Author Topic: Newbie question!  (Read 6368 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Why would someone pay a lot to buy a popular name like google if in the future he risk to get legally chased and probably in this world that we live will lose the legal battle?

Why indeed?
On the other hand, why wouldn't someone buy it if it was cheap, since it's the first domain anyone would try? That kicks off the auction.

Nobody has violated any license with this software. ICANN and Google are completely separate entities. This would just be a standard trademark lawsuit, just like if you used "google" in a TV ad they would come after you, not the TV station. If you're not in a country with similar laws to the US, it's possible google couldn't do anything.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Thank you very much Toast!!

Just one question. Why would someone pay a lot to buy a popular name like google if in the future he risk to get legally chased and probably in this world that we live will lose the legal battle?

The question is if chased legally by google in the future why would google win? Because we have violated the ICANN license and have created something completely decentralized probably isn't it? I really want to understand the logic behind what we want to do here and why someone could win that battle in the future..

Again thank you very much!

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Bitshares DNS doesn't have to do anything with ICANN, correct? We don't need any license from ICANN to use .dns or .p2p?
correct
All domain names will be registered in Bitshares DNS blockchain so anyone who wants to use that domain name will have to use the Bitshares program?
correct - I imagine web-based explorers/clients will pop up
So this is something completely different from the current internet? if i have zeus.dns and someone types zeus.dns in the explorer nothing will come out?
Only people who use the bitshares blockchain wll be able to see zeus.dns?
In the short term, only people with the browser extension will see it. Marketable like, "your portal to freedom!"
Even if i buy google.dns, Google will not be interested to buy that name unless Bitshares DNS becomes popular? Or I am not allowed to create google.dns?
Anyone can buy it, but rest assured they will pay a high price for it. Look at the video to see the auction mechanic explanation
If I am allowed to created google.dns and in the future bitshares DNS becomes very popular google will probably chase me legally isn't it?

Probably
Will there be only zeus.dns or could also be zeus.p2p, zeus.lol etc?
Planning for only one TLD.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Bitshares DNS doesn't have to do anything with ICANN, correct? We don't need any license from ICANN to use .dns or .p2p?

All domain names will be registered in Bitshares DNS blockchain so anyone who wants to use that domain name will have to use the Bitshares program?
So this is something completely different from the current internet? if i have zeus.dns and someone types zeus.dns in the explorer nothing will come out?
Only people who use the bitshares blockchain wll be able to see zeus.dns? Even if i buy google.dns, Google will not be interested to buy that name unless Bitshares DNS becomes popular? Or I am not allowed to create google.dns? If I am allowed to created google.dns and in the future bitshares DNS becomes very popular google will probably chase me legally isn't it?
Will there be only zeus.dns or could also be zeus.p2p, zeus.lol etc?

Please someone explain in very very basic terms how this will work so i get a better picture. That is all new for me... :(

Thank you very much!