Author Topic: Selling Feature of Bitshares DNS  (Read 4173 times)

Offline oco101

• View Profile
To add to that I think it clear that the direct to consumer route for a DNS system will not work. Namecoin tried this and failed. Bitcoin users might be interested to install the software, but the other 99% percent of the consumer base won't care enough to install some plugins for some obscure domain name system. You can beat the network effect of the system the entire internet uses.

This would be my strategy if I was running Bitshares DNS:

1) Create Bitshares DNS to spec
2) Create a traditional company
3) Have that company create APIs that allow easy support with legacy DNS systems.
4) Make tons of money selling the APIs to backbone. You reduce the workload of backbone providers by 90%. You can save the hundreds of millions of dollars while getting Bitshares DNS out there. Blockchain based DNS system solved:

• Domain Squatting
  • DNS Poisoning
  • Long DNS Propagation Times
  • No need for specialized hardware anymore. Just needs to be able to run the Bitshares Client.
  • Eliminates downtime and censorship

5) Suddenly now everyone supports the system with no effort on the part of the users

You missed the secure protection against man in the middle attacks.  (compromised SSL certs)
Indeed. You could do awesome things if you added Keyhotee to the mix. Using basic public-private key encryption you could create secure channels of communications between the server and user. Resistant to man in the middle attacks as you stated.
+1

Offline super3

• View Profile
To add to that I think it clear that the direct to consumer route for a DNS system will not work. Namecoin tried this and failed. Bitcoin users might be interested to install the software, but the other 99% percent of the consumer base won't care enough to install some plugins for some obscure domain name system. You can beat the network effect of the system the entire internet uses.

3) Have that company create APIs that allow easy support with legacy DNS systems.
4) Make tons of money selling the APIs to backbone. You reduce the workload of backbone providers by 90%. You can save the hundreds of millions of dollars while getting Bitshares DNS out there. Blockchain based DNS system solved:

• Domain Squatting
  • DNS Poisoning
  • No need for specialized hardware anymore. Just needs to be able to run the Bitshares Client.

5) Suddenly now everyone supports the system with no effort on the part of the users

You missed the secure protection against man in the middle attacks.  (compromised SSL certs)
Indeed. You could do awesome things if you added Keyhotee to the mix. Using basic public-private key encryption you could create secure channels of communications between the server and user. Resistant to man in the middle attacks as you stated.

Offline bytemaster

• Domain Squatting
  • DNS Poisoning

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
It's best to disable case sensitive
and do you have some rules for the domain name string?

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Has been pointed out yet? I think the best feature of Bitshares DNS is propagation. With the current DNS system you can wait 24-48 hours to get your correct settings to go through. With a blockchain system this is whatever the block time is. Top level providers can simply replace their current systems with Bitshares DNS as a back end because it solves all the propagation and issues that they spend 90% of their time trying to fix.

Its an easy sell to the backbone providers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Propagation is really important . It should be fast. Also another thing is the delegation of records. How is it to be created and organized?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
That's a great point, ultimately this should be something we market to internet backbone companies. I still think getting the user-facing stuff done first is a good idea because it's so easy (just a browser extension) and will give the crypto community something to play with and hype up. With the force of a few hundred big players advocating for it it should be easier to make it "official" (whatever that means).
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline super3

• View Profile

• Domain Squatting
  • DNS Poisoning

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:52:00 pm by super3 »

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
+5%, looking forward Bitshares DNS

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Has been pointed out yet? I think the best feature of Bitshares DNS is propagation. With the current DNS system you can wait 24-48 hours to get your correct settings to go through. With a blockchain system this is whatever the block time is. Top level providers can simply replace their current systems with Bitshares DNS as a back end because it solves all the propagation and issues that they spend 90% of their time trying to fix.

Egad, Super3, brilliant!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline super3

• View Profile