Author Topic: CHAIN FORK COMING....  (Read 28789 times)

Offline kLee

• View Profile
http://invictus-innovations.com/downloads

Site not responding when I click the mac download link - probably due to heavy traffic..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
cant seem to download the new protshareqt2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Mirror:

protoshares-0.2.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/duiljvc8y0mvhqc/protoshares-0.2.0.zip
signed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc6c7zvs0aq1xtq/protoshares-0.2.0.zip.sig

PGP https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0x42AE2EF358FB9C46
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (MingW32)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSf6KmAAoJEEKuLvNY+5xG3NkH/izN5lz4g/BAIPmr6tG4C5Yj
+7XzeU2sqmY1XQ3vocQvKc5tOFkcOOgiIvnbx2uLmwOhY4mswxw8jM/6ArG1h6tM
Jz5MvJ34d7MnxvEYOBQrFo+PYoprpK22ePwWOOKHug+e1jbSaKtMIyD/6SgG0+E6
+dKHoxNvgJsk2ibBjG5wotqVwMf21PaHeHax5X2DS9aiL693FFhN/8uuX4x0Zx+N
Ebt8eoLD+LaY5rfA55D+wr92a8epIYva81T5nsikZA+Mgri1tNKEpbA5pqdkT05a
EWfjPAmbMEmZr/IwLOG+rXHRBPiwNJL60b7L58ec0qO3t2cm+ck73amOIrZymK8=
=j01Z
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Offline Fablio2

• View Profile
Can't sync.
Any addnodes?

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

The old miners will just make an 4x adjustment. They accept any blocks whether it be the ones generates with lower diff (4x increase) or higher diff (32x increase max).

No, I think we'll see a clean fork -

// Check proof of work
        if (nBits != GetNextWorkRequired(pindexPrev, this))
            return state.DoS(100, error("AcceptBlock() : incorrect proof of work"));

If nBits doesn't match the expected value, the block be rejected outright.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline gabainc

• View Profile
is this suppose to help solo mining?

Offline bytemaster

how do i update it? downlaod and then what

Just run it rather than your old wallet... done.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Very risky move. If you look at how protocol changes in other altcoins have been handled, where has always been a grace period of at least a couple of days. This gives all miners the time needed to update to a newer version.

What is going to happen if you don't get the majority of miners to adopt the new protocol in time?

That said, I've updated my miners (300+ cores) to the new protocol version. Lets hope that we get through this smooth.

I have a pool with 3000 miners that has migrated and the other major pool has too.   

Solo mining already takes a week so only 10% of the solo miners will be effected because the rest would not have found anything anyway.  If the difficulty adjusted as it should then these solo miners also wouldn't have gotten anything.  I think it will be smooth as these things go.

That is not how this works. All solo miners with the old version of the miner can be seen together as one entity with a certain hash rate. It doesn't matter that some people are not getting any blocks, some will. And its not only miners who have to upgrade, also people who just use the software to make transactions.

This could be ugly:

The old miners will just make an 4x adjustment. They accept any blocks whether it be the ones generates with lower diff (4x increase) or higher diff (32x increase max).

The new miners reject blocks with lower diff (the ones with 4x adjustment), because these blocks don't match the new requirement. However they will produce blocks much slower than the old version of the miner, so many people using an older version of the software will make invalid transactions!

Thus: Any payments made with an older version of the client could get lost and someone falling for that could easily be scammed.

Good point, well we are committed now... hold on to your PTS!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline gabainc

• View Profile
how do i update it? downlaod and then what

Offline bytemaster

We are working on mirrors...

Offline gabainc

• View Profile

Offline Proto

• View Profile
Very risky move. If you look at how protocol changes in other altcoins have been handled, where has always been a grace period of at least a couple of days. This gives all miners the time needed to update to a newer version.

What is going to happen if you don't get the majority of miners to adopt the new protocol in time?

That said, I've updated my miners (300+ cores) to the new protocol version. Lets hope that we get through this smooth.

I have a pool with 3000 miners that has migrated and the other major pool has too.   

Solo mining already takes a week so only 10% of the solo miners will be effected because the rest would not have found anything anyway.  If the difficulty adjusted as it should then these solo miners also wouldn't have gotten anything.  I think it will be smooth as these things go.

That is not how this works. All solo miners with the old version of the miner can be seen together as one entity with a certain hash rate. It doesn't matter that some people are not getting any blocks, some will. And its not only miners who have to upgrade, also people who just use the software to make transactions.

This could be ugly:

The new miners reject blocks with lower diff (the ones with 4x adjustment), because these blocks don't match the new requirement. However they will produce blocks much slower than the old version of the miner, so many people using an older version of the software will make invalid transactions!

Thus: Any payments made with an older version of the client could get lost and someone falling for that could easily be scammed.

Offline hasher

• View Profile

i hope this community will get what it intended to get, but if it not get enough adoption its going in wrong centralized direction which is not what P2P currency mean.

My plan is to decentralize everything, so I am actively looking into decentralized mining pools.
i wish you (and myself) good luck in developing this currency.

Offline bytemaster

i hope this community will get what it intended to get, but if it not get enough adoption its going in wrong centralized direction which is not what P2P currency mean.

My plan is to decentralize everything, so I am actively looking into decentralized mining pools.   

Offline hasher

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Solo mining already takes a week so only 10% of the solo miners will be effected because the rest would not have found anything anyway.  If the difficulty adjusted as planned pre-fork, then only 2.5% of the solo miners will lose a block and with the orphan rate you would have to assume that only 1.25% of solo miners will lose.

On the other hand the fork gives these solo miners a chance to win more over the longer term rather than having it all go to early adopters who know how to spawn up VPS cloud mining.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:44:06 pm by bytemaster »