP proposes a protocol change to allow non-LTM accounts to refer new accounts. The referral income that a non-LTM referrer earned will be split to herself, her registrar and her referrer. If she upgrades to LTM, her future referral income will be kept by herself.

Risks:
This change will potentially turn the referral program into a MLM scheme, which could be illegal in some jurisdictions (I am not a layer, please correct me if I'm wrong), although every account has the option to upgrade to LTM to stop sharing new referral income to the registrar and referrer.

support...

Maybe one option to circumvent any MLM concerns is to tag and vest the referral income as a recurring payment towards acquiring  LTM  status?
You mean the blockchain automatically upgrade an account to LTM when she contributed enough to her registrar and referrer due to either self-paid fees or MLM referral income? I guess this is not in the interest of the registrars and referrers (they expect to earn more) thus will harm the whole eco-system.

Yes I'm sure they expect to earn more ..but they can't have it both ways...  Your proposal is based on the assumption that Basic Members can help GROW the BTS ecosystem..

So the choice is to maintain the status quo and get nothing or modify the rules to allow Basic Members to earn referral income...

It is better to get some percentage of an expanding universe of payments versus getting 100% of a static or shrinking system.. 

The registrars and referrers will also benefit from an increased BTS price, market cap, liquidity, smartcoin production, trading volume, etc.,

I think under this proposal that the Basic Member should be limited to EARNING enough referral income to be upgraded to LTM status.  This will at least guarantee that the registrar/referrer would be rewarded with referral income thru that time period..

OR alternatively restrict the upgrade to the Annual Membership which could be modified to allow for earning referral income to be split with the registrar/ referrer for 1 year..

and

If that Basic Member's financial status changes during the period and she can afford to purchase a LTM there is nothing stopping them from establishing a 2nd (or more) account(s)

Maybe their could be two types....LTM  and  LiteM ...to reflect a Basic Members upgrade via referral income..?

One thing.... there has to be clear rules that indicate an exemption from any price increase if the committee decides to raise the price of LTM during the "earning" period ..

and similarly accommodations have to be made if the LTM price is decreased  because BTS is rising so that she does not overpay.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:30:51 pm by bitstopia2049 »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

Currently only LTMs can be referrers. This caused a problem that in order to earn money, you need to invest some money first, IMHO this drives away potential marketers E.G. small bloggers.

This BSIP proposes a protocol change to allow non-LTM accounts to refer new accounts. The referral income that a non-LTM referrer earned will be split to herself, her registrar and her referrer. If she upgrades to LTM, her future referral income will be kept by herself.

Risks:
This change will potentially turn the referral program into a MLM scheme, which could be illegal in some jurisdictions (I am not a layer, please correct me if I'm wrong), although every account has the option to upgrade to LTM to stop sharing new referral income to the registrar and referrer.

support...

Maybe one option to circumvent any MLM concerns is to tag and vest the referral income as a recurring payment towards acquiring  LTM  status?
You mean the blockchain automatically upgrade an account to LTM when she contributed enough to her registrar and referrer due to either self-paid fees or MLM referral income? I guess this is not in the interest of the registrars and referrers (they expect to earn more) thus will harm the whole eco-system.

Offline Thul3

• View Profile
Am supporting it.Thats something i asked from the beginning.

Multi level provisionon refferes is already industry standard so there should be no legal problems.

Offline bitstopia2049

• View Profile

Risks:

support...

Offline btstodamoon

• View Profile
同意,现在a神越来越扛把子了

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

Risks:
This change will potentially turn the referral program into a MLM scheme, which could be illegal in some jurisdictions (I am not a lawyer, please correct me if I'm wrong), although every account has the option to upgrade to LTM to stop sharing new referral income to the registrar and referrer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:42:59 pm by abit »